Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting barrels for brewing  (Read 944 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting barrels for brewing
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

Are you growing too many plants?

If so you can fix this easily. Create stockpiles that ONLY accept that type of plant. Forbid this type of plant from all other stockpiles. Make a tiny, single plant only stockpile, such as a 5x5. That means it will use up 25 barrels at the very most. All other excess plants will just rot in the field and will not use up your barrels, but because you're growing so much of it you will not run out of food either.

Then create a much larger, general stockpile for all food items except for the plants you are currently growing. This is where your meat, gathered plants, and imported food goes.

Be sure to cook everything into roasts, it will help compress the space your food stockpiles use up. Also you want to produce booze at a slightly slower pace than you drink it while at the same time providing a well. Dwarves will mostly drink booze, and occasionally drink a bit of water. The idea is that as a barrel is brewed, dwarves will then instantly drink it dry. The barrel is then refilled with new booze and drunk dry within minutes. This means you only really need about 30-40 barrels for booze at most. Generally a single still on repeat brew will be enough for up to about 100 dwarves. For 100+ dwarves you will probably need two stills. You can adjust the position of the stills to increase walking time to slow down production slightly.

This also makes your dwarves more active, as they can drink from a well instantly, but it takes them quite a long time to drink booze from a barrel. It keeps just enough booze around the fortress so they're all liquored up and working quickly, but they can't spend too much time hanging out in your booze stockpiles, so more time working and hauling things.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »

Are you growing too many plants?That means it will use up 25 barrels at the very most. All other excess plants will just rot in the field and will not use up your barrels, but because you're growing so much of it you will not run out of food either.

This is a fantastic idea!  Is miasma from rotting plants minimal/non-existent?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 07:35:38 pm »

Rotting plants don't generate miasma.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 07:49:12 pm »

Also try to keep all the process, process(bag) and milled plants used up, as they just take up unnecessary room waiting to be processed.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

I usually do my cooking in batches. I'll make a bunch of farmer workshops, mills, and kitchens, like 6-8 of each, and then queue up 120 process plants to bag, 120 process to barrel, 120 mill, and then queue up a whole bunch of make lavish meals x30. They'll churn out several thousand roasts which will last a few years. When my roasts get low I'll queue up another big batch.

Luckily they have an unlimited shelf life.   :D
Pages: 1 [2]