Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon Traps  (Read 1946 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Traps
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »

Cage traps still rock.
Cage traps also trigger ambush messages, which is vital even if you have no use for caged goblins, so put a few here and there they can't sneak past.  Without that the first warning you might get of invasion is your mechanic dying while reloading/cleaning inexplicably jammed traps.

The bad thing, at least with cage traps being the first line of defense is, that (at least at the moment)  if the squad leader of a goblin squad is caged, all the members of his squad will assemble around the location of his cage instead of proceeding further or even fleeing.

So if you donīt have the means to trap  all (or at least 80% ) of the ambushers at once (better with an oberhead, because often you will see ambushes combined with several waves of goblin thieves, which tend to activate all of your precious cagetraps ;) ) better be prepared to fight ;) (or have a  second entrance to your fortress at hand)

After my last fortress had exactly this problem I now will make  cagetraps only my >=3rd line of defense (behind a row of weapon traps and stonefall traps) (combined with an early warning system, also called animal in chains :D )

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:51:34 pm by Proteus »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Traps
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »

The bad thing, at least with cage traps being the first line of defense is, that (at least at the moment)  if the squad leader of a goblin squad is caged, all the members of his squad will assemble around the location of his cage instead of proceeding further or even fleeing.
No siege operator ever had it better.  ;)
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]