Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Atridthortith - 'Blossomspell'  (Read 3082 times)

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
Atridthortith - 'Blossomspell'
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »

As an aspiring author, I treat this as just a way to practice, but felt that I ought to share it with the rest of the world. Because you might like to see it. ^^
This story is about one of my current forts in 40d. (I still use 40d mainly because 31.03's a bit buggy for my liking. Things like the vermin bug annoys me beyond belief, but also the fact Visual Fortress is only available on 40d... what? I LIKE VF!)
Anyway, here goes. I've kept this as narrative as possible, seen through the viewpoint of my hunter. I've used each dwarf's individuality as a template for their characters, as well as added a fitting back story to match their personalities.

'Fikod Erithuvel, I have found your son guilty of murder and mutilation, and I charge you with assisted murder. How do you plead?'
   Fikod stared up at the captain of the guard with a grim horror reflecting off his eyes. 'For the last freaking time, I had no idea my so-'
   'SILENCE! Guilty or innocent!' The Captain of the Guard screamed, blasting the hushed whispers of the assorted crowd into a stunned silence. Mestthos sighed.
   His son, a sickly and depressive child, had recently been struck with a maddening rage, by memories of when his mother was slaughtered by a kobold in front of him just a few seasons back. He had claimed the butcher's workshop by night, and sat in there brooding with malicious intent. Fikod had no idea what his son was planning, truely enough. Instead, his son had acted entirely off his own independance, and it was the first time he had gotten up after narrowly escaping the same kobold with his life.
   In the recesses of his mind, Fikod knew this was all his fault... he had stolen the key to the butchery late one night, intending to talk to his son again over his irrational act. Instead, as the lock in the door had clicked open, the young boy had burst off and was hobbling quickly down the corridor. Before Fikod had the chance to pick up his thoughts, he saw his son dragging the general's wife from her quarters, kicking and screaming, into the workshop. The guards who had followed this child so far caught Fikod red-handed, stood bewildered in the middle of the corridor, key lying in his open palm.
   'Well?' The Guard Captain asked.
   Stood in the middle of the arena, with most of the rest of the population of the fortress above him, Fikod made his pleas.
   'Guilty,' He stated.

That was six months ago. Fikod Erithuvel, Zon Gerig's widely known hunter and disgraced father, was sentenced to exile, after being forced to watch his son being torn apart by the resident cave spider that had been trapped, wild, in the recesses of the pit.
   He hadn't left alone. He and 6 other dwarves, also convicted of numerous crimes across the city, had been shunted out of the mountains and into the forbidding wastes beyond. Each had thier own stories to tell, but all of them were not truely the villians at heart the world had made them out to be, instead either framed of their 'crimes', or like Mestthos, who had been closely associated with a crime they truely had nothing to do with.

First of these dwarves was Eshtan, a real gentle giant in his twilight years. He had been involved in a mining accident that was caused by poor planning, sending a huge clod of soil through the entire noble's quarters. The Guard Captain had accused him of sabotage, and the onlookers knew better than to stand against such an accusation. They tethered him to a post outside the entrance as a warning to all who may enter as to what lawbreakers were treated like. He was later exiled for treason and witchcraft, as he had carved a small figurine into the archways with the likeness of the baron himself, and driven a chisel clean through the figurine's chest. He had left alongside Mestthos, taking pity on the hunter after seeing part of the display in the pit a few days prior.
   Logem Keldumat was a woodcutter and a skilled carpenter, having spent years training under her father. She was exiled for her complete disrespect of authority and numerous infringements on mandate orders. She and Domas had wandered the forests outside of Zon Gerig for a few months, before their camp was discovered by Mestthos after he too had been exiled.
   Domas Morulistbar was always a natrual leader, once an aspiring member of the fortress guard, and was quick to take up on the idea of leading a small party of exiles to their new home. He had put himself into exile after saving Logem from her fate at the fangs of the spider, to avoid any repercussions on his place or life. He had also managed to barter a few trinkets, including the ring that Fikod was given by his son before he slaughtered, in return for a wagon, and a year's worth of supplies. When asked about why he saved Logem's life, he quickly changes the subject, usually with a weary glance to see if she's listening.
   Mestthis Allasshorast, old friend of Eshtan, had been outraged by the shame his friend went through, being chained up half-naked at the entryway into the fort, and failed an attempt to rescue the old man. Fikod escaped into the wilderness, where he drove himself mad with starvation until he was finally discovered by Domas and his band of exiles, where he slowly began his return to civilisation.
   Shorast Athelod had a unique mind. She was an artist, an extremely talented craftswoman. She was also known as a 'devil in the kitchen', for her skill in culinary abilities. She had wandered away from the fortress early one morning in search of inspiration, and never returned - instead she had walked straight into the growing group of exiles, and had decided to leave her poverty-striken past in Zon Gerig behind.
   Finally, Zaneg Dodoksarek, who had always been a selfish, yet dutiful dwarf, he had entered Zon Gerig as a lowly peasant and had filled in as many odd jobs as he could, in hopes to endear himself to the nobility. When he had become the cheif butcher of the fortress and a skilled brewer to boot, he became wrapped up in the case of Fikod's son's murder - Zaneg had also been scrutinised, for allowing the child to claim his butchery in the first place. He had stormed out in rage, and soon found himself travelling alongside the other exiles.

