Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burn wooden items for charcoal or ash  (Read 1008 times)

jpvlsmv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burn wooden items for charcoal or ash
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:10:07 pm »

I have a huge stack of scrap wooden junk from my dabbling woodcrafters and carpenters.  But those hippies aren't wanting me to cut the already-scarce forest down like I want to.  (They want to save the forest, we are trying to pave it)

Wouldn't this ashen scepter make good kindling, though.  I wish I could just torch the whole lot of 'em.  The items, not the hippies.  Erm, well...

So here's the proposal...

Allow wooden items to be marked for "burn" (similar to how metal items can be melted), and have them produce charcoal (or ash, as appropriate) in the same fractions of bars as when you melt a metal object.

--Joe

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burn wooden items for charcoal or ash
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »

I like this, it's balanced and realistic.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:55:48 am »

*Bump*

Was bout to post the same idea.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »

How about an additional stockpile type that takes items slated to be melted or burned in this way? Items slated for destruction show up in the stockpile near your forge or incinerator, saving the dwarf performing this task a lot of walking.

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »

YES! To both the OP and Wyrm's stockpile option. Both of these would be excellent additions to the game. Let me expand by suggesting that we be able to burn pretty much ANY flammable item. Might not get much (or any) ash for some items, but it would be a great way to get rid of all those goblin clothes after I execute a batch of them.