Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Your Name, what does it mean?  (Read 7241 times)

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Name, what does it mean?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 04:30:20 am »

I'm the "author of the third Gospel and Acts in the New Testament"  8)

Also, my liberal forum name:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:52 am »

That is totally awesome.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 04:50:53 am »

MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical, Biblical Latin

Pronounced: MIE-kəl (English), MI-khah-el (German)  [key]
From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Saint Michael was one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.

The popularity of the saint led to the name being used by nine Byzantine emperors, including Michael VIII Palaeologus who restored the empire in the 13th century. It has been common in Western Europe since the Middle Ages, and in England since the 12th century. It has been borne (in various spellings) by rulers of Russia (spelled Михаил), Romania (Mihai), Poland (Michał), and Portugal (Miguel). Other more modern bearers of this name include the British chemist/physicist Michael Faraday (1791-1867) and basketball player Michael Jordan (1963-).
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:27 am »

First Name:gentle
Middle Name:son of
Family Name:Mars

Awesome

Omg, he's an alien.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 08:31:57 am »

Or a man, after all, we are from Mars, as opposed to those crazy Venusians.  :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 08:52:02 am »

I know the meaning of 'Caesar' inside out: Either 'hairy' (Pre-imperial Rome) or Emperor/General (Imperial Rome).
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 09:30:23 am »

Awesome

Omg, he's an alien.

Ah, but at least he comes in peace.

In the paralell universe where I have kids, I totally want to name them so that their name makes a phrase... mine does, somewhat:

First: Valley-dwelling
Middle: First
Last: Stonecutter/mason

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2010, 12:47:07 pm »

In the paralell universe where I have kids, I totally want to name them so that their name makes a phrase... mine does, somewhat:

Haha, that's cool.  I've got...

First: Blissful
Middle1: Rose of the Sea
Middle2: Who heals madness,
Last1: That son of Will (... meaning will/desire, of course)
Last2: She who is feared like the wolf.

Sometimes I hate my parents and sometimes I love them for giving me such a crazy name--it's especially awesome at graduation, when the reader can't pronounce 3/5 of it.  Middle1 also has the alternate readings of "remembrance" and "famed love," while Middle2 can also be translated as "who has worth beyond beauty."  My parents were thinking of another aspect, though, which amounts to "tenacious flower which brings beauty to dismal places."

And, for the story I promised.  Basically, my mother took a horrible backpacking trip to Europe when she was fresh out of college.  She nearly starved to death, got lost in Amsterdam's red light district, was ditched by the group she was traveling with, and so on.  When she was in France, she literally knew how to say no food names but "bread," "milk," and "cheese," and when she tried to buy tomatoes they gave her rotten fruit.  She was very sick and extremely shy after a lifetime of abuse, barely able to speak above a whisper.

So, it was this person who, weak and ill and tired, dragged herself down Le Boulevard Champs-Elysées in the shade.  At the end, there was a pond where all the schoolchildren ran around like a swarm of starlings, sailing model ships.  She watched them and, despite her heavy burdens, felt an odd sensation of blissful peace.

Thus Vector was named after a certain road in France with a certain boat pond, rather than Bernadette (after my father's uncle), Starbird (after a road in Oregon), or Anwalalys (after my mother's whimsy).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »

Awesome

Omg, he's an alien.

My last name is actually derived from the Roman "Mars" i.e. the God of War. Which at the time was synonymous with a certain red light in the sky...
Either way it's an awesome name.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]