Deep in the opposite side of thier home mountain range, The Problematic Spikes, the seven exiles had finally found a place to settle, at the dawning of history. But would their little band, Ulengdomas, 'The lost guild', hope to survive long in the savage wastes that were to become Atridthortith, 'Blossomspell'?

'Domas?'
   'Yes?'
   '...Are we there yet?'
   'Oh, do stop bothering me with that Fikod, dammit! We won't be on the wagon much longer now. Atridthotith is only a few leagues away.'
   Fikod sighed with relief. 'Good,' He muttered, dangling a pair of cramped legs over the edge of the stuffed wagon. He respected the archietect and his amazing charisma, but couldn't help being so frustrated at the way he took complete authority over a situation. Like the way he had bartered away Fikod's only real material possesion besides his clothes and crossbow, in return for supplies. A neccesary sacrifice, but Fikod had only remained on speaking terms with the supposed leader because he had gotten a shiny new set of slick leather armor from the deal, mostly crafted from the tanned hides of giant rats, creatures known for their thick hides. An odd gift, but Fikod was an odd person.
   Besides, the shock of losing his son was so distant now. They had been on the road for six months, and Fikod had grown distant from his past in that time. Besides, Shorast was right. The best cure he could have for the past was to cast off his memories and begin anew, and she had even offered to take him through the entire ritual neccesary to pledge himself to the god Doren, which he had found unneccesary. Not that that had ever stopped him from feeling melancholic from time to time, his mind scarred by the last images of his son clawing at the sides of the pit, huge fangs digging into the heart of his back.
   Fikod blinked the images from his eyes. He didn't want to think about that now, no matter how unavoidable it was. Remember what Shorast has said, he told himself.
   'Remember what I said,' Shorast's voice echoed Fikod's exact thoughts. An uncanny habit of hers was to know exactly what you were thinking from the slightest signs - so much of a look could tell her everything.
   With a sigh, Fikod turned to the front of the wagon again.
   'Domas...'
   'Not yet!'

A picture of the embark locale.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:17:28 pm by Libelnon »
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
Re: Atridthortith - 'Blossomspell'
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »

First impressions of Blossomspell

Fikod was awoken with a jolt, staring up at the roof of the wagon. Or at least, if Domas hadn't stuck his head in the way and was now shaking him awake.
   'What?' Fikod spat. Dwarves don't make good morning people.
   'Guess,' The corners of Domas' beard curled upwards, hiding a grin. Fikod glared at him, with an expression that shared none of this same humor.
   Fikod pulled himself into a sitting position, brushing straw off his greased leather chest guard. 'So?' He inquired, glare fixed in the depths of Domas' blue eyes.
   Domas sighed. 'I thought you'd be happy to know that.'
   'I'd be happier with a few hours unbroken sleep. Piss off,' Fikod ordered.
   His grin suddenly wiped off his face, Domas shuffled to the back of the wagon and leapt out. Fikod rolled over, shut his eyes, and went back to sleep.

'That's it?' Fikod asked, as he came to join his fellow exiles on the hillside. 'I thought Domas said this would be a beautiful place?'
   'It is, in it's own way,' Shorast replied. Zaneg, who was stood next to her, grunted in agreement.
   Fikod turned to get a better view of the surrounding countryside. The sun was creeping up over the distant mountain peaks, bathing the surrounding area in a sea of golden hues. Colourful displays of different butterflies fluttered around peaceful, cool waters of the brook, and a pair of deer could be seen grazing beside the brook a little further up. The entire grassland surrounding the hill was covered in a loose woodland, and if you watched carefully you could see the local wildlife skitting about in the undergrowth.
   Shorast turned to face Fikod. 'Why, what were you expecting?' She mused.
   'Well... I had expected the hills to have a bit more colour,' Fikod replied, kicking a pebble with his foot.
   Surely enough, the hill was bare. Apart from the odd boulder or misplaced patch of gorse, the hillside looked like a sloped, bare wall of a quarry.
   'I didn't exactly mean th-' Shorast muttered, but was interuppted mid-word by Zaneg.
   'Fikod?' Zaneg asked, in a tone of voice that could only really be described as 'sly'.
   'Yes?' Fikod replied.
   'Haven't you a job to do?' Shorast shot Zaneg an angry glare.
   'Desperate to get to work already?' Fikod joked. Zaneg didn't look pleased, but Shorast had to stifle a giggle.
   Domas, who had been busy conversing with the other exiles, inserted himself into the conversation. 'Zaneg's right, Fikod. You've got a job to do.'
   Fikod's smug grin was replaced by a frown. 'But-'
   'But nothing. Don't worry, Zaneg has work of his own to deal with.' Domas said.
   'I do?' Zaneg muttered, bewildered.
   'You've got a butchery to build,' Domas ordered, fixing his authorial gaze on Zaneg, who scurried off to the bottom of the hill. Domas turned to face Fikod. 'Well?'
   Fikod sighed, and turned around to face Shorast, who gave him a sympathetic look. Hitching his greaves up, he too scurried down the side of the hill, leaving Shorast, Domas and the other dwarves to their conversations. A lone bolt rested in the groove of his crossbow - he was ready to hunt.

