Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Possible Solution for Unkillable Undead  (Read 6712 times)

Sapidus3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daily Innovention
Re: Possible Solution for Unkillable Undead
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 01:58:02 am »

One potential problem I want to bring up with adding 'hidden hp' as a failsafe: This could end up hiding problems.

Basically creatures might appear to be dying properly, but in actuality would be dying from their 'hp' getting 0. I think it is best to avoid this.

Personally I do not have a problem with a dynamic system generating the occasional near unkillable monster. The problem is when it comes to more 'common' things.

Part of the issue is we are discussing realistic or simulated methods for killing undead when we do not understand the method by which undead operate. I'm pretty sure Toady actually mentioned this.

For example, perhaps it will eventually be determined that the motivating force behind skeletons is some sort of magical ether than covers them like muscle tissue and bleeds like blood. Perhaps most things pass harmlessly through this invisible ether. In this case you would need to break the bones (essentially severing the connection between the bone and ether). Certain materials (silver?) might interact with the ether making it much more effective. Weapons of this material could basically 'bleed' a skeleton to death.

That being said, perhaps the conversation should not be so much how to kill the undead, but how should the undead operate.
http://dailyinnovention.blogspot.com/
A place for ideas with nowhere to go; ideas that would otherwise become stagnate.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Solution for Unkillable Undead
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:31 am »

Don't think i'm bothered about un-killable monsters as long as they are quite rare, its obvious as to which ones are un-killable and can at least be buried or walled up somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3]