Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fantasy Race Mental Images  (Read 4060 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Race Mental Images
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:14 pm »

Humans: Curiosity leads them to interact with most other races. Their communities are tightly-knit, and they are often very superstitious. Traders and merchants, often get themselves into trouble.

Elves: Scornful of anything not Elven. Believe most other races to be barbaric, and their own race to be the "dominant" race. Like to spend time writing poetry and music and the like. The most "artistic" of the races, but also the most snobbish and more difficult to deal with than humans. Easily angered.

Dwarves: Xenophobic, mistrusting of other races. They don't usually leave their mountain fortresses, so they are rarely the aggressors in a conflict. Have a strong sense of duty and would generally rather die than suffer dishonor. They hold grudges for a long time. However, they realize the benefits of trade and are usually open to peaceful interactions with other races, providing that they have something to gain.

Goblins: Crafty and dangerous. Deceitful. Unpredictable. Any negotiations or agreements with them must be enforced by direct force. Shunned by other races, hated by Dwarves.

Orcs: "Barbaric." Their strong traditional sense of honor and glory in combat makes other races see them with distaste. They see other races as weak and unfit to live. Very good at starting wars.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »

Soooo I guess a lot of the forumites subscribe heartily to Always Chaotic Evil?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pathos

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »

Soooo I guess a lot of the forumites subscribe heartily to Always Chaotic Evil?

Nah, more always chaotic for a lot of races, but chaotic / lawful have a much different meaning in my mind. More savage vs civilised.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:02 pm »

Goblins; ever since seeing Gobbo's thread about, well *[NSFW]*, my view of them has been a touch unusual to say the least. Nothing like WH or WoW goblins though, that's for sure.

Kobolds; Cutebolds all the way; soft, fuzzy, sort of mousey, with a charming idiocy childlike innocence and sense of adventure.
Oh yea, the hawt versions. I dont USUALY unamgine them like this because most seting it just wouldnt work, but it's probably my favorite conception ofthem... ;)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »

Oh yea, the hawt versions. I dont USUALY unamgine them like this because most seting it just wouldnt work, but it's probably my favorite conception of them... ;)

well, that's it. Now we have to find a setting where these goblins makes sense.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 05:44:59 pm »

Oh yea, the hawt versions. I dont USUALY unamgine them like this because most seting it just wouldnt work, but it's probably my favorite conception of them... ;)

My intuition tells me it's probably japanese.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »

In fantasy worlds, obviously.

/doublemeaning
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 05:48:41 pm »

My intuition tells me it's probably japanese.
you took it to far broski.  :(

/doublemeaning
oh ho ho ho.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »

Humans:  I picture chivalrous and industrious peoples. Often greedy as all hell.

Elves:  Tall, graceful folk with long ears that are proficient with bows and being generally awesome at stuff.

Dwarves:  Short, entrenched in politics and geology. Architecture > all other things.

Goblins:  I picture goblins from Magic The Gathering. Curious, evil little things that craft together killing machines and weapons, only to have many backfire.

Orcs:  LotR. Nuff Said.

Gnomes:  WoW gnomes. Tinkering little troublemakers. Often with stupid pun names like "Gnomercy"

Trolls:  I usually picture WoW trolls again. Tall tribal folks with tusks 'n stuff.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:41 pm »

Wadja want me tu kill?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 [3]