Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions....  (Read 489 times)

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions....
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »

And possibly some bugs....

First, when doing a custom stockpile, Wood's sub-cat. is plant food. (and where do wood blocks get stored?)
Second, on salt water maps, when I make a fresh water reservoir, if it gets contaminated, even if I empty it and fill it again, it stays salty. Is this a bug, or do I have to reconstruct the floors and walls to completely remove anything that will spoil my water?
Finally, I've seen the kitchen has something about automation, does this mean: a) any dwarf will make a meal when hungry, b) cooks will when they are hungry, c) cooks when anyone is hungry?

I think I had a few more but that is all I can remember, awesome game, awesome video tutorials.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry if any of those are bugs that are known.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:44:49 pm by Rog »

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:13 am »

Finally, I've seen the kitchen has something about automation, does this mean: a) any dwarf will make a meal when hungry, b) cooks will when they are hungry, c) cooks when anyone is hungry?

The kitchen will automatically schedule "render fat" jobs after animals with fat layers are butchered.  Prior to this version you had to remember to do that.  Keep your tallow (rendered fat), it's needed to make soap.

Dwarves will eat many things cooked or not, but get happier thoughts from eating high quality meals.  The "prepare ___ meal" jobs have to be scheduled manually or via the manager screen.  It's a good idea to go into the z->kitchen menu and set it so that booze can't be cooked.  A current bug in cooking prevents any liquid-only meals from staying edible, they drop in a puddle as soon as someone tries to pick them up.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:10:11 am »

First, when doing a custom stockpile, Wood's sub-cat. is plant food. (and where do wood blocks get stored?)

almost every stock pile list has seperate material and metal sub catigory so to make a wood block storage simply make a custome or a bar/block storage then activate bar/block and deactivate all other materials.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:42 am »

Second, on salt water maps, when I make a fresh water reservoir, if it gets contaminated, even if I empty it and fill it again, it stays salty. Is this a bug, or do I have to reconstruct the floors and walls to completely remove anything that will spoil my water?

This is possibly due to the new contaminants system... there may some residual salt water on the walls and/or floors that is contaminating the new fresh water. Rebuilding is probably your best solution, and you way want to try and stop your dwarves from walking on any of the tiles that will make the resevoir while you're building it (incase they track contaminants over it). Are the dwarves drinking from the water directly, or using a well?

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:53 am »

Originally they drank straight from, but my new design is going to have a floor above it with well access. If only I could make a floor make that said wipe feet before getting water.

EDIT: Also, what do the numbers mean in the stocks menu? I assume first column in gray is the available amount  of that object, but what is the red (such as, does it mean stuff we have but cannot use, or stuff we know about but cannot get)?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:56:54 am by Rog »

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:20 am »

EDIT: Also, what do the numbers mean in the stocks menu? I assume first column in gray is the available amount  of that object, but what is the red (such as, does it mean stuff we have but cannot use, or stuff we know about but cannot get)?
[/quote]

Pretty much - red means objects that are already in use, e.g. built doors, or blocks used in constructions.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:53:53 am »

I believe wells still act as a desalination device. At least I think they are in my fort.