Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Job priority  (Read 698 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Job priority
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:20 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned. But if we have a dwarf who sometimes does an important job (like say carpentry) it would be nice if we could set a priority where carpentry is the most important job and he does hauling jobs only if there is nothing carpentry related pending. Turning off hauling isn't much of a solution because I'm not constantly doing carpentry related things so then he ends up standing around a lot. Same with a few other jobs, but a few times I've caught my carpenter, mason or miner tied up hauling stuff instead of going to do their primary jobs.

We could also set stuff like levers to be emergency priority. Meaning that the closest dwarf drops whatever he's doing and pulls the lever.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
Re: Job priority
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »

This has been mentioned before, and there some third party mods that let you do some of this, however I think it is worth mentioning again and again.  The manager dwarf is almost worthless and I think job priorities would streamline my experience with the game a great deal.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:02:12 am »

This has been mentioned before, and there some third party mods that let you do some of this, however I think it is worth mentioning again and again.  The manager dwarf is almost worthless and I think job priorities would streamline my experience with the game a great deal.

I've found the manager dwarf to be absolutely essential in DF 2010...much easier to queue up a batch of 30 smelt-ore or make-charcoal/coke tasks (as well as cranking out clothing) that way.  I find it much easier to specify production orders that way, especially for equipment used by the military (not to mention the wonderfully Soviet feel of a centrally planned economy).  For crafts, though, I manage those myself to keep the workshops from being shut down because there's only one dwarf that can make leather crafts and the job order has been spread across multiple workshops.

That being said, I'd like to see prioritization for jobs...at a minimum, hauling at the bottom (except food).  In 2010, I've noticed a lot better prioritization of tasks (e.g. my broker going to the depot quickly without turning off his labors), but it still leaves much to be desired.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »

I would like preferred skills and secondary skills.

Like the broker who also is an engraver, have him prioritize trading at the depot over engraving.  So if he finishes one engrave task, he will go trade afterwards if requested, as that his his preferred skill.

Or doctors who are general haulers, who then will immediately attend a hospital request when it comes up.  Or dwarfs with the primary task of retrieving wounded or feeding/bring water to wounded over other skills.

I can't tell you how many times my hospital has filled with miasma because the dwarfs routinely had other things to do than be bothered to feed their starving wounded.
igless

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:00:09 am »

See also: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24022.30 for a thread on this topic that is currently ranked as the second most popular suggestion on the Eternal Suggestions poll ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php ), and is listed as 'Standing Production Orders'.