Davie

• Bay Watcher
  • The King of Explodia
    • View Profile
    • I draw stuff here.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »

Great story so far!  Your narrative style is quite nice, and I'm eager to see where it'll all end up.  The visualizer "illustrations" are nice too.  Keep at it!
Goddamn wizards.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »

Thanks Davie, it always helps to know someone appreciates the work you do ^^

Fikod returned to the wagon, the corpse of a mountain goat slung over his shoulder. Behind him, Sakzul, his specially trained bloodhound, paced along behind. He waved to Logem as he passed her, who was sat on a boulder in the wooded patch near to the wagon. In the wall of the hills behind, was the maw of the tunnel that lead down into the depths, the birth of their new home.
   Approaching the bloodstained stones that served as Zaneg's temporary butchery, Fikod was welcomed by the smell of blood. He had grown used to it now - he had returned here many a time - but was afraid of growing used to it, as the smell of blood would scare his prey.
   Zaneg wasn't around, so the goat was laid onto the makeshift block that served as a stockpile. Shorast wandered over to join Fikod momentarily.
   'Did you see Logem on your way back?' She asked, voice a hushed whisper.
   'Yes, why?' Fikod whispered in reply.
   'She's... had a fall out,' Shorast explained. She pointed to the hunched figure of Domas, who was perched on a boulder, head cradled in his hands. 'She doesn't accept the fact Domas is leader around here.'
   'Ah. Logem was always a bit arrogant,' Fikod said, quietly.
   'It's not that, it's just... she looked so upset when she stormed off. I wanted to check if she's alright,'
   Fikod turned to point in the direction of the wooded clump he had seen on his way back. 'Last saw her in th-'
   'Fikod?' Zaneg called. 'Can I borrow you a moment?'
   Fikod sighed. Shorast nodded, and then headed in the direction Fikod had pointed in. Fikod strode back over to the makeshift butchery.
   'Two things.' Zaneg said, acknowledging him with a slight nod. 'One, why must you always let your mutt sniff around my stuff? I'm sure you wouldn't mind a dog slobbering all over your dinner, but I'll pass.'
   Sakzul stared up at Fikod, ears hanging low. He whined pitifully for a moment, before his toungue lolled out and he started panting again.
   Zaneg looked back up at Fikod. 'Secondly, lend me your crossbow.'
   'What?' Fikod laughed. Zaneg merely lowered his gaze slightly. Fikod sighed, drew the crossbow, and passed it to Zaneg.
   'And a bolt?' Zaneg said. He gestured with his hand for Fikod to pass him one.
   Fikod drew a length of cast steel from his quiver. 'Just be careful with it, you could have someone's eye out with that.'
   'Oh, hah hah.' Zaneg muttered sarcastically. He placed the bolt into the groove of the weapon, and turned to the donkey behind him.
   The docile creature was happily munching away on the grass beside the butchery, somewhat unmoved by the smell. 'You're not planning on-' Fikod started, but Zaneg already had the bismuth crossbow raised, pointed directly at the beast's chest. There was a quiet clunk, followed by a thump as the donkey keeled over and slammed into the ground.
   'Couldn't you have used a knife for that?' Fikod asked.
   'Too slow. Would affect the taste of the meat,' Zaneg stated. He pulled the bolt free of the carcass, and handed it back to Fikod.
   Fikod stood, staring at the dead donkey. Images slowly began to claw their way into the back of his mind.
   'I- I'll go have a lie down,' Fikod mumbled. Zaneg ignored him.
   Back inside the wagon, Fikod lay his head down onto the straw bale that acted as a matress for the exiles. His head was spinning, and his eyes filled with repeats of the same scene - the bolt striking the donkey's chest, over, and over.
   As sleep approached, the images shifted. The donkey became more and more dwarven, before finally, the bolt was loosed again, striking the familiar figure in the chest.
   Fikod stared, terrified, at his son, with a steel bolt protruding through his chest. The figure that loomed overhead slowly turned to face the huntsdwarf, fixing the stare of eight beady eyes on it's terrified prey.
   Frozen with fear, Fikod watched the spider creeping towards him, fangs gleaming in the moonlight.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »

This. Is. AWESOME
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »

Why thank you.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »

Nice piece of work!

