Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big mood problem  (Read 465 times)

eles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Big mood problem
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:01:05 pm »

Ok so I think I just got one of the most ludicrous mood requests ever, and I have no idea how I'm going to fulfill it.

So, I just starting playing DF again and I have a great fort started. The migrants are pouring in, food production is almost outpacing storage capability, and I am at a site with an immense amount of resources for metal forging. Awesome.

One problem.

I got a dorf who decides to get a Fey mood going. Alright, fine. What does he want?

Plant cloth...ok...that's easy.

And...

...body parts?

He wants, body parts. I have ascertained that he does NOT want things like butchered parts from livestock such as liver and lungs...he wants body parts severed from combat (At least this is what I assume because I have provided him such supplies literally right in front of his face).

What the heck am I going to do about that exactly? My fortress is not even large enough yet to require a military, so I would have to get it going JUST to fulfill this request. Furthermore, the only beasties available on my map are groundhogs and marmots, and chasing those around is not only difficult (I'm pretty sure ranged weapons do not sever body parts?), but even if someone eventually catches and kills one, the body parts are so far away from the fort, dwarves don't seem to be aware of them and haul them closer to where moody dorf will acknowledge their existence (I know this, because I have tried)

So what am I going to do? I would rather not lose a dwarf to insanity this early in my so far pristine game. One solution I've considered is trapping a wild critter and releasing it into an "arena" inside the fort for it to be killed (You apparently can only attack non-tame animals, so I can't even buy caged critters from a caravan for this purpose).

Are there any other options? Is there any way I can sever body parts from tame animals just scurrying around the fortress?

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Big mood problem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:14 pm »

Body parts can also mean shells from turtles. Get someone to fish.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »

I believe he may actually want bones. I had a dwarf with this issue ignore all the bones in my stockpile, but as soon as I killed a horse he ran off with the bones from the butchery and then continued gathering materials.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »

The category covers both bones and shells, so if you slaughtered an animal and he didn't take the bones then you can assume he wants shells.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:48:18 am »

Also included in body parts is hooves, ivory and such, but either he won't care WHAT (craftable) body part it is... or he specifically wants shells (or perhaps bones).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.