Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Your Name, what does it mean?  (Read 7237 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Your Name, what does it mean?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 05:32:42 pm »

PTTG?? Gender:Masculine for all you know
Usage: Internetese
Pronounced: Not often, and never successfully

From the Pituitary Tumor Transforming Gene, with the suffix ?? indicating that he has forgotten his password and has had to create a new account. Twice.
Actually, it's not from Pituitary Tumor Transforming Gene (Pituitary Tumors, transform, and roll out). It's from my lesser, official name. Peter, The Great. I've used that, in one form or annother, for my entire computing life.
I've always wondered where your name came from.

My username was a random name I had been using in video games for about a year before I joined a forum with it (early 2005).

My real name is much less random. My family has a tradition of naming children by previous surnames. So all my names were at one point a last name. According to the website linked in the OP, the original use of my first name (or rather, what my name is derived from) meant that I would be from Italy. Or something. But the site contains information on neither of my middle names. =/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:06:34 pm by Zai »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:21 pm »

Apparently my name is a french word for small chicken or hawk. I dont put much faith in online sources though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 06:25:57 pm »

Empyrea?  I couldn't find anything about it being for warriors, but the "blissful" part seems to fit.

Oh, sorry.  My name isn't on that site--so Elysia is the right root, but it's not the actual name.  With that in mind, I suppose I should just give it to you: Elysée.  Story time later.

Haha, I was just looking through lists of the Greeks' celestial/afterlife places.  Yeah, I wouldn't have a prayer of pronouncing that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:24 pm »

Oh, sorry.  My name isn't on that site--so Elysia is the right root, but it's not the actual name.  With that in mind, I suppose I should just give it to you: Elysée.  Story time later.

I bet schools had a conniption fit with that one.  They probably didn't even know how to type it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 12:56:41 am »

Dale. Named for a granduncle of mine, who is also a total geek, so it's a fitting name to bear. This slightly offset the Rescue Rangers Themesong which I got non-stop as a kid... but only slightly. As a happy accident, though, my folks named me and my two siblings after terrain features: Dale (valley), Glen (narrow valley between hills), and Tara (rocky hill), respectively. I should add that my father's name is Clifford, or "Cliff" for short, which just makes it that much better.

Another fun tidbit, coming from research into my family history... I'm descended from a Swiss Mercenary Tribe known as the Ebersoldts or "Boar Soldiers". They were much sought after and feared by lords of the region, because they were terribly stubborn... supposedly too stubborn to die, even. This trait has remained with the family in years since. :P

As for my screen-name, it comes from a genus of desert arachnids called "Wind Scorpions" or "Camel Spiders", whose latin name means "One who flees from the sun". Given the hours I usually keep, I found it fitting.

Spoiler: Behind the Name Stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:59:46 am by Solifuge »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 01:05:58 am »

Spoiler: HYE (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SUNG (click to show/hide)

Either Korean names are compound, or my parents ironically fail at Korean.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2010, 01:11:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think my last name broked it. :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 02:22:05 am »

From Σιμων (Simon), the New Testament Greek form of the Hebrew name שִׁמְעוֹן (Shim'on) which meant "he has heard". This was the name of several biblical characters, including the man who carried the cross for Jesus. However, the most important person of this name in the New Testament was the apostle Simon, also known as Peter (a name given to him by Jesus). Because of him, this name has been common in the Christian world. In England it was popular during the Middle Ages, though it became rarer after the Protestant Reformation.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 03:06:16 am »

This site is odd, it has my first name but neither my surname nor my mother's and it's variants. This wouldn't be so strange if it was not for both my surnames being very old and not that uncommon, one a trade name and the other indicating where my family is from in the world.

BENJAMIN

From the Hebrew name בִּנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews. He was originally named בֶּן־אוֹנִי (Ben-'oniy) meaning "son of my sorrow" by his mother Rachel, who died shortly after childbirth, but it was later changed by his father.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:33 am »

It's a first-name site only, pretty much.  That's how it advertises itself, anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 03:21:17 am »

Indeed though, it did suggest similar alternative surnames.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:27 am »

First Name:
The name Robert is a Germanic given name, from hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". It is also in use as a surnam

Middle name:

Arlo (pronounced AR-loh) is a given name for males. There are several origins of the name. From Old English, it is a variation of Harlow /HA(r)-low/, derived from the Anglo-Saxon here 'army, troops; war-' and hlaw 'mound, cairn, hill,' thereby meaning 'army hill....
In Spanish, its meaning is 'barberry tree...
Arlo can also be a variant of Harley and the first formant in Arlene,  which derive from Old English har 'hare, rabbit' and 'ear(n)' 'eagle
The second formant, giving -lo(w), -l(e)y, etc. are topographic names, such as the hlaw mentioned above. For example, the ancestors of today's lee (and name Lee), loch, etc. As such, names like Harley, Arlo, etc. can also mean 'eagle's hill,' 'hare's clearing,' and so on.

Does this mean my name can basically mean Famous Army Hill?

Oh yeah my last name is Miller, yeah not hard to figure out what that's based on. I mill stuff.

EDIT!!

Hmmm an Army hill could kinda mean fortress, right?

OH GODS I'M A MILLERDWARF IN A FAMOUS DWARF FORTRESS....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:41:46 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2010, 03:33:05 am »

It's a first-name site only, pretty much.  That's how it advertises itself, anyway.
There is a surname database, but I've only gotten to it through google and never on-site link. It is also a lot less comprehensive.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:13 am »

My last name is found in neither database, it isn't even that complicated like Jones's.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 04:19:13 am »

It means i cut of parts of meat from a dead animal. :D
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6