Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mild computer addiction  (Read 2722 times)

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mild computer addiction
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:20 am »

I've been having the same problem on and off for years now. I'm starting to claw my way out of it, excruciatingly slowly and am prone to relapse at any time. Currently I'm meant to be writing an essay I really don't care about. If it were a psychology assignment I was meant to be doing right now, I'd be neck-deep in journal articles and smearing my half-thought out crap all over every word document I have as a rough copy for the assignment. Since it's a history essay however, I'm here, telling someone else how to get out of the exact situation I'm in...

In my experience, it's a matter of motivation and self-control. If I don't have motivation to do what I'm meant to be doing, it doesn't get done without a Herculean effort of self-control. Unfortunately, I have very little motivation to do anything, in comparison to most people. Thus, self control. Self-control is hard to learn, but damn useful once you start getting the hang of it. Best way is to just do as others have suggested and force yourself to keep to strict benchmarks, but do so while interrupting you old schedule. It's amazing how much difference a change of location or routine can make, since if you're in new territory, you'll be more receptive to new routines and won't be able to immediately think something along the lines of 'fuck this, what's on *websites here*?'

Without someone hovering over you watching for slipups, you'll probably not be able to make yourself keep to the benchmarks or new routine consistently, but as long as you keep thinking out new approaches, you'll probably be able to figure out specifics plans to make sure you stick to them. Best idea I've yet had is to make myself leave the house more often when I have to get things done (like going to the school's library to work instead of doing it at home) and to never, ever listen/watch things in the background, as they distract me to hell and back. When I'm trying to work on the internet I also avoid opening non-work related tabs and refuse to look at non-work stuff, putting it off untill I've met some arbitrary landmark. Even if those landmarks are stupidly close ("Okay, once I've written 200 words of this 5000 word essay, it's break time!"), they're there at least. Persevere and keep pushing them back, no matter how shit it feels to be refusing yourself comfort.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:50:28 am »

What should I do?

Unplug your computer and put it under a bunch of crap in your closet.  That's what I did, anyway.

Doesn't work. :-(
Also, I only sleep once every other/every third night.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »

Using the computer is awesome, and you cannot deny its power over you.
The problem is that you don't care enough about other stuff.

Try looking for something more awesome, with which to replace it.
Preferably something you can't do 9:00-1:00 at night.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:10 pm »

While on the computer, do 20 push-ups every 60 minutes...if you can't no more computer till you can

The ultimatum will either get you off the computer, or in shape relatively fast (Really fast if you reallllly want to keep on the internets)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »

While on the computer, do 20 push-ups every 60 minutes...if you can't no more computer till you can

The ultimatum will either get you off the computer, or in shape relatively fast (Really fast if you reallllly want to keep on the internets)

Wow, this is a great idea.  I'll probably try it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 01:26:49 pm »

Using the computer is awesome, and you cannot deny its power over you.
The problem is that you don't care enough about other stuff.

Try looking for something more awesome, with which to replace it.
Preferably something you can't do 9:00-1:00 at night.
To 1:00? Try from 9:00 for 48 hours straight.

Also, I am totally apathetic about everything but the computer now. Which is bad. People can yell at me for an hour and I don't even care. :-/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »

Also, I am totally apathetic about everything but the computer now. Which is bad. People can yell at me for an hour and I don't even care. :-/

... You might want to go to one of the internet addiction rehab centers, then, doodabuddy.  Your case seems rather bad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »

If you can't live without it then it is a problem.

Try just turning it off. Leave the computer completely off for a few days. If you cannot do this then you have a problem.

If you can do this then you're fine, as you have the control to quit any time you want.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

I can do that...but I strongly dislike it.
Also, I get very bored...but I still use the computer forevers. Maybe I need new books...all my current ones have been read 3-5 times.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:52 pm »

Maybe I need new books...all my current ones have been read 3-5 times.

... Okay, yeah.  You just need more stuff to do.  Go to a library, or something.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »

Holy shit, and I thought I was bad. Glad I'm not the only addict. I spend easily 6 hours or more on an average day. Rationally I know it's doing nothing good for my life, even the entertainment feels empty. It's just hard as hell to pass unscheduled hours without the computer. At least I'll have class more often this year. Good luck to you fellow addicts in fighting the computer demon, I shall get off right now - for a few minutes.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »

I can do that...but I strongly dislike it.
Also, I get very bored...but I still use the computer forevers. Maybe I need new books...all my current ones have been read 3-5 times.

Find a new hobby or just go to the library. You can get piles of books for free.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07:17 pm »

Hobbies are nice...I shall now get back into glass bead making. :D
Thank you Bay12! :D

(Programming is not a good hobby when you are trying to get away from the computer...)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »

I've got mild computer addiction as well. Along with anything else that could be regarded as 'useless'.

There's a simple solution to this, though: I narrate. If I really have got to do something, I just start talking to myself as if I'm a narrator to some epic tale. Eventually I'll play along and do it.

Example: I had to translate a part of some text for school, but I really didn't want to.

Eventually I decided to narrate about how the text contained the key to stopping a gigantic demon invasion, and that I was the only one capable of translating it.

It worked, and I did it. (Although I made quite a lot of mistakes. Spent two minutes after being corrected by my teacher about how I had failed anyways and that the world was quickly overrun.)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 04:41:54 pm »

^^ That idea wouldn't work for me becaues the computer has made me completely apathetic.

MY magical beads will save the world!...
Or not. The world can burn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3