Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle  (Read 17093 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Humble Indie Bundle
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2010, 11:31:45 pm »

Does anyone else find the bundle a little underwhelming? Aside from Braid, the bundle's games are kinda meh.

Well, they couldn't pick Aquaria, World of Goo, Penumbra, etc. because those were in the last one... if you didn't get that then you missed out =(

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:08 pm »

Having seen all three OSs set up at a stage (Linux on the mixer, windows connected to the lighting, and a mac running the projector), I can say this: The Linux just works, although at times some of the hardware it's connected to fails for unrelated reasons, or is inferior quality; The windows is good enough, although the software on it has that ugly .net look to it and is somewhat difficult to use, and the mac? It crashes, and has no easy way to deal with the crashes. It looks like developers who accept that their software CAN crash write better software...

Of all of the OSs, mac does not 'just work', at least when running software that is not 100% crashproof and perfect.
Yeah. Once upon a time, when knights traveled the lande in search of faire maidens, a group called Mac made a very stable OS, called Snow Leopard.

We still have that same mac OS today. ::)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2010, 12:25:37 am »

Demographics: Windows users have less money to spend, or rather, Linux users have more money to spend, perhaps.
Because they have to pay for Windows 7!

Of course, by that logic, Mac users should be paying the least because their systems are ridiculously expensive.

Statistically, more users run Windows, therefore this would be done more often by Windows users.

You just said that "therefore more people on Windows will buy multiple copies than on other systems," and went :V TOOT TOOT I LOGICED IT TO VICTORY and completely overlooked the fact that the average amount paid does not change as a result because the number of purchases per user remains the same as long as that number is the same on each system. (You did not speculate on whether windows, linux, or mac users would be more likely to buy copies for their friends, and you really can't without actual statistics.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:33:48 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:12 am »

But yeah. Sheer volume makes up.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:00 am »

You just said that "therefore more people on Windows will buy multiple copies than on other systems," and went :V TOOT TOOT I LOGICED IT TO VICTORY and completely overlooked the fact that the average amount paid does not change as a result because the number of purchases per user remains the same as long as that number is the same on each system. (You did not speculate on whether windows, linux, or mac users would be more likely to buy copies for their friends, and you really can't without actual statistics.)

yeah, the average its self may be lower, but overall sales would be greater, along with profit. This has been proven with steam. Games that sell on steam for 1/4 the price often times make 4x the profit they would if the game sold at a higher price. Lower average of how much people pay isnt as important as you might think. If people pay less, more people buy, and with more sales comes more profit.

Granted I really just read bits and pieces of this argument, but, oh well. :D
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2010, 05:30:55 am »

Worth noting that purchases contribute toward windows by default. Anyone who's just taking advantage and grabbing it for $.01 is unlikely to bother changing which platforms their purchase counts toward, thus dragging down the windows average.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:11 am »

Does anyone else find the bundle a little underwhelming? Aside from Braid, the bundle's games are kinda meh.

Well, it IS called HUMBLE :D

I have to admit, this is not usually my type of game but I am really enjoying Machinarium. Its way frustrating sometimes but if you just stick with it, you can progress and the art and story are just wonderful.
I got nothing

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2010, 07:07:53 am »

Worth noting that purchases contribute toward windows by default. Anyone who's just taking advantage and grabbing it for $.01 is unlikely to bother changing which platforms their purchase counts toward, thus dragging down the windows average.

Seems like the winner to me

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2010, 06:31:20 am »

http://www.humblebundle.com/

You can now get Humble Indie Bundle #1 if you pay more than average for HIB#2: in other words, you get now eleven games if you pay more than average, otherwise only normal 5.

Also, ones who paid for bundle #2 already get HIB#1 regardless of how much they paid!
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:34 am »

You can now get Humble Indie Bundle #1 if you pay more than average for HIB#2: in other words, you get now eleven games if you pay more than average, otherwise only normal 5.

Also, ones who paid for bundle #2 already get HIB#1 regardless of how much they paid!
Wha..? Woah! That's really nice of them.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2010, 07:18:32 am »

Wait WHAT! YAY. Looks like it was a excellent decision to buy the humble bundle, even better then before.
Don't think that should be true though. Personally i think that the people who paid a penny for the bundle shouldn't get the first bundle as well, but i guess they are selling it for a penny anyways, and you could have bought the first one for the same.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2010, 07:29:15 am »

I gotta say, Pack 1 (I didn't know about it last year) had a bunch of great looking games, as apposed to 2's two really great games. I'm particularly looking forwards to playing luguru or whatever it is.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:06 am »

The average is $7.32  :o? I'd pay $20-$30 for the first bundle alone! I wish I had a credit card.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:03 am »

The gem of the first bundle was Aquaria IMHO. A game I'd never heard of before that turned out to be really beautiful and interesting.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2010, 10:25:53 am »

I gotta say, Pack 1 (I didn't know about it last year)
...HIB#1 was back in May. Hardly last year.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21