Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: aquifer woes (40d)  (Read 610 times)

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
aquifer woes (40d)
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »

so, i have a problem: i want stone. to get stone, i have to dig. but i have an aquifer. plus, i want stone WITHOUT flooding the fort. problem is, i need mechanisms to get stone without drowning. but to make mechanisms, i need stone. help?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: aquifer woes (40d)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »

Have you checked the wiki? It recommends 2x aquifier cave collapse so you can dig through to the the stone beneath. Check the wiki at: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

It has other options for dealing with aquifiers as well with detailed instructions.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »

none of those methods are applicable. not enough layers, no sedimentary, no magma, not freezing, and no way to pump without killing my dwarves.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »

You don't neccessarily need the gears to change your powerflow direction. You can use a pump setup to pump jus air to redirect your power train.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:08:49 pm »

The only options I can think of:

Option 1) Abandon the site and start somewhere else
 Option 2) Build a trade depot and hang on until you can trade for what you need (use wood blocks --- needs 3, and your wagon is made of 3 wood).
 Option 3) If on a mixed biome, scout around. I've found in 31 that mixed biomes will often not have an aquafier under the "other" biomes, thus having rock available.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »

none of those methods are applicable. not enough layers, no sedimentary, no magma, not freezing, and no way to pump without killing my dwarves.
Are you sure of that?  Aquifers not only provide an easy source of water, but easy drains too.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.