Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is there a way to 'clean up' a old fortress?  (Read 873 times)

Brzhk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is there a way to 'clean up' a old fortress?
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »

Hello,

There's a fortress i'd like to reclaim, but there is quite a lot of items on the map - which slow down my computer a lot.
How can i 'clean' that uup? is there a mod or some hack that could do it?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: is there a way to 'clean up' a old fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:47 pm »

You can do a mass unforbid and then sell it all to the next caravan that comes along.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:57:48 pm »

visit it with an adventure and gather them all up, then have him jump in the magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »

You can collect up all the junk you wont use, dump it under an "atom smasher", and then permanently delete them from the game. Look up atom smasher on the dwarf fortress wiki (links to it are available from the Dwarf Fortress web "links" section).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:25:48 pm »

Has it ever been definitively shown that destroying items improves FPS?  I atomsmashed at least 10000 stones in my current fort and my FPS didn't change a bit.  It's possible that invader gear could have made up for it, but I tend to trade or melt most of that as well.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:27:14 pm »

Dump them into a pit with a drawbridge at the bottom linked to a lever, dump all of the useless junk into it, and keep pulling that lever to smash it into oblivion.

Its always handy to have several atom smashing pits around your fortress. You can link them all to the same lever/repeater so they're all going at the same time, and dwarves will dump junk into the nearest one.

I use a dedicated atom smasher dwarf, with the custom profession Atom Smasher. He's the only one who can pull the lever and he has no other tasks except for pulling the lever.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »

Has it ever been definitively shown that destroying items improves FPS?  I atomsmashed at least 10000 stones in my current fort and my FPS didn't change a bit.  It's possible that invader gear could have made up for it, but I tend to trade or melt most of that as well.

I suspect clothes cause worse lag, since they think about decaying now and then and dwarves might try to claim or wear them.  I have no evidence though.  As for just rocks causing lag, I'm not sure its ever been proven but people say they notice the difference when they are continually atom smashing rocks vs when they let 100k+ pile up. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:10 pm »

That'd be a great job.  Woo its time for beer, this level pulling is sooo hard
igless

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »

Has it ever been definitively shown that destroying items improves FPS?

I don't know about statistics, but the theory makes sense: every time your mason, stonecrafter, mechanic, catapult operator, etc. needs to use a stone it has to check *all* of the stones in the map to see which is closest. I guess if you don't really use stone it may have less of an impact...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 05:46:54 pm »

dwarves might try to claim or wear them.
UristMcCollector: Ooh, look! A goblin sock! This is perfect for my collection!
UristMcSockLover: NO, IT'S MINE!
*Brawl begins*
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

I don't know about statistics, but the theory makes sense: every time your mason, stonecrafter, mechanic, catapult operator, etc. needs to use a stone it has to check *all* of the stones in the map to see which is closest. I guess if you don't really use stone it may have less of an impact...

You can really see this if you use custom reactions.

I have a custom reaction where I can shovel worthless stone into a smelter and out pops a metal bar. Great for using up the worthless stone while also keeping my metal workers busy.

If there is a large amount of stone on the map I experience a brief pause every time I select the smelter, as it needs to see what materials are available to it and count them all up to see what sort of jobs it needs to list. After about 7-8k stone the pause becomes very noticeable.

Once I eat up some of that stone the pause goes away.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »

True, but I've heard that melting stone doesn't totally remove it from the memory.  Seems possible that this could also apply to other areas, especially when you're not actually making anything out of stone.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:01:42 pm »

It's damn shame that all we know about the interactions between stones, pathfinding, and FPS are unproven myths without corroboration.

Haven't any studies been done that show a clear relationship between any of these factors?

If so, they should be put on the wiki.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod