Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Most inappropriate engravings  (Read 10100 times)

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: Most inappropriate engravings
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 06:25:35 am »

"The Balls of Dignity"? XD

First thing I realised too. Brilliant name.

Biban: "...The Balls of Dignity?"
Engraver: "Yes, I made this in remember of your balls, that you have officially lost when you jumped on your throne shrieking!"
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:21 am »

My ex-Mayor's new hovel getting engraved with pictures of him leaving office.

This is an engraving of Dwarves.  Urist Mcexmayor is surrounded by the dwarves.  The dwarves look stern, Urist is weeping.  This relates to the removal of Urist as mayor in the year 1234.  :'(

Also loads of some human taming giant eagles 1000 years ago. :/

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:40 am »

I remember a bit buggy engraving with image of my green glass barrel artifact.
Which of corse changed every time something was placed in that artifact.
One day it was image of Plant Green Glass Barrel the other day it was Meat Green Glass Barrel.

I'd love to imagine that every night some dwarf goes and update that image to keep track of whats inside and where it is (which stockpile)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

Oh they just hang pegs on it so they can put a little card of whatever's in it that day there.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 10:38:27 am »

I had a fortress where almost every single engraving was of the former mayor weeping, looking miserable, or curled up in a fetal position.

He had lost an election to another guy. Apparently he was a very sore loser.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 01:44:05 pm »

In my first DF2010 fort my militia commander died of thirst because I didn't understand schedules yet. The engravers covered the dining hall in images relating to the dehydration Melbil Oceanchannel, so everyone could drink exquisite booze while admiring the dozens of images of Melbil standing in the barracks slowing dying of dehydration. One dwarf even made an artifact figurine with Melbil on it.

Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »

Aside from having engravings of engravings of engravings of artifacts which depicted other artifacts, my main meeting hall was once engraved with images of elves striking down other elves and devouring each other. T'was not an appetizing sight, I imagine, but was doggone hilarious.

Oh yes, I also had an artifact made that depicted a moody dwarf gone berserk being struck down by the military. The way I look at it is, "Hey, you failed at making an artifact, so I'm going to make an artifact for the sole purpose of making a shrine to your failure." Asshole.

Another one was an iron shield artifact that depicted a goblin ambush cutting down immigrants. >_< Bet the bearer felt confident while he charged into combat.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:51 pm »

Yeah... Definitely nothing too inappropriate, but it just seems out of place in my fortress. Apparently the symbol of my dwarves group (The Riddled Treaty) is Dimple Cups. Those are the pretty little underground plant that looks like a heart. So now my fortress is covered in hearts and G's. The G's are images of travelling giants. I'm unsure why my engravers seems fascinated with these two giants and specifically with their 14th and 69th journey. (Anguishlobster and Trumpetdrink are the giants last names, can't remember their first) Although chances are it has something to do with me getting mad at the megabeasts never dying (even after 10000 years of world generation) and deciding that adding giants as a civilization might take care of that. It did take care of the megabeasts, but it also took care of the elves, the goblins, and the humans. Currently in "The Age of the Dwarves" which has lasted for about 8000 years, so I like to think that all those dead elves, goblins and humans are some kind of myth to the dwarves, as I've seen very few images of them in my fortress.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 06:35:02 pm »

10000 year long world gen sounds cool... I should try that once.

Also, Anguishlobster has to be like... the best name ever!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:59 pm »

One time, I had a craftsdwarf be possessed. So I thought, "Great, a new artifact." 
Well I got one.

"Scornspark, The Ferocious Hammer"

"This is a Marble bracelet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of shad bone. This object menaces with spikes of Marble and Aquamarine."

Why do I talk about a bracelet?
Well, I was engraving a huge hall, and was about halfway through when this bracelet was made.

Well, there's a clear dividing line in the dining room now. One side, varied carvings. On the other, Scornspark, everywhere. Everywhere...
it has calmed down, but 1 out of every ten engravings is scornspark...
I think I have discovered the ring (bracelet) of power. Time to take it off to mount doom to smelt it...

My next megaproject... a temple for   "Skornspark, the Ferocious Hammer"
It will have armed guards and drawbridges. It will have a large pit in case any dwarves feel like committing suicide after being overwhelmed by its beauty. A truly dwarfy way to go
Meowth! That's right!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »

A truly dwarfy way to go

The dwarven attitude towards suicide: "I'd better make sure I die now, because nobody is as qualified to kill me as I am."

Hence the ignoring fire, self-dehydration, poor balance when near rivers and carp, and so forth.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:42 am »

Like my trade depot being engraved with pictures of elves being beaten up by goblins, flanked with gold statues of humans being squished by a hill titan by the name of Smug.

EDIT: I should say, the room my trade depot is IN is engraved. Still. Elves died. Watcha gonna do about it.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:05:00 am by Rastaan »

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:22 am »

In my first DF2010 fort my militia commander died of thirst because I didn't understand schedules yet. The engravers covered the dining hall in images relating to the dehydration Melbil Oceanchannel, so everyone could drink exquisite booze while admiring the dozens of images of Melbil standing in the barracks slowing dying of dehydration. One dwarf even made an artifact figurine with Melbil on it.

What an asshole, the guy dehydrated, and the figurine gets called "The Big Eater"

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 09:20:19 am »

This is one that started out bad, but turned out to be good.  I'd had a few figurines and decorations depiect some goblins.  I fired up legends modes to check them out.  Turns out each goblin had been one slaughtered by my militia.  Iron clad dwarves with steel weapons are pretty brutal against those iron/copper wearing goblins.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:53 am »

I've got a legendary blacksmith thanks to a lucky mood - got an artifact steel anvil at the cost of 1 steel bar, too. Since then I've had him churning out gold statues as fast as I can get the materials. The problem is that 2 of his 6 gold statues have been of cockroaches. And he hates cockroaches!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4