Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble Hate...  (Read 707 times)

Pandatacular

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Noble Hate...
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »

So, I've been playing DF for two weeks now, finally got a fortress to the point where it attracted a baron.

"Cool", I think, "Everyone hate nobles, but still, a milestone for my fortress!"

I mean, they can't be that bad, right? Useless, but not actively bad!

...the very first construction mandate was for two slade items. He had an unfortunate magma-based accident not five minutes later. I understand the hate so much better now. The hate burns, as does magma.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Hate...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »

Welcome to the forums  :D

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:05 pm »

To be honest I don't mind nobles that much... if it's a mandate I can't complete then I just ignore it, since it doesn't upset the noble that much and until the hammerer comes there's no real risk from failing to complete it.

Noble's room demands and *reasonable* mandates (i.e. ones that you could actually fulfill - Slade requests are (hopefully?) a bug) add something else to work for other than just making the fort successful.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:37:42 pm »

With the new materials system nobles are no longer a threat. Sure, sure, they can order your legendary armorsmith beaten...but so what?

Its not like fists do any damage any more.  :D

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »

So you've incinerated your first whiney baron? Welcome friend.
One caveat though, yes its fun to burn them alive but if you can figure out a way to have them killed without ruining their possesions you have an effectively unlimited source of free trade goods.
I recommend some form of giant smashy room Nobles Only Lever Social Club. The constant reloading the doom maintenance on the room will have your masons and engineers so skilled you wont believe it.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

So you've incinerated your first whiney baron? Welcome friend.
One caveat though, yes its fun to burn them alive but if you can figure out a way to have them killed without ruining their possesions you have an effectively unlimited source of free trade goods.
I recommend some form of giant smashy room Nobles Only Lever Social Club. The constant reloading the doom maintenance on the room will have your masons and engineers so skilled you wont believe it.

As enjoyable as that is, I tend to recommend that you place the noble's quarters directly beneath the fortress' main reservoir.  Water is reasonably easy to cleanup and doesn't destroy much of anything.  The mud is annoying, but these are nobles.  They don't deserve anything better.  Just remember to lock the door and control the drainage pumps/floodgates with a lever.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20:42 pm »

Having your first unfortunate accident with the nobility is like hitting Dwarven puberty.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."