Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mild computer addiction  (Read 2723 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Mild computer addiction
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:44:00 am »

I have been using a lot of time nowadays on silly things; mostly the Bay12 forums. Normally it wouldn't be a problem - in fact, I enjoy it very much - but it's one of the most important times in a few months, and I need time for other things. I need sleep, too, and I'm not getting it. It's not that important, really, in the grand scheme of things. But I'd rather be able to curb my addiction. For example, I was about to go to sleep today, and then I blew about an hour on reading about the Turing Test on Wikipedia and all its links. Ugh. I should have bookmarked it...

What should I do?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Mild computer addiction
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:24:52 am »

I don't know man, but I FEEL your pain.
Except mine only gets in the way of school and house work.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:25:44 am »

What should I do?

Unplug your computer and put it under a bunch of crap in your closet.  That's what I did, anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:08:57 am »

You really want to know what to do? Cancel your internet service and uninstall everything except A word processor.

Sadly I'm in the same boat. I really should be doing things but the internet is infinitely entertaining. Then again, when I was alone and without entertainment I became a case study in solipsism and would spend most of my days in self induced hallucinations. Lately life is just boring and I'm drifting back toward my habits of being lost in thought for extended periods of time so I guess maybe I'm getting out of PC addiction and back into just not giving a fuck. 

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:18:25 am »

I'm the complete opposite, I just have nothing to do so I use the computer and program.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:13 am »

Argh, argh, it seems it's not just computers. I spent another hour last night reading when I should have been sleeping. :(
But I'll try staying away from the computer for the next few days like you suggest - those are the important ones. Mostly tomorrow, really.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »

Set an absolute cut-off point during the evening. If you sleep at midnight, cut it off at 11
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

Hmmm, I'll try that too.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:58:55 pm »

Try to concentrate more on your social life if you can, and try to make your schedule as busy as possible. Maybe even GET SUM in the process.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:28 pm »

An absolute cut off point is best for anything.

Spending too much time in WoW? At 8:30pm (or whenever is good for you) you log off regardless of whats happening. Make sure they know that of course.

Same deal with other computer activities or TV watching. At a certain time you're done. Doesn't matter what you're doing, its time to be finished.

If you can stick with those absolute cut off points you're fine. If you keep blowing through them and ignoring them then you have a problem.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »

LEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

LOG OFF
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:32 pm »

All right then. I'm going to sleep soon in any case.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:45 pm »

I have been using a lot of time nowadays on silly things; mostly the Bay12 forums. Normally it wouldn't be a problem - in fact, I enjoy it very much - but it's one of the most important times in a few months, and I need time for other things. I need sleep, too, and I'm not getting it. It's not that important, really, in the grand scheme of things. But I'd rather be able to curb my addiction. For example, I was about to go to sleep today, and then I blew about an hour on reading about the Turing Test on Wikipedia and all its links. Ugh. I should have bookmarked it...

What should I do?

Have the same exact problem.

Best thing to do is watch TV, go outside, or do something else. Reading is fun.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:43:33 am »

Addiction comes from anything that's fun. If you unplug your computer, you'll just get addicted to something else, like books. Burn all your books and you'll get addicted to basketball. Or alcohol. Or TV. TV is boring.. people shouldn't even be addicted to it, but a decade ago, it was an issue.

So, best solution.. enjoy whatever it is you're supposed to do. If you're supposed to be doing homework, enjoy it. Seriously. Math is a problem to be solved.. history is just a tale of what people used to do. You can enjoy everything you're supposed to be doing, and once you do, you should lose all your urges to waste time.

Try to concentrate more on your social life if you can, and try to make your schedule as busy as possible.

This sounds nice in theory, but it's not. The worst procrastinators I know are the people who have too much to do. So much to do, so hard to do it, that they just sit down and weep. And look at the Internet while they're weeping. They eventually break down into neurotic wrecks :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:54 am »

Hmmm. That looks logical, but how would you propose I enjoy what I'm supposed to do?
Pages: [1] 2 3