Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build a ceiling  (Read 623 times)

Fengol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to build a ceiling
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:25:17 am »

While mining out an area for my magma forges my sole miner broke open a wall into an underground cavern and was almost immediatly attacked by Elk Birds.  My feeble militia rushed to defend him but having no weapons and no armour they were being easily taken down.  With blood quickly filling the corridors and stairwells as the Elk Birds proceeded to slaughter the dwarves in my fort the only sane mason managed to build a wall in one of the corridors trapping most of the dwarves with the Elk Birds but saving some raving mad doctors and children.  While the Elk Birds hunted down the trapped and running dwarves I explored the extent of the hole and found not only were some walls open but the roof was accessible as well.

With lots of medication my insane and severly wounded dwarves were brought back into service.  I had lost all my nobles but after a couple of years of painstaking labour in cleaning up and crafting I was able to attract more.  I trained my military as best I could to an eventual return to the magma forges to claim the bodies of the fallen and what is rightfully mine!

Eventually I broken down the wall in the corridor and stormed the half-built magma forge workshop; stationing my entire army to guard the entrance to the carvens.  Diligently miners and masons have worked feverishly to make good repairs and seal off the workshop from the dangers of the underground carven.  Maybe, to be explored later.

Now for my question. I've created a walled square with an up-stair, and on the upper level a downstair.  Then I built a floor between all the walls to create a ceiling. I then deconstructed the downstair but I can't build a floor from the up-stair below to complete the ceiling.  Is there a way to pave over the down stair from the inside so that monsters can't get in?

unperson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a ceiling
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:44:17 am »

Probably simplest way would be to build a ramp on the outside of the walls if there is room, that way your dwarfs can easily get up and finish the last tile, then remove the ramp. If not maybe build a hatch there and keep it locked. Only problem is that some monsters can destroy hatches so the first ramp idea would be best if you can do it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a ceiling
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:05:42 am »

Deconstruct the upstair. Build a wall in its place. You now have a ceiling.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.