Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you speak? (You can pick more than one)

French
- 19 (10.5%)
Spanish
- 14 (7.7%)
German
- 18 (9.9%)
Russian
- 8 (4.4%)
Mandarin
- 9 (5%)
Italian
- 5 (2.8%)
Greek
- 3 (1.7%)
Czech
- 4 (2.2%)
Hindi
- 3 (1.7%)
Arabic
- 5 (2.8%)
Farsi
- 3 (1.7%)
Portugese
- 3 (1.7%)
Japanese
- 10 (5.5%)
Vietnamese
- 3 (1.7%)
Korean
- 4 (2.2%)
Turkish
- 3 (1.7%)
Hebrew
- 4 (2.2%)
Polish
- 7 (3.9%)
Dutch
- 6 (3.3%)
Pashto
- 3 (1.7%)
Creole (Haitian)
- 3 (1.7%)
Swedish
- 9 (5%)
Bulgarian
- 3 (1.7%)
Mongolian
- 4 (2.2%)
Swahili
- 3 (1.7%)
Other
- 25 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Any Foreign (To an American) Language Speakers On The Forum?  (Read 4908 times)

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile

So, just wanted to know. I personally speak a little French. Much appreciated! (Oh, and sorry for the large number of choices, I didn't want to make anybody feel left out :).)
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Foreign (To an American) Language Speakers On The Forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:22:36 pm »

Hello, there.  French, Japanese, a smattering of terrible Arabic.  I'm planning on studying Russian and German since I need them for my future career, and Polish for the hell of it.

Okay and I also want to learn Hindi and Chinese :I  But don't tell anyone.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:40 pm »

I speak mostly french and english...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:35 pm »

Bragging time.

I'm 14 and speak German and English (with a few errors here and there) fluently, French much above average (though not perfectly), and am currently learning Swedish. After that, bokmċl (Norwegian). After that, Danish. After that, Nynorsk if I find any resource. (This will serve as gateway to the western Scandinavian languages) After that, Icelandic. After that, Faroese.

You see, I am planning on becoming a North Germanic language polyglot, because they are the most awesome languages of mankind, in sound and history.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »

Depends on your definition of "speak". I'm moderately fluent in German and Mandarin, and used to be pretty good in Russian, Japanese and Spanish, but have gotten seriously rusty after 15+ years of disuse.

And I know a small smattering of Czech, mainly how to say good day (dobry den) and how to order a beer (adno pivo, prosim). And really, that's all you need to know when you're in Prague. Everything else is window dressing.  :P

I'd like to learn Arabic at some point, but I'm getting to the point where my brain is fairly ossified and learning new languages is increasingly painful. Especially ones with entirely new writing systems. I self-learned the Cyrillic alphabet when I was a kid, but I still struggle mightily with Hanzi even after two years of formal instruction.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »

I'd like to learn Arabic at some point, but I'm getting to the point where my brain is fairly ossified and learning new languages is increasingly painful. Especially ones with entirely new writing systems. I self-learned the Cyrillic alphabet when I was a kid, but I still struggle mightily with Hanzi even after two years of formal instruction.

The writing system isn't too bad, actually... what you need to watch out for is the grammar/case system, which wants to kill you and take your lunch money.  Pronunciation is difficult, but manageable with a lot of time spent walking around making funny noises.

All-in-all, not too bad--especially if you managed to tackle Russian, which I hear has roughly the same difficulty.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »

Depends on your definition of "speak". I'm moderately fluent in German and Mandarin, and used to be pretty good in Russian, Japanese and Spanish, but have gotten seriously rusty after 15+ years of disuse.

And I know a small smattering of Czech, mainly how to say good day (dobry den) and how to order a beer (adno pivo, prosim). And really, that's all you need to know when you're in Prague. Everything else is window dressing.  :P

I've been to Prague, all I know is "thank you" (probably spelled incorrectly) Dyaquei, or Děkuji, or something.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:10:19 pm by Char13magne »
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

Charlemagne

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »

German, bad Latin and around 20 words of Japanese, but I think that last doesn't count.

And a bit of elvish (Sindarin). That needs to be on the list, seriously  ;D

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:11:30 pm »

German, bad Latin and around 20 words of Japanese, but I think that last doesn't count.

And a bit of elvish (Sindarin). That needs to be on the list, seriously  ;D

Eh, its closest one of the Yugoslavian dialects (or maybe Czech/Polish, those two languages are abolutely magnificient ;D).
               Voltaire

Charlemagne

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »

I speak Scots Gaelic, that isn't on the list.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »

does 1337 5p34k count as a language?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »

The writing system isn't too bad, actually... what you need to watch out for is the grammar/case system, which wants to kill you and take your lunch money.  Pronunciation is difficult, but manageable with a lot of time spent walking around making funny noises.

All-in-all, not too bad--especially if you managed to tackle Russian, which I hear has roughly the same difficulty.

LOL. Yeah, Russian has a lot of endings depending on declension, case, gender, etc. I understand it's almost as complicated as Latin (I think Latin has 6 cases, Russian has 5 IIRC?). Pronunciation shouldn't be a problem after managing Russian consonants and Chinese vowels. And tones. Oh God, tones:'(

The sad part about tones is that they're essentially useless and most Chinese more or less ignore them anyways, but they're absolutely critical if you're only saying one or two words. Long sentences they can figure out by context. But a single word can mean dozens of different things, even in context and the only clue to help a listener is its tone. Thus, if you botch the tones and use short sentences, much hilarity ensues.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »

does 1337 5p34k count as a language?

Only if you're fluent :P.
               Voltaire

Charlemagne

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:28 pm »

Finnish as a first language. :)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 03:44:02 pm »

Finland. Icy seas of forests, Korpiklaani and awesome.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7