Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fortress Dwarves: Drink Milk  (Read 6029 times)

Shadowics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Dwarves: Drink Milk
« on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »

It's certainly no replacement for alcohol, dwarves might even prefer to drink water, rather than the taste of milk; but it's surely better than dying of dehydration.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Dwarves: Drink Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »

Drink...milk? You know that's the stuff they make cheese out of, right?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »

Drink...milk? You know that's the stuff they make cheese out of, right?

*Munches on a piece of cheese while engraving the walls with masterworks of cheese.*

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:22:53 am »

I'm suddenly reminded of a Goblins strip.

You know the one.

While this would be a good start, milk is already easy to use up, and having dwarves drink it would make it vanish even quicker.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

UmmonTL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:06:16 am »

Or make them drink Blood. >:D

But in all seriousness, with all the new fluids in the game I think a good idea would be to have all fluids as something a dwarf would drink before he dies of thirst. Milk would probably be something they drink before resorting to water since it has economic value. And if water is inaccessible (only saltwater, no well while under siege, etc.) that barrel of goatblood starts to look mighty fine. And in the end resisting that sip of giant cave spider venom becomes harder and harder.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:13 pm »

Drinkable milk is an excellent idea. There's no real benefit now aside from, perhaps, a cold map where water is scarce, but if food ever gets "nutrition", it'd make it a much more valuable commodity.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »

Slightly related question. Can any of those weird new extracts - giant bat blood, dragonfly ichor, etc - actually be used? Will dwarves make them into prepared meals, or anything?

Failing that, could anyone give me a custom reaction to make a blood pudding item (could actually be a grows-nowhere plant) out of a barrel of blood?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »

Poisonous stuff remains poisonous so if you get your dorfs to dip their weapons into FB-poison you get some really nasty military. I am not sure thought about the other fluids.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

catsplosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:25 pm »

Fermented milk drinks, which sound horrifying until you consider that that's what yogurt is, are probably pretty dwarfy.  At the very least they need to be able to add lactose to their brews to get milk beer.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »

Fermented milk drinks, which sound horrifying until you consider that that's what yogurt is, are probably pretty dwarfy.  At the very least they need to be able to add lactose to their brews to get milk beer.

Or they make just Kumis.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »

Or they make just Kumis.

I was just going to suggest this, or Blaand, which is apparently the Scottish version.  It seems like just the sort of nasty thing that a dwarf would love.  Dwarves farming just seems wrong.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:15 pm »

Dwarves farming just seems wrong.

Umm... why?  Should they import all their food from the elves, instead?  All that booze they drink needs to come from somewhere.

Unless you think dwarves ought to instead create steampunk versions of hydroponic farms that automatically grow and harvest crops by machine, or something...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »

I'd just like to see dwarves be able to get all of their food from butchery and all their (maybe disgusting) booze from fermented animal products.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »

I'd just like to see dwarves be able to get all of their food from butchery and all their (maybe disgusting) booze from fermented animal products.

You do know that animals are slated to start needing to eat things, right?  Like, you have to farm to feed animals, too.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »

Sure but herding would be a rather good thing in and under the mountains since the soils there tend to be rather poor. To poor indead for growing crops. Its not like we humans need to eat vegis at all so using a herbivore to convert the Plant-mass we cant digest economicly into meat and Milk (from which you can make Kumis and Blaand)  is a rather good idea. The animals would even net Skins and wool so you dont need to "grow" any fiber plants.

If Animals can feed on grass and get not fattened by high-yield crops that could be used far better, herding is a very good idea.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:40:54 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: [1] 2 3