Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Your Name, what does it mean?  (Read 7240 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Your Name, what does it mean?
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:37:39 pm »

Or whatever title fits better..
This is for not derailing that other thread.

I am not sure how accurate this website is: http://www.behindthename.com/
But let's start with my name as we did at the other thread.

ANDERS

Usage: Scandinavian
Scandinavian form of ANDREW. A famous bearer was the Swedish physicist Anders Angstrom.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:39:45 pm by Ultimuh »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Name, what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:40 pm »

Death Lord

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:26 pm »

JOSHUA
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAH-shə-wə (English), JAW-shwə (English)  [key]
From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. As an English name, Joshua has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.
The name Jesus comes from a Greek translation of the Aramaic short form יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshu'a), which was the real name of Jesus.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:07 pm »

JONATHAN
Usage: English, German, Scandinavian, Dutch, Biblical
Pronounced: JAHN-ə-thən (English), YO-nah-tahn (German)  [key]
From the Hebrew name יְהוֹנָתָן (Yehonatan) (contracted to יוֹנָתָן (Yonatan)) meaning "YAHWEH has given". In the Old Testament Jonathan was the eldest son of Saul and a friend of David. He was killed in battle with the Philistines. As an English name, Jonathan did not become common until after the Protestant Reformation. A famous bearer was the Anglo-Irish satirist Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), who wrote 'Gulliver's Travels' and other works.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »

DUKE
Usage: English
Pronounced: DOOK  [key]
From the noble title duke, which was originally derived from Latin dux "leader".

I fully anticipate people calling me DOOK more frequently.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:31 pm »

MAXIMILIAN

Usage: German, English, Scandinavian

Pronounced: mahk-see-MEE-lee-ahn (German), mak-si-MIL-ee-ən (English), mak-si-MIL-yən (English)  [key]
From the Roman name Maximilianus, which was derived from MAXIMUS. It was borne by a 3rd-century saint and martyr. In the 15th century the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III gave this name to his son and eventual heir. In this case it was a blend of the names of the Roman generals Fabius Maximus and Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus, who Frederick admired. It was subsequently borne by a second Holy Roman Emperor, two kings of Bavaria, and a short-lived Habsburg emperor of Mexico.

So it dosn't mean much on its own, but it derives from greatest, and I like that!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:44:40 pm »

wow I can't believe you actually made this thread

My name means "NOBLEMAN" it is derived from "Patricius", a title for upper class citizens in roman society.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

My name actually means Cheesemaker.

I have a super dwarfy name, actually.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:45:53 pm »

wow I can't believe you actually made this thread

Well I did it to prevent us derailing the fanart thread too much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »

NICHOLAS (My spelling is Nickelas.)
Usage: English, French
Pronounced: NIK-ə-ləs (English), nee-ko-LA (French)  [key]
From the Greek name Νικολαος (Nikolaos) which meant "victory of the people" from Greek νικη (nike) "victory" and λαος (laos) "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, as well as Greece and Russia. He formed the basis for the figure known as Santa Claus (created in the 19th century from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents.
Due to the renown of the saint, this name has been widely used in the Christian world. It has been common in England since the 12th century, though it became a bit less popular after the Protestant Reformation. The name has been borne by five popes and two czars of Russia.

JAMES
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAYMZ (English)  [key]
English form of the Late Latin name Iacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of the Hebrew name Ya'aqov (see JACOB). This was the name of two apostles in the New Testament. The first was Saint James the Greater, the apostle John's brother, who was beheaded under Herod Agrippa in the Book of Acts. The second was James the Lesser, son of Alphaeus. Another James (known as James the Just) is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus.
Since the 13th century this form of the name has been used in England, though it became more common in Scotland, where it was borne by several kings. In the 17th century the Scottish king James VI inherited the English throne, becoming the first ruler of all Britain, and the name grew much more popular. Famous bearers include the explorer Captain James Cook (1728-1779), the inventor of the steam engine James Watt (1736-1819), and the novelist and poet James Joyce (1882-1941). This name has also been borne by six American presidents. A notable fictional bearer is the British spy James Bond, created by author Ian Fleming.

TATE
Usage: English
Pronounced: TAYT  [key]
From an English surname which was derived from the Old English given name Tata, of unknown origin.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:49:42 pm »

Barbarossa [ˌbɑːbəˈrɒsə]
n
1. (Biographies) the nickname of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I See Frederick Barbarossa
2. (Biographies / (1465-1546) M, Turkish, CRIME AND POLICING: pirate, MILITARY: admiral) real name Khair ed-Din. c. 1465-1546, Turkish pirate and admiral: conquered Tunis for the Ottomans (1534)

It means 'Red Beard' if I'm not mistaken.

My human (as opposed to forum) name is much less dwarfy. Apparently it means that I'm a large man who carries messiahs while living near a road or path.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:45 am »

"Blissful."  It's pretty much derived from the Greek version of Valhalla, though the place is somewhat less dwarfy.  Erm.  "Warriors' heaven," I guess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:31:10 am »

Freeman of the great hill, son of Hugh.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:56:05 am »