Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy bonesetters  (Read 2717 times)

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delve:DF blog
Lazy bonesetters
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:19:40 am »

A dwarf that I'm particularly fond of got struck by a falling boulder in a mining accident, breaking her arm. She has been diagnosed, but now she has been bedridden for almost a year waiting for someone to set her broken bone.
  Do I have to have the splint actually in the hospital? I have bonesetting turned on for many of my dwarves, but none have any skill at it, so there she lays, arm healing at funny angles wondering why no one will help her.
Delve, tales from my fortress: http://lodestones.wordpress.com
Let me know what you think!

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy bonesetters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:27:06 am »

There being glitches with the healthcare system shouldn't be a surprise. One of my planters who discovered a goblin childsnatcher the hard way has had so many sutures for her head, but is still seems to require more.

Does your dwarf maybe need a plaster cast as well? Does the hospital have supplies of that?

Tinamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:22 am »

Try deconstructing the bed the dwarf is resting on. 

Sometimes a dwarf will be diagnosed, but the injury will heal on its own before a Doctor can fix it, but the diagnostic is never updated and the doctor forever attempts to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

If the dwarf just comes back to the Hospital and lays down again you may need to re-injure him in some way to trigger a new diagnostic.

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

Try deconstructing the bed the dwarf is resting on. 

Sometimes a dwarf will be diagnosed, but the injury will heal on its own before a Doctor can fix it, but the diagnostic is never updated and the doctor forever attempts to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

If the dwarf just comes back to the Hospital and lays down again you may need to re-injure him in some way to trigger a new diagnostic.

Ill try deconstructing the bed, but I am a bit leary of trying to re-injure her =( thanks for the advice. In the medical screen, it shows her requesting bonesetting and "immobilization"

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:58 am »

There being glitches with the healthcare system shouldn't be a surprise. One of my planters who discovered a goblin childsnatcher the hard way has had so many sutures for her head, but is still seems to require more.

Does your dwarf maybe need a plaster cast as well? Does the hospital have supplies of that?
No, the hospital has no supplies of that, I didnt know such a thing existed, how do I get a plaster cast?

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:55:45 am »

No, the hospital has no supplies of that, I didnt know such a thing existed, how do I get a plaster cast?

Plaster Powder, more accurately. One of those rocks, + bag, and do it at the Kiln.

You should check on the health section of the Z menu as to whether you actually need it or not first though.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »

Setting of bones seems to be completely broken right now. Whether it's because gypsum powder needed for casts never gets stored in the hospital, or because of some issue with the prioritization of tasks (a dwarf has been getting sutures for three years despite needing traction and dressing as well), or the traction benches are just never used is unclear.

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »

grr that is most unfortunate. So my poor little Erith is doomed to just  sitting in her bed for the rest of the history of the fort. Ill have to come up with some way to write this in. Maby I should just sacrifice all my injured dwarves to armok from now on.

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 04:55:10 pm »

ive had little problems with medical any more.just have some stockpiles near the hospital if they are not stocking them a food/booze drink if your doctor runs away to eat often and than takes a while to get back.My non skilled medical dwarf was able to do full heals of dwarves with out the bother of him running away and restarting the process when i did this.it may look like hes doing nothing but somtimes more than 1 dwarf gets assigned to 1 bed.i had 7 dwarves on 1 bed and i kept wondering what was taking him. ::)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »

Do I have to have the splint actually in the hospital? I have bonesetting turned on for many of my dwarves, but none have any skill at it, so there she lays, arm healing at funny angles wondering why no one will help her.

I don't know if the splint has to be in the hospital, but i think it would help.  just build a ton of coffers in the hospital and make sure you have haulers available, it will get stocked with splints eventually.  As for cast powder, it isn't always necessary, splints work fine.  I have one dwarf stuck in an infinite surgery loop, but i have no idea how to reinjure him.  removing the bed hasn't helped, since he's still pretty messed up.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 06:58:34 pm »

Thanks for the tips, Ill try all of them. Has anyone had trouble constructing a traction bench? I have the chains etc, necissary but for some reason my mechanic wont build it, it dissapears from the workshop queue without any alerts.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »

Try ordering the making of a traction bench from the jobs menu, see what happens then.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:23 am »

Still having troubles?

What I find to be very effective is designate a burrow, covering the hospital. Give it a narrow path to the well, and ensure there are buckets around.

Now, assign all your medical dwarves to it.

With nothing else to do, they will, in fact, handle their duties.

A splint is almost always enough for bone setting. Traction benches, which are broken as per the bug tracker, are only needed for composite breaks - which I'm yet to see in a living dwarf.

As a habit, I do this every time there's an engagement. Triage and all that, food and parties can wait.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:16 am »

Still having troubles?

What I find to be very effective is designate a burrow, covering the hospital. Give it a narrow path to the well, and ensure there are buckets around.

Now, assign all your medical dwarves to it.

With nothing else to do, they will, in fact, handle their duties.

A splint is almost always enough for bone setting. Traction benches, which are broken as per the bug tracker, are only needed for composite breaks - which I'm yet to see in a living dwarf.

As a habit, I do this every time there's an engagement. Triage and all that, food and parties can wait.
Thanks for the suggestions.
 I designated a large hospital zone with 7 beds, and tons of storage, my dwarves moved all the splints crutches etc into it, then I designated a burrow over it and set my surgeon to not leave it, there are food and drink stores in it.  I then deconstructed the bed the patient was lying on. She hobbled over to another bed, layed down, and there she has been for the last 4 months.  Ill take some pics.