Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting barrels for brewing  (Read 942 times)

FZE

• Bay Watcher
  • Who are you and what are you doing outside?
    • View Profile
Getting barrels for brewing
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:05:57 pm »

I'm always at a shortage for booze in my fortresses because my dwarves are constantly filling every last barrel with food of some kind. I have a stock of nearly 100 barrels and not one to spare for brewing.

If I restrict my food stockpile to a certain number of barrels, then my dwarves will just dump seeds and plants all over the floor (and by all over, I mean one seed occupies an entire square metre of space), so they go crazy trying to find a place to put the food and end up losing it. So, one way or another, they are determined to fill my food stockpile to its very limits.

How can I keep some barrels aside for brewing and booze storage without compromising my food storage? They produce more than they can possibly eat, and hoard every bit of it, then get mad when there's nowhere to put liquor.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
Re: Getting barrels for brewing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »

Build a kitchen and make meals. They lower the amount of excess food saving barrel space you can use for brewing.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »

I think dwarves put prepared meals in barrels despite them not needing to be stored in them. Have a stockpile dedicated solely to prepared meals, forbid barrels in it, forbid prepared meals anywhere else.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »

If i remember corretly, you should go to stockpile setting - q - and go to the furniture stockpile, that adjust the number of barrels, that this stockpile must have at least (use keys - e r E R). Then u may switch that number at food stokpile to zero. After that, all produced barrels should be transported to the furniture stockpile. At least it helped me. They tried to use every single barrel my carpenter produced for food, but after i set the number, they began bringing barrels to furn. stockpile - so my brewer could at last do his work :D

And try to enlarge your stockpiles.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »

Make multiple food stockpiles.  Make a large stockpile for plants, meat, cheese, prepared meals, and other foodstuffs that don't need barrels.  Set max barrels on that stockpile to zero.   Then make a smaller stockpile that only accepts booze and has maxumum max barrels allowed.  Your dwarves will then pile plants and such in the large stockpile without wasting barrels.

If you don't have enough room to store all the food, dig out larger stockpiles and do something interesting with the stone.  If you're still producing more food than your dwarves will ever eat, reduce the size or activity of your farms.  It's very easy to overproduce food, and fairly hard to actually starve a fortress unless you really mess up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »

Separate stockpiles for booze, plants and rest of food help with that. And turning off the farms once you got enough.
My current fort did not grow a single plant in 4 years and still has 2500 plants.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:54:07 pm »

You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »

Hi!

If I restrict my food stockpile to a certain number of barrels, then my dwarves will just dump seeds and plants all over the floor (and by all over, I mean one seed occupies an entire square metre of space), so they go crazy trying to find a place to put the food and end up losing it. So, one way or another, they are determined to fill my food stockpile to its very limits.

I am just wondering, don't you have bags for the seeds?

Other than that, as was already said, simply stop production. As long as you don't cook the seeds, you can leave them in the stockpiles until you need to start growing crops again.

And if you have some wood on the map, don't hesitate to clear-cut. It will grow back.

Deathworks

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »

Seeds will be stored in barrels, but if you provide bags, the dwarves will store the seeds in bags, and then store the bags of seeds in barrels. Bags can be made in the leatherworks out of leather, as well as in clothier workshops out of plant fiber cloth or spider silk.

Set your kitchen(s) to making food. That will reduce the number of raw plants and other bits around in your food stockpiles, and make your dwarves happy.

Trade for wood and barrels. I always negotiate for the highest level or just below of those for all wood and barrel types. I trade away stone mugs for them, and everyone is happy by it. This works well, even on heavily forested lands. Having the sudden influx of wood and empty barrels also helps me to keep down running out of barrels.

Dwarves love barrels more than bins. They use barrels for mass storage of all food types, so you always need an every increasing number of barrels. They will also store non-binnables in barrels (for instance, gysum plaster loaded bags). Having a furniture pile set to only barrels will allow you to see how many "ready" empty barrels you have available, which is handy if you want to schedule more to be made without having to see the "no barrel available" messages.

Have fun and good luck!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:33 pm »

You sound like you have 1 food stockpile for everything. Make lots of food stockpiles, split their functions up, designate a prepared-food-only stockpile that won't accept barrels (I assume you have cats to keep away vermin) and start cooking. All other advice given in above posts apply too - make bags, buy wood/barrels, deforest everything (which is harder in DF2010 as you have underground wood too). Remember to also rip out all the 'weeds' growing with your herbalists so more trees have space to grow back within 2 years-ish.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »

create a small stockpile just for seeds and forbid barrels to be put in it, just make sure you have pleanty of bags for them. Ime this has freed up quite a few barrels. Beyond that I'd personally create a separate stockpile just for booze (with max barrels allowed) and furniture pile set to except only barrels(empty), this'll allow you to see how many free barrels you currently have.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »

On the stock[p]ile screen (the one you use to designate new stockpiles), increase the number of 'reserved barrels' to something like 5.

This way once you're down to your last 5 barrels (or whatever you set it to) the dwarves won't use them for storage, but they will still be available for jobs that need barrels (like brewing or building an ashery).

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

Make lots of food stockpiles, split their functions up, designate a prepared-food-only stockpile that won't accept barrels (I assume you have cats to keep away vermin) and start cooking.
When it comes time to trade, are prepared food stacks picked up together or each one separately?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »

If i remember corretly, you should go to stockpile setting - q - and go to the furniture stockpile, that adjust the number of barrels, that this stockpile must have at least (use keys - e r E R). Then u may switch that number at food stokpile to zero. After that, all produced barrels should be transported to the furniture stockpile. At least it helped me. They tried to use every single barrel my carpenter produced for food, but after i set the number, they began bringing barrels to furn. stockpile - so my brewer could at last do his work :D

And try to enlarge your stockpiles.

What you're looking for is the "reserve barrel" option from the stockpile menu (not the Q of a specific stockpile, but where you choose which stockpile you want)

The Reserve barrels is the number of barrels that don't get used for storage.  These can ONLY be used for tasks which specifically call for barrels (such as Brew Drink).

You can, of course, still run out of barrels, but only because you made too much alcohol (ha!)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:11:48 pm »

When it comes time to trade, are prepared food stacks picked up together or each one separately?
They'll pick them up a stack at a time.  Large stacks of masterwork prepared roasts are one of the fastest ways to get high-value export goods to the trade depot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2