Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning off Migrants?  (Read 419 times)

McMillan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Turning off Migrants?
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »

I've had the idea of a generational fortress for a while and I don't want to come up with elaborate traps or other means to remove unwanted immigrants.

I've tried embarking on islands in the middle of no where, I've set the pop cap low and only increasing it when I want more dwarfs, but I just really want to play it with only the starting 7, plus their children. I've actually had problems with the pop cap itself in the int file not keeping the population at the desired level. Say I'd set it at 10, I'd still get more than 10 dwarfs.

But I digress, I was just wondering if there's a mod, or a command somewhere that I've overlooked to turn migrants off completely, I have done a search and I only got one or two proper hits for people asking what I asked, and not getting a response.

Thanks in advance.

thranguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning off Migrants?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »

If you generate a world in which all of the dwarf civilizations go extinct during world generation, you'll stop getting migrants after the first autumn (when the dwarf caravan fails to arrive.)  You still will have two small waves to deal with, and one fewer trading partner, but it may be worth it.  (Possibly you can minimize the early migrants by not building anything in the first year?)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »

In DF2010, the population cap seems to work a lot better.  I've set it to 20, and consistently get enough migrants to bring my population to 20 and no more.  I haven't tried setting it to zero, but the days where you'd have immigrant waves that left you dozens over your population cap seem to be over.

I can also state that in DF2010, being in a world where dwarves were wiped out in world generation doesn't stop you from getting immigrants.  They still show up, presumably from the same refugee populations that your starting 7 came from.  It does stop you from getting a liason, which may prevent you from getting the baron and other nobles later on.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »

setting your population cap usually gives you around your set number of dwarfs. The exceptions being unusually large immigration waves. If your set to pop cap 20, and you have 17 dwarfs you can end up still having 20 dwarfs arrive at once bringing you up to 37 dwarfs. If this happens, build a retracting bridge and link it to a lever. Pull the lever and put all your unwanted dwarfs into a military unit and station them under the bridge. Then pull the lever and VO-LA!

thranguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »

My experience has been that I only get immigrants in the first two seasons with extinct dwarves.  After the non-caravan happens, no more dwarves seem to come.

Anyhow, the OP wants the dwarves able to breed without limit, I assume, so population capping is not the answer.