Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing with the Fear...of the Orthodontist  (Read 4184 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with the Fear...of the Orthodontist
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:48 am »

There are only about 2 things I fear very much so:

Spiders (This only has about 2..but they are killer spiders...Black Widows and Brown Recluses).
and Orthodontist Appointments

Oh yeah, and ovens. But I got over that one...mostly.

So. Every 5-6 weeks, I have to go to the Orthodontist for braces. About every time I go, they manage to do something painful to me. I shake in fear of anticipation the whole night before I have to go, and can't sleep. What's even worse, each week they've been threatening to put on new brackets (PAIN! :() as soon as my teeth move out of the way. So...does anyone have a good way of dealing with pain/fear?
I really don't want to go in 40 minutes... :'(
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the Fear...of the Orthodontist
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:59:55 am »

Keep reciting the litany against fear in your head.  Sounds a bit silly, but it can really help.  I'm serious.  We went over it in psych class and haveing a mental focus like that can really help you get through a fearful ordeal.

Also as an aside, you may consider getting a new orthodontist.  Talk to friends who have braces as well and gauge their experiences vs your own.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:02:36 am by Satarus »
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:20 am »

You have permanent braces? Then, you will get used to it over time, but man is it uncomfortable when they remove it. And if they manage to do somtehnig painful to you each time you visit them, you either have something wrong with your teeth, the treatment is advancing (moving teeth around isn't supposed to be comfortable), or you may have lower tolerance to pain, or maye it's a combination of some of the latter. Do a breakdown and you will see, when a problem is broken down to pieces they are easier to deal with.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:19 am »

Getting the brackets removed doesn't hurt, actually.  What hurts is scraping the glue off afterward.
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:09 am »

Not permanent. But it takes forever. :(

Also, probably a combination of the last two.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:30:55 am »

Ah, I had the removable (don't know how it's called in english) for like seven years and then they extracted two of my premolars and I had permanent for four years. Pain, but it's worth it.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:04 am »

I have like a year left to go if this is on schedule.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »

The braces will destroy you Quinnr.

Give in to the power of tooth-side!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:44 pm »

Braces were not a fun ordeal, but you have to deal with it. You may be able to ask for a mild painkiller to ease the pain, or take two asprin beforehand. Since this is the LA thread, I feel the need to have the disclaimer: Don't take more painkiller than you need, but I'm sure you're not like that.

Wear the rubber bands, all the time. I had to wear them for an extra year because of not wearing them.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »

Or bite with all the power you have when your orthodontist has fingers in your mouth. Just for kicks.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »

The braces will destroy you Quinnr.

Give in to the power of tooth-side!
Nevar! Actually...:(

Braces were not a fun ordeal, but you have to deal with it. You may be able to ask for a mild painkiller to ease the pain, or take two asprin beforehand. Since this is the LA thread, I feel the need to have the disclaimer: Don't take more painkiller than you need, but I'm sure you're not like that.

Wear the rubber bands, all the time. I had to wear them for an extra year because of not wearing them.

Yeah, I already take two ibuprofen (according to box directions, I could have more...) after I get home.

I don't have rubber bands yet. Also, they were talking about adding a steel chain, and they even told me they were going to take some brackets off, and put them back on, just for torture. They changed their minds, deciding that poking my gums till they bled was good enough for them.

Or bite with all the power you have when your orthodontist has fingers in your mouth. Just for kicks.

Very tempting.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:29:33 pm »

Supposedly unusual head shape causes need for braces.

1. Is this a true correlation?

2. Can you fix the shape of your head?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:30:33 pm »

I'd rather just destroy my head. No more teeth :D

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:46:55 pm »

That sucks. Though I loved the dentist I had when I was going through braces. He was a pretty easy-going dude from china. He had a plaque on the wall from some sort of award/recognition thing from when he still lived in china, and the picture looks like Shigeru Miyamoto. Which is pretty cool.

His assistant was a very soft-spoken man who I knew only as Edgar. He also had a VERY voluptuous secretary.

I've been done with braces for awhile now. However, i have a semi-permant retainer. My teeth moved so fast that I only had braces for about a year. However, because of it, I'm going to have this retainer for 10 or so years. Still, It's not intrusive or annoying, I think i'd prefer it to a traditional retainer.

I never went through much pain at his office. Though mostly because we were talking. which lead to lots of laughs when he tried to understand what I was saying while he was working on me.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:19 pm »

You must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    You will face your fear.
    You will permit it to pass over you and through you.
    And when it has gone past you will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only you will remain.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: [1] 2