Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: animals taking over  (Read 1129 times)

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animals taking over
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:52:03 am »

AHHH. it started with two war dogs, who liked sex it seems, and now i have about thirty puppies running around and i don't know what to do with them.
how do i get rid of them without just being cruel and slaughtering them for food

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
Re: animals taking over
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:55 am »

Do you have an animal trainer?If you do train them to be....DOGS OF WAR!!!
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:05 am »

how exactly do i train them? i have a good trainer thanks to migrants but i don't know what to do with him

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:35 am »

Build a kennel. Or whatever that workshop is called.. I don't remember..
But they have to grow up first if I'm not misstaken..

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:57 am »

You need a (built) cage. Shove all tame puppies and other young animals in there. Wait for them to grow up. Bring out the ones that have just grown up, keep the rest inside until they're adults too. Train them in Kennels to get war dogs. Alternatively, pit your animal young if you don't want to do a cage for some reason, but I don't see any advantage to that.

Failure to keep your animal youth under control means your FPS will erode away due to all the pathfinding demands.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DinoMilk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:48:25 am »

I keep all of my animals in cages, with the exception of a single male cat and war dogs.  While it may be unnecessary, I keep each "type" of animal (Elephants, Horses, Dogs, etc) in a separate cage, even going so far as to keep cats separated by sex.  Animals will still mate and give birth while housed in a cage, but their young will be released from the cage soon after birth, so it's important to keep an eye on your announcements.  Keeping your critters caged up is a great way to maintain some semblance of playable FPS and keep a steady supply of elephant leather coming.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:17:04 am »

Mmm? Back in 40d, caged animals could not get impregnated while in cages. They could give birth in cages, but only after they got impregnated outside. Has that changed in DF2010?

This is why my livestock that I want to be reproducing are not put in cages, but in an array of 1x1 holding pens with a restraint and pet-forbidden door in each.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:28 am »

In the new version, my dwarves keep adopting every puppy they see! They aren't even supposed to be adoptable, but now I've got seven named dog/puppies! Blearghlgh!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:32 am »

In the new version, my dwarves keep adopting every puppy they see! They aren't even supposed to be adoptable, but now I've got seven named dog/puppies! Blearghlgh!

Without modding, these dogs are not being claimed as pets.  Instead, animals that achieve the killing attack are simply named for their accomplishment.  To verify these are not pets, check them out more closely, one way is through the animal tab on the z screen.  If that screen says these named dogs are 'unavailable', they are just dogs with dwarf cred.  If all your dogs are listed as being 'uninterested' or owned, you've modded them to be [verminhunters] (ick) and must now pay the price of a plentitude of pets!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:05 am »

Mmm? Back in 40d, caged animals could not get impregnated while in cages. They could give birth in cages, but only after they got impregnated outside. Has that changed in DF2010?

I doubt it. DinoMilk probably just caged some pregnant animals and saw that they gave birth in the cages.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

I have had goats breed and the kids stay in the same cage.  And I've had dogs breed and the dwarfs let them out--perhaps it is a difference if the animal has the "pet' tag or not.

I also have had on the rare occasion, a puppy get adopted that I wasn't aware was available. 

I try to keep a cage next to the butcher shop that I put all non war animals in, and then a cage next to the kennel I assign all puppies to.  Any animals I buy from the elves get put in the animal pile and either lugged to the kennel or eventually put next to the butcher.
igless