Have to keep on following this one, combining your ability to write stories with the story possibilities provided by DF there is great potential of epic stories.  ;D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

Only problem there is that it's strictly Toady's idea... So awesome as that is, if any of this was to be published or whatever, he could claim royalties. When coupled with the tiny income that an author normally makes, that wouldn't leave much to live on.
Not that that wouldn't be cool. A Dwarf Fortress book in print, imagine that... *drools*

*wipes mouth* anyway, the next update...

Fikod awoke with a silent scream, his throat dry and his voice hoarse. His heart thumped rapidly in his ears; the silken robes underneath his armor were sodden through with sweat.
   Shorast was perched on a hay bale, opposite side of the wagon. She wore a sympathetic look - experience told Fikod she already guessed what was wrong.
   'That must have been some nightmare,' She murmured. Fikod stopped shaking long enough to make a quick nod. 'What happened?'
   'M-My s-son, he's...' Fikod stammered. The bitter night air stung his skin, the wind carrying it deep into the folds of his armor.
   'I know,' Shorast reassured him. The sympathy in her eyes deepened. 'I wish I could say I've been through the same.'
   Fikod merely nodded again.
   'Do you want some time off? I could smooth things out with Domas in the morning, and you could have some time to yourself.'
   'Thanks,' Fikod croaked. 'But I think I'll be fine.'
   Shorast smiled at him. She pulled herself to her feet, and wandered across the wagon to sit next to him. 'You're sure you'll be okay in the morning?'
   Fikod nodded again, the last images of his nightmare fading slowly into the darkness of the night outside.
   Shorast put an arm around him. 'It'll be okay in the end,' She told him. 'Because if it's not okay, it's not the end.'
   Fikod looked her in the eye and smiled weakly, head swimming in tired thoughts. She slowly rose to her feet, and then padded back across the wagon, silken robe trailing across the wooden floor.
   Fikod rolled over, and waited for the quiet embrace of peaceful sleep.

Dawn had just about arrived, but Fikod was faster. Now halfway down the brook, he scanned the undergrowth for any sign of a mark. In the dim ambience of the morning, the slumbering forest was once again veiled in a sea of golden tones.
   Fikod paused for a moment, taking a few sips of water from the brook. It was fresh and earthy, but nothing beat a good mug of fine dwarven wine. Unfortunately, such luxuries were at a minimum in the depths of the wilderness, and normally water had to d-
   Fikod paused. Something rustled in the bushes behind him. Instictively, he dropped into a hunter's crouch, keeping his body low, and checked the wind direction.
   He was downwind. Perfect.
   Slowly, Fikod pivoted on his soft soled boots, facing the direction of the noise. A large holly bush shifted slightly, before a deer, a stag, poked it's head through, thinking itself to be relatively safe. It paid no attention to the dirty, bearded human that watched from the shadows.
   The bismuth of the crossbow groaned quietly as the cord was drawn to and positioned, locking into place around a gear with a quiet click.
   The deer, oblivious, dipped it's head to drink.
   The cord sang under the intense stress of the bismuth limbs. A steel bolt was selected, and drawn into place across the weapon's central groove.
   A sparrow, startled by the quiet clatter of the steel bolts against each other, shot out of the tree, screeching an alarm call. The deer, alert, lifted it's head and locked it's gaze onto the newly discovered predator.
   Too late, Fikod thought. There was a quiet thud, followed by the whistling of air across fletches.
   Startled, the deer turned and fled.
   The bolt found it's mark.
   Tearing a wound across the deer's rear flank, the bolt embedded itself into the deer's rump; The deer twisted, off balance momentarily, but Fikod was ready.
   Another bolt was already primed and loaded - It sprung forth from the crossbow like a cannonball, a sharpened artillery instrument tuned specifically for the purpose of slaying these skittish beasts.
   The bolt struck it's mark square on - it sliced directly through the stag's throat, catapulted with such force that the projectile ripped through; it struck the tree behind with enough momentum to bury itself up to the fletches.
   The stag, suddenly rendered incapable of breathing, stumbled in shock. It fell forward onto it's neck, before rolling over and laying on it's side, dead.
   Fikod let out a quick sigh, relived at his victory. He broke into a slight jog, clutching at the knife in his belt - ready to finish off the beast should it try to stand again.
   The bolt in the stag's rump was easily removed, but the one of the fletches had been removed under the stress. The one embedded in the tree was stuck so fast that Fikod tried to remove it for a full ten minutes, before giving up. He could warn Logem about it later, she could remove it when the tree was needed cut.
   Dragging the large carcass onto his shoulder, Fikod set out for home.

