Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, returns soon]  (Read 8941 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Whirlrelic - The Pillars of Equality! [Community, many available]
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 01:26:06 pm »

(most importantly if you ask me) there's just the novelty of using it at all.
This :D

2010 silver is supposedly now the best (even beating out the usual obvious exception) material to make blunt weapons out of (as opposed to it previously being the worst metal for everything).
I was under the impression that that exception doesn't hold, and li'l old adam actually makes for some of the worst blunt weaponry due to its ridiculously low density, which is the overriding factor in blunt combat. That said, blunt combat's much less effective than edged right now, but hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

Whirlrelics is coming along nicely I see (hoorah weaponsmiths)! How old is it now?
Nearly two years!

I think I might play a little today, after all. :D

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »

I asked for a silver hammer because it's the best material for blunt weapons (such as hammers). It's better than -that- too, actually.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 03:36:26 pm »

I asked for a silver hammer because it's the best material for blunt weapons (such as hammers). It's better than -that- too, actually.

Shame weapons can't be made out of platinum...
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »

It's not.
I'm still new to DF so it's totally possible I'm wrong, but the stone that can be created from magma and is what all magma natively sits in on maps is not magma safe?
...Eh?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »

It's not.
I'm still new to DF so it's totally possible I'm wrong, but the stone that can be created from magma and is what all magma natively sits in on maps is not magma safe?

Yes, if this page is to be trusted (which it likely is, considering it lists the specific melting points and you can hardly make a mistake there, considering they're just written in the raws): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma-safe

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

Ignore this post.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

Shorter one this time.

25 Moonstone
The avesae came flapping back to the fort, looking worried and begging us for help. One of their horses got stuck in a dried-up pond. Sure, they can show off all they want, but they look like fools when they don't realise horses can't fly!

I'll send someone to help out, if only so they'll stop their chattering. Sissies.

26 Moonstone
The glassmaker in the dining hall is apparently ready to 'blow our minds'.

The spikes are a nice touch, but the whole thing seems a bit fragile for me to get too excited. It didn't seem to faze him. Nonetheless, we've one less glass furnace in the dining room, which is always a good thing!

14 Opal
Urist McDoc says he's getting bored of taking stock of everything in the fortress. He's nearly done counting every rock, though, so he's agreed to finish that before going back to train in the hospital.

7 Obsidian
Andreus came to me today to tell me how he'd realised he'd gotten distracted while making the last ≡silver war hammer≡ for the Silver Hammer, and showed me its successor.

Grand!

16 Obsidian

The minotaurs have come to trade! Such fantastic goods! Among the normal purchases, we managed to acquire:
Spoiler: Shopping List (click to show/hide)
They don't talk much more than necessary, but they gave us some tips to defend our 'labyrinth' from the Squashed Monsters, and some info about their recent actions. I was so pleased with the trading that I gave them some of our finest dinners as a parting gift.

21 Obsidian
Nearly two years, we've been here. Even the most recent arrivals have been here for almost a year. It's really starting to feel like a home, with a [rather extensive] family. This land is truly blessed - it seems no dream is too grand for Whirlrelics.

Current State of the Fort:
Spoiler: Status Screen (click to show/hide)

Goals:
Spoiler: Immediate Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long-Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Gains (click to show/hide)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »

Cool, a Mastercraft silver hammer! Silver Hammer is happy, yes! Hope he becomes a Hammerlord soon!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »

Will be melting down some anvils I bought from the minotaurs to see if we can't get masterwork steel weapons for the others, too. If not, they'll have to settle with exceptional until I dig out and process another hematite/bituminous coal vein.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

I just had a thought. Depending on how deep the map is, we could very well build a pillar entirely of adamantine. If so, can it be in the very center?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2010, 08:09:42 pm »

I've considered it, but I doubt we'll have enough adamantine to spare for it. Each pillar will probably take at least 300+ of its building material, just for the outer wall. So the central piece is probably going to be the 3D golden scales.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2010, 09:14:51 pm »

The towers of one of my earlier posts required exactly 520 of their respective material, for both walls and floor.

Also, bravo. That is an incredibly tall pipe of <shiny>.
Once i had a 163zlevel-high spike that becomes tube (e.g. open into slade cavern) only in 2 or 3 lowest zlevels.
So there were about 3000 adamantine boulders.

You lucky bastard.

Spoiler: Adamantine mechanics (click to show/hide)
I'm sorry if it's kinda confusing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:45:38 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 07:00:19 pm »

Sorry, guys - no update today. Got delayed and I'm too tired at this point to give it the proper attention needed. I'll play extra hard tomorrow, though!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »

Crash for unknown reason today, so lost all my work on Spring so far, including the fantastic new golden well :(
And the cavern habitat was designed, dug and almost ready D:
Frustrated and delayed until tomorrow. Sorry, all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9