Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I have an Idea, Thoughts?  (Read 3483 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have an Idea, Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »

Raaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeggggg

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »

Visual Basic - predicting the future since it time-traveled back to 1883.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 05:33:27 pm »

yes we can. Just check a weather forecast.

But are they always correct? I thought not.

Not always right /= Not right.

Just because we cannot calculate the future with 100% accuracy does not mean we cannot predict the future. It just means there is a chance we could be wrong, or the details are a little fuzzy. Considering that for a great many things we can predict the future in order to survive hostile environments to the degree that we have, I would say our ability to predict the future does have some amount of legitimacy.

I never said humans were incapable of predicting into the future, just not good at it, oh, and weathermen use computers!!!
The weather-computers give accurate forecasts out farther than people do.
However, at a certain point they are mere estimations, just usually better than what a person could give you.

I disagree completely.  Making good predictions on narrow sets of data is exactly what computers are good at; humans are good at it too because it's not that hard.  What living brains excel at is using past information and experiences, an incomplete and non-codified data set, and no strict instructions, and making all the predictions it wants about any complex subject.  Of course accuracy falls with lack of information, and if you throw an oddball question at someone that they have no familiarity with, all they can say is they don't know.  But predicting the product of a "calculation" without even knowing what the "calculation" is or needing to ascribe any hard rules or variables to it is something humans do all the time, about every subject.  That's what intuition is.

Sure, our memory of past scenarios isn't always that great, but we are talking about a storage system based on active chemistry, if we even do know what memory is based on.  We're still surprisingly good about remembering things, precisely because we don't have to enumerate everything in our entire experience to use it in a prediction.  Present two people with a problem, whatever it is, and the one with more experience with similar problems will give a more accurate prediction, even if he can't precisely describe a single example he's basing that prediction on.  We remember stuff deep in the intuitive brain a lot better than we're able to consciously express.

human brains are frequently better than a python interpretter!
speaking in non-exact terms of course.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

You guys need to just chill out.

aaand....

Raaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeggggg

bing.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 06:52:57 pm »

I wasn't really raeging.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 06:53:43 pm »

I assumed.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 06:56:54 pm »

It's difficult to truly raeg, you know.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 07:09:21 pm »

yes we can. Just check a weather forecast.

But are they always correct? I thought not.

Not always right /= Not right.

Just because we cannot calculate the future with 100% accuracy does not mean we cannot predict the future. It just means there is a chance we could be wrong, or the details are a little fuzzy. Considering that for a great many things we can predict the future in order to survive hostile environments to the degree that we have, I would say our ability to predict the future does have some amount of legitimacy.

I never said humans were incapable of predicting into the future, just not good at it, oh, and weathermen use computers!!!
The weather-computers give accurate forecasts out farther than people do.
However, at a certain point they are mere estimations, just usually better than what a person could give you.

I disagree completely.  Making good predictions on narrow sets of data is exactly what computers are good at; humans are good at it too because it's not that hard.  What living brains excel at is using past information and experiences, an incomplete and non-codified data set, and no strict instructions, and making all the predictions it wants about any complex subject.  Of course accuracy falls with lack of information, and if you throw an oddball question at someone that they have no familiarity with, all they can say is they don't know.  But predicting the product of a "calculation" without even knowing what the "calculation" is or needing to ascribe any hard rules or variables to it is something humans do all the time, about every subject.  That's what intuition is.

Sure, our memory of past scenarios isn't always that great, but we are talking about a storage system based on active chemistry, if we even do know what memory is based on.  We're still surprisingly good about remembering things, precisely because we don't have to enumerate everything in our entire experience to use it in a prediction.  Present two people with a problem, whatever it is, and the one with more experience with similar problems will give a more accurate prediction, even if he can't precisely describe a single example he's basing that prediction on.  We remember stuff deep in the intuitive brain a lot better than we're able to consciously express.

human brains are frequently better than a python interpretter!
speaking in non-exact terms of course.
See Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

Our brains basicly just use a method of classification en-mass. Hence why it takes years of practice to make drawings which aren't just symbols representing that which we think we are drawing. Even then, you are focusing on the shapes, which themselves are symbols of what is seen.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:16:31 pm by alway »

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »

It's difficult to truly raeg, you know.

Some would call it impossible.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)
Pages: 1 2 [3]