* note, i realised after writing this section that deer aren't usually present in my biomes. So before any smart arses ('scuse my french) come along and make comments, if you want it to be canon, replace 'deer' with 'goat'. Somehow, i think it loses the impact a bit if it's just a goat though. *
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:55:21 pm by Libelnon »

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:55:15 am »

Upon his return to camp this day, Fikod was greeted by an empty campsite - the wagon stood in the centre, looking just as deserted as the land surrounding. Fikod tossed down the corpse of the marmot that weighed across his shoulders, and stepped into the centre of where a few hours ago, many a friendly dwarf had also been.
   Sakzul padded up behind him, obediently dragging the marmot by himself. The dog had learned much in the past few months - mainly that marmots don't taste great when they're still furry.
   The embers of the campfire smouldered. Nothing stirred - not the beasts of the undergrowth nearby, nor the expected sounds of the fledgling fortress. Confused, Fikod sat himself down on one of the logs that formed the benches of the campsite. Sakzul, sensing his master's grim emotion, laid down beside him, head hung.

'Fikod?'
   Fikod jumped, suddenly woken from his dazed daydreaming. He swivelled around on the logs to see Sakzul running towards the figure of Shorast, approaching from the hill.
   'Aren't you cold out here?' She asked him. 'The rest of us have moved inside. It's far warmer underground.'
   'Eshtan managed to finish then?' He asked, blinking sleep from his eyes. Faint rays of moonlight cut through the thin canopy of the surrounding trees, which danced in the night winds.
   'Not yet, but the main areas are hollowed out. Everyone else is asleep down there.'
   'Why not you?'
   'I was worried about you.' Shorast said. Fikod smiled weakly. 'You remember what happened last time you stayed out in the wilderness overnight?'
   Fikod could remember that quite clearly. You don't tend to forget waking up face to face with a cougar. Thankfully, Sakzul was at least good as an emergency alarm clock.
   Fikod sighed, and looked her in the eye. 'Nice to know someone cares,' he muttered.
   Shorast paused for a moment. 'Something bothering you?' She asked.
   'Only Domas, who seems to think I'm a miracle worker.'
   'He has high hopes for us all, that's all. He cares about us, so he pushes us to make sure we don't end up like most of the other exiles.'
   Doesn't mean he can get pushy about it, Fikod thought.
   'And don't think like that. One day, we'll all be alive to respect what he's done for us.'
   Fikod sighed again, and stood up. 'Did I ever tell you how arkward it is when you read my mind like that?' He murmured.
   'Yes, you did.' Shorast joked. 'But maybe I enjoy annoying you?'
   Fikod smiled, with a snort of laughter. 'Come on Sakzul, we're going inside.'
   The two dwarves strode into the maw of the tunnel that delved deep into the hillside, the dog padding along behind obediently.
   'Shorast?'
   'Yes Fikod?'
   'Who's idea was it to leave the wagon out there?'

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »

This is quite awesome. I look forward to seeing more, for whatever that's worth.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »

This is quite awesome. I look forward to seeing more, for whatever that's worth.

Shouldn't worry about it. I still have at least one more update planned for today...

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »

And here it is!

Oh, and, this game is on a relentless save, by the way. So Dwarven caravans come in winter, and you can expect some exotic sieges later into the storyline, provided Fikod can live that long...

*clears throat* Anyway, update...

