Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make dwarfs learn new skills?  (Read 2128 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make dwarfs learn new skills?
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:07:33 am »

I just realized, i didn't give any of my dwarfs the architecture skill, so now I can't make my bridge. =/
Can I make them learn the architecture skill or atleast force 'em to make the bridge?=3

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make dwarfs learn new skills?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:43 am »

Yes, just enable the labor for whichever dwarf you want to do it.  They don't have to have any experience in any skill beforehand, though tasks are performed faster/better by the skilled.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:39 am »

In the case of architecture, skill doesn't affect speed at all - the only advantage of a skilled architect is improving the design quality of your bridges, furnaces, wells, roads, etc. (the actual construction quality gets determined by the mason/carpenter/metalsmith who finishes building it) so your dwarves get happy thoughts from looking at them and your fort's Architecture value is higher.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:28 am »

Ah, how wonderful! =D
But what is the command for activating a labour for a dwarf?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:37:33 am »

Hi!

If you are going via the 'u'nit list, you should be able to center on a dwarf (I forgot the key right now). Alternatively, you can 'v'iew the dwarf on the normal game window. Both are the same mode.

Press 'p'references and then 'l'abor and you should get the labor overview for that dwarf, with white labors activated, dark grey labors deactivated. Note that except for mining, which is listed by itself, all the other entries actually go to submenus with sub-entries. A main entry will be light grey if some but not all labors under it are activated and will only be white if all are activated.

Deathworks

DinoMilk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:44 am »

Might I suggest Dwarf Therapist?  It's a third party program that you can use to manage the skills and jobs of your dwarves, and allows you to look at what each one of your dwarves is currently doing at a quick glance.  It's really easy to use, and once you've tried it out, you wont be able to go back to the "old" way, I can assure you.

You can find more information on it, as well as the download link, here http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities#Dwarf_Therapist.