Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Name Stockpiles/Zones  (Read 517 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Name Stockpiles/Zones
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:05:45 pm »

Right now Stockpiles and Zones are created with numerically sequential (Stockpile 1, Stockpile 2... Zone 1, Zone 2) names. It would be nice to be able to assign different names to them similar to burrows.

Advantages:
Easily track the stockpile from which you're moving items (Central Food Stockpile)
Quick reference for stockpile contents (Prepared Food)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Name Stockpiles/Zones
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:03 pm »

Additionally, it would be nice if those names showed up in dwarves' job descriptions.  The game already has dynamically named jobs (e.g. "Kill groundhogs"), so it would be nice to see "Store Roast in Main Food Stockpile" or whatever.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:00:39 pm »

Let me refine those ideas and add unrelated, tired drivel that derails the whole thread into a more general one build upon them.

• Stockpiles should be created and placed like burrows.
  • The number of a stockpile should reflect its position in the grand list of stockpiles, not just the order in which they were created.
  • Custom stockpiles should not have names of any kind. Just blank.
  • Default stockpiles should get the appropriate name automatically, i.e. "Food Stockpile". Numbering used in any job information2 should be the one of the pile itself in the grand scheme of piles1.
  • There should not be any gaps in the numbering if I delete old stockpiles and make new ones.
  • I should be able to arrange the position of the entries in the list manually.
  • Duplicating an entry in the stockpile list would be useful. Obviously, the new entry would not have any squares assigned even if the original did. It'd be preferable if the copy took the spot right below the original in the list, pushing any other piles down a rank.

A lot of these would apply to burrows as well. Burrow 32 my butt, I only have 2!

1. If you make the game number the pile automatically based on the order of creation, i.e. the third food stockpile you ever made being automatically called "Food Stockpile 3", it'll just end up skipping when you delete your temporary stockpiles. If you can't make the stockpile numbers correct themselves automatically, don't even bother. It just creates micromanagement.
2. "Store Roast in Main Food Stockpile (#5)"

I think that just about covers it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:15:59 pm »

5.  There should not be any gaps in the numbering if I delete old stockpiles and make new ones.
Wow, someone else who feels this way. I thought I was the only one.

From extensive testing I can confirm that Stockpile #1 can be created as many times as you like provided no second stockpile exists. If you embark, create a single temporary stockpile, then erase it once you've dug out permanent lodgings and then create a new stockpile the second one will be called Stockpile #1.

For purely aesthetic purposes which have meaning only to me (since nobody else would likely ever be so compulsive) I numerically match my zones and stockpiles together. I've also recently added in matching burrows too.

No doubt stockpiles are stored in the save files in lists. Would it be a trivial fix to flag entries that are deleted from the list to re-use the number? I too would love to avoid gaps in stockpile/zone/burrow numbering if possible.

Or if we're given control over naming, I can do it manually and avoid the stress of worrying I'll create non-sequential numbers.