Winter had decended - Atridthortith had survived this far, and Domas seemed to have plans to stretch it much further. Shorast had been right - he was pushy, but the old dwarf cared, and was a natrual leader.
   Fikod wandered between the skeletal limbs of trees and among the remains of the fallen autumn leaves, frosty ground crunching quietly under his boots. Sakzul followed in his shadow, sleek body held low to the ground in the equivalent of a hunter's crouch.
   The brook bubbled along merrily, it's ice cold water splashing across the stony ground, bringing with it the faint but fresh smell of the mountains. Fikod stopped for a moment, absorbing the unique atmosphere of the place. He very much doubted that anything would want to grace the bitter weather that the morning had brought - the sun did nothing to counter the freezing wind that sifted through his beard. The air was still - the dawn chorus had ended, leaving the bubbling of the brook and Sakzul's quiet growling as the only sounds that reached Fikod's ears.
   Wait... Fikod thought. Is Sakzul growling?
   Fikod looked down at the hound, watching the spark of fury in her eye.
Something was ahead, but not anything that could be defined as prey...
   Fikod crouched, falling in behind the dog. Quietly, the hunter primed his crossbow, quietly pulling back the draw lever. The cord locked into place with a quiet click.
   Sakzul crept forward, stepping so quietly across the frosty leaves that even ghosts would envy her.
   Fikod followed, pulling the last bolt from his quiver. It slotted into the crossbow like it had been forged specifically for it.
   Sakzul stopped, spotting her mark. Fikod squinted forward, seeing a very nervous looking dwarf wandering across the frozen wastes. Not an exile, but a newcomer.
   Not just any old newcomer, either.
   Fikod could easily make out the dyed robe that the dwarf was wearing. Not the average commoner's outfit, which perhaps meant the best piece of clothing would be a silken robe, sewn together quite shabbily and probably undyed. This dwarf was a noble, a diplomat, dressed up finely in her deep blue robes with a gold trim.
   The uniform of a Zon Gerig trader.
   Gritting his teeth, Fikod raised his crossbow, the morning sun glinting off the dull surfaces of its metal limbs. Sakzul flattened himself onto the ground, ready to pounce.
   The trader, oblivious, carried on walking. She was in awe of her surroundings, spending her time glancing around at the landscape, perhaps in search of the wildlife, perhaps in search of anything dangerous.
   By Armok, she was in for a suprise.
   The bolt left the crossbow with a thunk, and almost immediately, Sakzul leapt from the undergrowth, streaming across the frosty grass like a bullet.
   The bolt tore through the folds in the robe, tugging the intruder to her knees. She turned with a scream, just in time to see Sakzul flying towards her, paws outstreched, teeth bared.
   'My, not out home here in the wilderness, are we?' Fikod chuckled, standing up and slowly pacing towards the embarrased diplomat. 'What brings a trader like you so far away from the comforts of your office in Zon Gerig, hmm?'
   'Don't patronise me, filth! And get your mutt off me!' The trader protested. Sakzul, who was pinning her down, weight spread across both her shoulders, obviously didn't like her comment; she reacted by lowering her head closer to the diplomats face, growling furiously.
   'Oh, do be careful. That dog's taken down a cougar before,' Fikod boasted. 'We wouldn't want any... accidents, would we?'
   The defiance that had shone in the trader's eye faded, replaced by a shocked expression.
        'Help,' She uttered, to nobody in particular.
   'I've got a few questions for you,' Fikod continued. 'If you would care to co-operate.'
   The trader opened her mouth to say something, but Sakzul silenced her with a menacing growl. Instead, she nodded, glancing insecurely at the beast that was now mere inches from mauling her.
   'Good. Firstly, who the hell are you?'
   'Rimtar,' She answered, struggling to breathe under Sakzul's weight.
   'Rimtar Kolsat?'
   She glared at him. 'Yes, why?'
   'I have a bone to pick with you. Does the name 'Erithuvel' ring any bells?'
   Rimtar considered her answer carefully. 'Not really,' She replied, nervously.
   There was a flash as the crossbow was swung with such ferocity that the limb dug itself into the ground next to Rimtar's face, catching a few locks of her golden hair in the process. She screamed loudly.
   'Tell the truth!' Fikod yelled, fury dancing in his eyes like bright sparks off an anvil. 'I remember YOU Rimtar, You're one of those responsible for exiling me!'
   Rimtar shrunk back as far as she could, shifting some of Sakzul's weight off her right shoulder. Sakzul reacted quickly, pinning her again.
   'And...' Fikod quietened his voice momentairly. 'I saw you. You were at my son's execution. And you enjoyed it. How does it feel to be a murderer, huh?'
   Rimtar edged away as far as she could, until she was almost sat against the nearby tree trunk. Sakzul backed away a few paces, and sat, watching, brown eyes fixed on the trader's intently.
   'Well? How does it feel?' Fikod repeated.
   The trader burst into tears. 'I'm sorry! Just don't kill me, please!'
   'Kill you?' Fikod laughed maliciously. 'Why would I do that? Then I couldn't send a message back to your wretched guard captain, could I?'
   Rimtar looked up to him, wide eyes glistening with tears 'No, but...'
   'Secondly,' Fikod interrupted her. 'What the hell are you doing out here in the wilderness?'
   Rimtar sniffed, wiping a tear from her cheek. 'Looking...' She gasped, between sobs. 'Looking for your lot.'
   Fikod stood, struck dumb by her comment.
   'Looking for us? What in Dumed's name are you doing looking for a bunch of exiles?'
   'They... They wanted trade. They thought we could be... Friends?'
   Normally, Fikod would have been laughing at the irony in Rimtar's excuse, but instead he stood, staring blankly at a spot a few inches above the trader's head.
   'Friends? What kind of idiot dreamt that up?'
   Rimtar merely continued crying, top of her robe now a soggy mess of tears. Fikod shook the thoughts from his head, quickly reaching down to identify something that had fallen from the trader's robe.
   'Wait... is this soap?'

