Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, returns soon]  (Read 8969 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, many available]
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

wait just a [cotton-picking] minute...

Who did I operate on?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »

wait just a [cotton-picking] minute...

Who did I operate on?
An animal corpse. :D
Actually, a medical training dummy - I'd like it to take an animal corpse, but that doesn't work right now, and with meat it's slightly odd (won't take stuff from barrels?) so it currently just takes a splint and some building materials. The training 'reactions' require thread/cloth but don't use it up (as it'd use a whole bolt, not a smaller piece).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »

Given the surplus of dwarves, can I have a second?

If so, rename the gem cutter "Tholtig Aran" and enable her suturing labor, if you haven't already done so.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2010, 06:09:16 pm »

Sure thang! And yeah, it's enabled, and I have a medical dummy assigned to her.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2010, 06:18:21 pm »

Extra medical staff is always nice. Besides, jewelers need a steady hand and good attention to detail, making her a good medical candidate.

EDIT: Fuck, both my dwarves have bad focus.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:24:56 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2010, 07:08:55 pm »

I'd like to claim Limul Athelokil as my own. He's currently a Strand Extractor (ie. completely useless), I'd like you to draft him and equip him with a silver war hammer. His nickname should be (suitably) "The Silver Hammer".

By the way, the spoiler tagged images on the front page seem to be messed up between dwarves 12-24, might wanna check that.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »

Yikes! It seems I took one of the screenshots in the wrong order; thanks for that!
Limul Athelokil is now known as 'The Silver Hammer'! He shall stop making beds and start training immediately!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »

Played two and a bit months because I was focusing on the construction; probably no update tomorrow!

2 Hematite
Managing work orders can only keep me so busy, and I've read all of the trade agreements (including historical ones) between various nations several times over, so I've been spending more time hanging around at the well, and I've had a chance to meet some of the newcomers. Urist McDoc introduced me to a gem cutter, Tholtig Aran, who's been training to help out in the hospital. We started to have a conversation about all the distractions there can be in the hospital, but they kept losing track and staring off at the ceiling, before catching themselves and asking what we were talking about.

10 Hematite
Another of the newcomers, a strand extractor who calls himself the Silver Hammer, asked when we planned to dig out the adamantine. I told him it would be a while yet, as we've got plenty of wealth from the mountain of gold we've dug up, so he asked if he could train with Carl and Oglokoog, and requested (surprisingly) a silver hammer. You never know when the Squashed Monsters will turn up, and we've plenty of silver, so I agreed. It'll give Andreus a nice break from forging endless copper corkscrews, too!

12 Hematite
Andreus came up to show me the fine hammer he'd crafter for the Silver Hammer. It was exceptional indeed, but as I admired it and asked questions about how he'd managed to detail it as he had, he grew increasingly quiet. I asked him what was wrong, but he just asked that I deliver the hammer and scurried off.

The dwarves working the furnaces informed me that he'd stopped churning out corkscrews and had brought down a chunk of bronze. He'd glance around before scratching a line into it here or there, and mime a few hammerstrikes.

13 Hematite
Apparently, Andreus has started hitting his bronze for real, now.

16 Hematite
Andreus finally emerged from the bowels of the fortress. He climbed into a table in the great hall and held up an incredible crossbow for all to see.

Then he returned to making corkscrews, although they seem a lot more deadly now than ever before.

22 Hematite
So much for getting a lot of time off now! Andreus finished making corkscrews, and we've starting building a system of pumps to extract magma from the belly of the land and bring it up closer to the surface, to keep us warm and to facilitate the processing of metal ores. I spend nearly all of my time overseeing its installation.

9 Malachite
The pump system is about halfway complete, now. Mainly through efforts by Zon Fernbusts, we have a room full of levers and pullies that will allow us to control the flow of magma via some complex series of mechanisms. I leave the detailed implementation to her.

20 Malachite
As I watched Biff install one of the pumps, there was a horrible groan from below, and a great crash - several of the other pumps had collapsed, sending their components about the place. It gave me a hideous fright! A few blocks and screws are lost, but most of it can be reclaimed. We're set back a couple of months on the project, but at least nobody's been hurt. We'll just have to be more careful from now on.

11 Galena
Humans have recognised us as a valuable source of trade! I finally got a break from the pump project - I think everyone working on it is glad for the momentary reprieve.

We took from them some cloth, plenty of meats, some booze (sure, we have plenty, but you can never have too much!) and a few other odds and ends. Perhaps this is a good sign of our growth, and maybe the minotaurs will see fit to come to us in the Winter. I'm sure Andreus will be interested in seeing some of the unusual weapons they wield, and they're famed for providing interesting creatures to inhabit one's labyrinth. If their goods impress I might be tempted to actually build a labyrinth! But I get ahead of myself; perhaps they're too busy warring with the Squashed Monsters.

