Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: megaconstruction inside a magma pipe?  (Read 716 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
megaconstruction inside a magma pipe?
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:54:33 am »

basically i want to make a tower or structure or prison inside the pipe, as well as put whatever else i can think of in there (glass jail, glass noble rooms, swimming pool encased in glass, etc).  Im sure this is possible since a magma pipe can be drained and eventually refills.  My question is on the method.  Can I drain the pipe into the magma sea?  im thinking if the magma sea acts as an infinite magma source, I should be able to put the pipe magma into it and then draw from it artificially to refill the pipe without actually affecting the level of the sea.  If this works, I could also build a pump stack to speed up refilling the pipe, as well as overfill it should i wish to extend the height.  The alternative option would be to dig out an artificial magma pipe, build my construction there, and then fill that from the magma sea.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hitori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: megaconstruction inside a magma pipe?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »

I did something quite similar before. I had a magma pipe extending to the surface and built a pump about 6 levels down that drained into the bottom level I had mined out. It worked quickly, refilled slowly, and I was able to build a water pipe right through its center. Of course, I did this on 40d so things are a bit different, but it is possible.