'Domas! Someone here to see you!'
   Fikod's yell echoed around the tunnel, bouncing off the rough hewn walls that surrounded the entry tunnel to the depths of the fledgling fortress. Sazkul and Rimtar were stood behind him, Sakzul looking rather proud of his first live catch, and Rimtar slowly drying her almost endless pool of tears. She was shaking.
   Domas emerged from the darkness. 'What the hell is this, Fikod? We're not cannibals, and what the hell is a Zon Gerig trader doing in my fortress?'
   Rimtar stepped forward. 'I was sent to speak to the leader of this rabble,' she stated defiantly. It could have been quite powerful, if her voice wasn't still quivering.
   Domas smiled. 'I take it they've finally decided they want us back?'
   'No actually, they want you here. I've been sent to give an apology, and to organise a trade deal. Atridthortith, welcome back to The Helm of Banks,' She said. She was obviously desperate to do this properly, and Fikod admired her courage after what he had just put her through. Her voice was still shaky, and she looked both rather unsteady and very scruffy, but she was doing it officially.
   Domas' jaw dropped. 'I think you and I need a little talk,' he muttered, after a long pause. He gestured with one hand, and he and the diplomat dissapeared into the mouth of the tunnel.
   Fikod turned to Sakzul, who was staring up at him expectantly. 'Oh, alright. You can have some of whatever I pick out to eat later,' Fikod muttered.
   Wagging her tail happily, Sakzul barked happily. She and her master were also swallowed by the mouth of the fort, ready to return to the warmth of the underground.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:28:58 pm by Libelnon »

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

A indeed fine story you are crafting here. Keep up the good work.  :)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:00 am »

Thanks Arni ^^

Next update:

'Blasted monkey! Give me back my knife!'
   Fikod heard the call from the entrance - Zaneg obviously wasn't happy about something. And monkey? Surely you didn't get monkeys in the middle of winter...
   At the entryway to the fort, he found an odd sight. Zaneg, who was supposedly busy butchering the remains of the hoary marmot Fikod had brought back only a few minutes ago, was instead chasing a small, pink faced primate around the campsite. A few more were busy sifting though his other equipment - one was playing about with the remains of the rotten goat in the stockpile.
   One of the caravan guards, of the caravan that had arrived slightly after Rimtar, had brandished his axe; he pushed past Fikod and made his way out into the clearing with a triumphant cry of 'Rhesus Pieces all round!'
   Or something like that.
   Acting quickly, Fikod swung his crossbow by the handle, forming some kind of makeshift hammer. With no bolts available, it would have to do. Pity the crossbow would have to suffer.
   'For Atridthortith!' He cried, and charged into the fray.
   Targets were numerous - Fikod chose his mark carefully. A macaque had made off with something cradled in its arms, and Fikod broke into a run, ready to chase it. The macaque was quick, but 4 years as a hunter had made Fikod a good deal quicker - he quickly rendered the primate unconcious with a swift blow to the head.
   Spinning around, he caught sight of the axedwarf from before, who had dismembered a macaque with a single blow of his axe. He was now chasing another, steel armor clanking as he desperately tried to keep up with the nimble thief. Fikod darted forward, faking a strike towards the pursued monkey - it jumped out of the way, landing straight ontop of the sharp axe blade behind it.
   'Oi! Fikod!' Zaneg called, pointing towards a macaque who was swinging a cleaver around, clueless of the dangers. 'Get him, before he runs away with that cleaver!'
   Fikod didn't even need to move - Sakzul sprang from the shadows, pouncing directly for the macaque's throat. It screeched, spinning around just too late to bring the cleaver up do defend itself, and died in a pool of it's own blood.
   The caravan guard behind him grunted as a particularly brave monkey jabbed at his stomach. Fikod turned, just in time to see a gory mess that had once been a head fly through the air, and splatter itself at Zaneg's feet.
   Singled out from the crowd, another macaque headed for the opening of the tunnel that was the entry to Atridthortith. Fikod bolted after it, leaving Sakzul and the axedwarf to deal with the others.
   Stood on the drawbridge over the pit, Fikod stood, face to face with the primitive invader. It screeched at him in a kind of battlecry, and pounced. In a purely defencive move, Fikod broght the crossbow sharply across to the left.
   There was a crack. Not of wood, but of bone. The stock of the crossbow strcuk the macaque in the face with such force that the jawbone shattered and was struck, like a tennis ball, spinning into the hill. The body of the macaque, now missing a face, spun sideways, and tottered for a moment; it proceeded to  fall five feet to the bottom of the channel, headfirst.
   With a quick deep breath, Fikod turned to the wasteland of the camp. The battle ended as quickly as it started - not a single living monkey was to be seen. Exhausted, Fikod wandered over to join Sazkul and the caravan guard.
   Zaneg, who's bloodstained apron paled in contrast to the surrounding carnage stood guiltily amidst the blood, vicera and shredded corpses. He looked around for a moment, before throwing his arms out and adressing the trio of 'heroes' directly:
   'I don't suppose any of you are going to help me clean this up?!'

