Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon Traps  (Read 1945 times)

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon Traps
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:08 am »

How good is silver for weapon traps like Large, serrated disc or giant swinging axe?
and will i lose the materials if it activates? i have never done serrated or giant traps but i would like to, thx :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:16:40 am by Tsuko »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Traps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:56 am »

Both in 40d and DF2010, silver is bad for serrated discs and swinging axes. In DF2010, silver is actually the best non-artifact material you can make warhammers out of thanks to their superior density... but it's not that great anyway. Steel or Bronze is the choice of metal for slicing weapons and weapon trap components. No the materials don't get used up when the trap activates, the trap may jam occasionally but under normal circumstnaces all those components are recyclable.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:11 am »

Cool just what i wanted to know thx  ;)

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:51:44 am »

Just wonder about something in the new version.03, is object melting still working?
Because i'm melting random iron armor of low quality (traded) and i don't think i'm getting any iron, just item goes *POOF* maybe because of low skill? or maybe bug?

I'm using a magma smelter btw.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:54:45 am »

Never heard about iron of objects going poof after being melted...
but object melting in DF 2010 is buggy nevertheless.
Multiple persons have reported DF crashing after designating objects for melting
(I  have experienced itmyself once).

So there  are good reasons, not to try object  melting at the moment

Tsuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:00:30 pm »

Ok thx.. my game starting crashing now as well i'll stop melting doesn't seem to work, maybe too late tho  :(

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:02:53 pm »

Undesignating the objects you designated for melting should help

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »

Actually, just cancelling the "Melt an item" task from the smelter prevents the crash.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:12:19 pm »

Hi!

This is information I have not verified myself (not much goblin fighting => not much melting):

Melting in DF basically means a loss of a certain percentage of the material originally needed to create an item. So, an item made of one bar of iron will NOT yield an entire bar of iron. Instead, the game keeps track of fractions of material stored in the smelter until there is enough of that fractional material to make up an entire bar, at which moment you will get that bar you can actually use.

Provided that that information is (still) correct, I am wondering whether anyone has ever succeeded in creating a metal bar via melting objects. Listening to the bug reports, I have the suspicion that the crash might be caused by the process of turning those fractions into a new bar of metal. It would explain why people can melt for a while before the crash occurs.

Deathworks

P.S.: Bronze giant axe blade weapon traps do a nice job of slicing and dicing. However, you may occasionally get goblins who can block attacks very well, so you should have a few layers of traps, if possible.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

P.S.: Bronze giant axe blade weapon traps do a nice job of slicing and dicing. However, you may occasionally get goblins who can block attacks very well, so you should have a few layers of traps, if possible.

Doesn't hurt to have a few cage traps at the end, to deal with the pesky buggers that somehow block or dodge all the weapons. Plus you can use them for your own amusement.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »

glass trap weapons are garbage, I don't know why i thought they might be decent.  I need to check if spiked glass balls are effective.  bronze axes and serrated discs are incredibly effective against ambushes.  Stonefall traps still work.  I had two trolls set off 3 of them, one troll had a badly wounded arm or leg, the other passed out from a bruised heart right in front of my axedwarf (perfect decapitation).  I assume the exceptional/masterwork iron and steel trap components im churning out now will work just fine.

I'm thinking about making my first line of weapon traps be steel spikes to put some early hurt on the mounts that siegers like to ride.  Also, since I've heard that you can do everything except actually kill with blunt damage, it might be a good idea to make traps mostly with blunt damage, so that the military can actually get the cleanup kills.

I'll have to check on making giant spiked silver balls.

also, word of warning.  I had a dwarf in full adam/steel get his left arm shattered by a lasher because he was wearing a breastplate instead of a mail shirt.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 03:44:13 pm »

Glass weapons used to be good, primarily because they cost nothing at all to make (provided you had sand, bags and magma), even though they dealt the least amount of damage (along with wood and silver). Now that materials have actual statistics that get compared against each other, glass isn't very strong at all.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 04:03:31 pm »

I've found putting 2 large iron serrated disc into each of my weapon traps to be more than enough to kill anything that doesn't fly and is killable.

Stonefall traps I've found to be pathetic against everything in 31.

Cage traps still rock.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »

Cage traps still rock.
Cage traps also trigger ambush messages, which is vital even if you have no use for caged goblins, so put a few here and there they can't sneak past.  Without that the first warning you might get of invasion is your mechanic dying while reloading/cleaning inexplicably jammed traps.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »

Actually, green glass weapon traps, the discs at least, are wonderful for two, fairly niche, purposes. The first is chopping the hooves/feet off wandering wildlife, which a 10x green disc trap will do in pretty much one go. Whether you do it to collect hooves for crafting or to make the critters easier (No feet means crawling, yo'.) for your kill-squads to drop is up to you. Along those lines, they're also pretty good at getting critters to dodge (especially, I think, with low-quality mechanisms), which if you've got a drop beside or mostly surrounding the trap can be a delightful pastime.

The other is for room quality. A single 10x (less, actually, but green glass is free, so why not?) disc trap will make a 2x1 office opulent. More will make pretty much any room of any size ridiculously valuable in a minimum of space. If the aesthetics bother you, you can just set the thing up in one of the room's corners and hide it. Quite useful for that purpose, though.

Now, iron, steel, and bronze? Yeah. Those're deadly. My steel traps regularly chop unicorns and such in half with one or two swings. Good stuff, if a bit messy.

And the trap components (discs and spiked balls, especially) themselves are ridiculously valuable, so they make rockin' trade goods. Nice stuff all around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2