25 Sandstone
On the page are various holy symbols and runes of worship.
O' Rithzâm, please let us finish this pump system soon.

13 Timber
I received a note under my door today asking for a glass furnace to be set up, without a signature. Still, it's a nice idea to get some glass around the place, so I've ordered one be built to take advantage of the magma channel that will soon be flowing.

14 Timber
Joyous, blessed day! The pumps are all safely in place, and all safety checks have passed! The magma stack is ready! We pulled one of Zon's levers (wouldn't have been the first to do so, ha ha ha!) and the channel filled with glorious, delicious magma!
I received another note, much like the one from yesterday, asking for one that wouldn't need magma, and written in a much less steady hand. I talked to one of our workers, who'd worked with glass in the past, and they said it'd be harmless. When I went to the dining hall to eat, I found a furnace set up, occupied by a dwarf who 'furtively' slipped every passerby a note asking if they had any glass. I sighed, and asked some others to make a few pieces of cheap glass. They said they'd need bags for sand, yada yada yada. I asked Urist McCoy, who happened to be at hand, to take care of it.

3 Moonstone
Apparently the dwarf who'd been yelling for glass was in some sort of mood; McCoy told me how he'd taken him in for something called 'psychologging' or some such. I wondered what glass had to do with trees, but knew better than to ask; Rith is in a much more sane state, and has started construction on some item he claims will blow our minds.

Current State of the Fort:
Sorry; I took all screenshots this time in 8x12 instead of 12x12, so things are a little distorted.
Spoiler: Z=0, Entrance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z-1, Farms & Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z-2, Dining (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z-4, Control Room (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z-13, Magma Delivery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status Screen (click to show/hide)

Goals:
Spoiler: Immediate Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long-Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:19:19 am by Samthere »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2010, 07:51:26 pm »

This fortress is starting to be more and more beautiful, I must say. Especially the living area is great, what with the town square and the hospital and all. I think this is where true DF skill lies - after a week or two of playing, almost everyone can survive, but only those who go beyond simple survival in one way or another are truly playing the game :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 01:08:52 am »

I agree, I really like your designs!  ...And this is coming from a narcissist that normally finds all other players' fort layouts strange and foreign.

Also, unless I misread, super handy that we got a Legendary Weaponsmith already.  Requesting the first Steel Shortsword we have time/resources to spare! :D
...Eh?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

Thanks much! It's nice to hear :D

And yeah, Carl, Andreus' mood was super fortunate. You'll have kick-ass equipment in no time! :D

Out of curiosity, do you think there's a point to farming obsidian? Normally I'd automatically go for it, but with the abundance of gold there may not be much of a reason (apart from the magma pillar, which will probably be constructed from obsidian).

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 02:23:41 am »

Thanks much! It's nice to hear :D

And yeah, Carl, Andreus' mood was super fortunate. You'll have kick-ass equipment in no time! :D

Out of curiosity, do you think there's a point to farming obsidian? Normally I'd automatically go for it, but with the abundance of gold there may not be much of a reason (apart from the magma pillar, which will probably be constructed from obsidian).

Well, I think the "make rock short sword" bug should get fixed soon. And even if it doesn't, obsidian rock crafts are pretty handy, especially when encrusted with high value gems.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 08:55:53 am »

Oooh, can the Silver Hammer have a new, higher quality hammer then?

Great work so far, looking forward to the first battles against some goblins!

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 01:10:16 pm »

Well, I think the "make rock short sword" bug should get fixed soon. And even if it doesn't, obsidian rock crafts are pretty handy, especially when encrusted with high value gems.
I think obsidian short swords are inferior to steel anyhow.  But yeah obsidian is one of the more valuable stones so it's nice for crafts (although I think in 2010 it's bugged and can't be used for anything other than constructions?).  Plus it's magma-safe and (most importantly if you ask me) there's just the novelty of using it at all.
Oooh, can the Silver Hammer have a new, higher quality hammer then?
Make sure it's still silver!  Not only can I keep making Maxwell's Silver Hammer jokes about you in my head, but because due to combat changes in 2010 silver is supposedly now the best (even beating out the usual obvious exception) material to make blunt weapons out of (as opposed to it previously being the worst metal for everything).
...Eh?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 01:13:30 pm »

Whirlrelics is coming along nicely I see (hoorah weaponsmiths)! How old is it now?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9