Fikod had never had a stranger look than the one he just recieved - Domas, who had no idea of what had just happened, came out of the tunnel to come face to face with Fikod, who was cradling a handful of mutilated monkey guts.
   'What the-' Domas started. He looked slightly green.
   'Don't ask. Long story,' Fikod interrupted. He dumped the gory mess into the refuse pile, and proceeded to wipe the blood from his cracked leather armor.
   'R-i-ight.' Domas muttered. 'Do me a favor and tell everyone they'll be needed inside in about half an hour.'
   'Why?'
   'Because I said so.'
   Fikod sighed, and watched Domas dissapear into the mouth of the tunnel. He paused for a moment, and looked down into the hissing noise he had heard in the channel. Slowly, the moat filled to about half height with water. Something above clattered.
   Fikod looked up, to see the merchants with their pack animals setting out for the long journey home. Rimtar was with them, struggling with one of the stubborn mules that looked rather unhappy with the sheer number of goods they had forced the beast to carry. Fikod smiled at the scene - it wasn't often that two caravan guards could look severely misplaced, stood at the side of the scene looking embarrased.
   Fikod walked up to the trader. 'Rimtar?'
   'Yes?' She looked up at him with a sigh, but for once wasn't biting the exile's head off.
   'Say hi to that guard captain, won't you?'
   Rimtar smiled at him, an unusual flash of laughter dancing in her eyes. 'Don't worry. He'll know you're still alive.'
   Fikod smiled, and watched the caravan dissapear through the entrance, and out into the depths of the cold dusk.
   There was a short silence, quickly broken by Zaneg, who wandered through the darkness with a macaque corpse dangling from one arm.
   'Fikod! Are you helping or not?'

The seven exiles were gathered in the main hall of their fledgling fort, exchanging news of the day that had passed. Zaneg and Fikod were getting even more odd looks, both of them covered in blood and vicera. 'They should have seen that guard,' Zaneg had joked.
   Fikod was suprised by the gruff voice of Eshtan that rose behind him. 'What do you think this is about?' The giant miner boomed. 'Something to do with that foreigner who was wandering about with Domas?'
   'Most likely,' Fikod answered him. 'She was from the mountainhomes.'
   'She was a bit tatty for a noble, wasn't she?' Eshtan said, his gruff voice was quiet, but still drowned out the conversations the rest of the room were having. 'I mean, youher hair was all over the place. And that robe was torn or something. I swear I saw a crossbow bolt caught in it.'
   Fikod laughed nervously. 'Sure, maybe they were attacked by bandits or something?'
   Eshtan mumbled thoughtfully for a moment, before nodding. 'Quite possibly,' he murmured. 'If so, she would have warned Domas about them, right?'
   'I hope so,' Fikod said. He was hoping that nobody would find out about the way he had interrogated the trader. Shorast wouldn't appreciate him treating a woman like that. 'If not, we're going to have problems when they fin-'
   'Can I have some quiet, please?' Domas' voice raised above the crowd. The chatter of numerous conversations died away. 'As most of you will have realised, we had some visitors today. They were from Zon Gerig, and they've welcomed us back to The Helm of Banks.'
   There was a quiet cheer.
   'They've also asked us to stay here and organise a new outpost, ready to expand their empire,' Domas continued. 'Soon enough, more outposts like ours will spring up across the mountains.'
   There was a silence this time. The general atmosphere was actually quite happy.
   'Thankyou, and I will take the liberty to welcome you all back to The Helm of Banks,' Domas finished. There was another quiet cheer.
   Domas wove his way back into the crowd. Fikod turned, just in time to see Shorast and Sakzul wandering towards him.
   'You've done quiet well for yourself,' Shorast told him. 'I take it it was you who found that trader?'
   'Why's that?' Fikod answered nervously.
   'Nobody else here would put a crossbow bolt through a noble's robe, Fikod.'
   Fikod laughed nervously. 'She could have been an intruder though?'
   'Yes, but...' Shorast sighed. 'Just don't treat every newcomer like that. You'll be making a lot of enemies.'
   'What makes you say that?'
   'Migrants.' Shorast stated. She spun around and walked away, leaving Fikod and Sakzul standing alone in the middle of the crowd.
   Fikod looked down at his faithful hound, who was happily licking the blood off his greaves.
   'That could have gone better,' he sighed.
   Sakzul looked up, with a quick glance of pity. Dipping her head, the dog continued cleaning her master's armor.
   Like a faithful squire.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:40 am »

Cool story you're writing here, I like the style.
Pages: [1] 2