Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)  (Read 1651 times)

Pathos

Man, these books are ridiculously amazing. God damn George taking months years to write the latest one, though.

To those who've never read it, it's basically a book series set in a low fantasy world with amazing characters, writing and PLOT. Lots and lots of plot. Here is the wikipedia article. It's one of my recommended reads (out of about three, the other two being Severian of the Guild and Prince of Nothing) and George RR is definitely pushing to be one of my favourite authors of all time.

If you haven't read these, I'd really suggest you do so, especially before delving into this thread. The book has so much hidden meanings under the wording (George doesn't believe in exposition of any real sort), even scenes that should be straight forward aren't.

Oh, and remember, never trust Petyr Baelish.

Discussion points:-
Spoiler: Jon Snow's Mother (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Petyr Baelish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragons (click to show/hide)

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
Re: George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:59:12 pm »

Man, these books are ridiculously amazing. God damn George taking months years to write the latest one, though.

To those who've never read it, it's basically a book series set in a low fantasy world with amazing characters, writing and PLOT. Lots and lots of plot. Here is the wikipedia article. It's one of my recommended reads (out of about three, the other two being Severian of the Guild and Prince of Nothing) and George RR is definitely pushing to be one of my favourite authors of all time.

If you haven't read these, I'd really suggest you do so, especially before delving into this thread. The book has so much hidden meanings under the wording (George doesn't believe in exposition of any real sort), even scenes that should be straight forward aren't.

Oh, and remember, never trust Petyr Baelish.

Discussion points:-
Spoiler: Jon Snow's Mother (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Petyr Baelish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragons (click to show/hide)

I think, with the dragons bit, that its eating of babies is a natural part of its growing cycle, which she will need to leave be if she ever wants to reclaim her place on the throne and get out of the miserable South (not that she won't at least try for a solution, but it won't work). Unless she puts its hunger to good use on bandits or something, which is a little crazy. Personally, I just don't think the baby eating thing is that big of a deal in the book, I think it was mostly for flavor (heh, flavor, I made a funny :D).

And, yeah, they are ridiculously amazing, so stop complaining about how long it takes him!!! I'm willing to wait patiently outside his goddamn house until he finishes it!

Oh, and still no one has mentioned the ice-people or Others or whatever they're called, I think their freakin' awesome and now I think I'm going crazy because something that interesting must not be in the book or someone else would have mentioned it (hint hint).

And sorry in advance for using your page as advertisement, Pathos but; I have a new twist on the "roll to dodge section" starting with a Wars of the Roses "roll to dodge" thread, combining the maps and diplomacy of Risk with the simplicity of "roll to dodge". Sorry again, advertising over.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:11:42 pm by Char13magne »
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

the other two being Severian of the Guild
I think that one is an acquired taste. It's a bit hard to get into it, but once you do it's a really clever saga.

Petyr Baelish
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
err, why would he be either? He just seems
to me
Snow's mother
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:24:14 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »

I think, with the dragons bit, that its eating of babies is a natural part of its growing cycle, which she will need to leave be if she ever wants to reclaim her place on the throne and get out of the miserable South (not that she won't at least try for a solution, but it won't work). Unless she puts its hunger to good use on bandits or something, which is a little crazy. Personally, I just don't think the baby eating thing is that big of a deal in the book, I think it was mostly for flavor (heh, flavor, I made a funny :D).

There's a sample chapter on his website revealing it as a new thing she must deal with.

And, yeah, they are ridiculously amazing, so stop complaining about how long it takes him!!! I'm willing to wait patiently outside his goddamn house until he finishes it!

That's the point! And the fact he did all the boring characters in the latest book!

I think that one is an acquired taste. It's a bit hard to get into it, but once you do it's a really clever saga.

I always thought the most difficult part was the first book. Getting through the Dickensian-esque writing, mainly, although it's filled so much foreshadowing you'd be an idiot to skip it.

Petyr Baelish
to me.

Spoiler: Why I Think So (click to show/hide)

Snow's mother

So it's not as secret as I thought. =( And yeah, considering what the chapters about his birth are, it definitely seems that way.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »

Hmm, you know, I dont recall the
, but as for the rest, you might have a point, and in a way it makes sense
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:08:29 pm »

Hmm, you know, I dont recall the
, but as for the rest, you might have a point, and in a way it makes sense

I can't remember where it is, I'd find it in the book if I had it with me. I THINK it's

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:59 am »

Petyr Baelish
to me
Snow's mother

My only problem with him being
is that, basically, any and all of the characters who could have told him so are dead.

My personal favorite theory doesn't concern his father, who is almost definitely Dante
, but his mother. What if Jon Snow technically still has Stark blood on his mother's side?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."