Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Most inappropriate engravings  (Read 10090 times)

Wyrframe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most inappropriate engravings
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:55 pm »

A great dining hall that I discovered, to my own personal horror, was covered in memorials to the evisceration of the Duke and his retinue of 14+ immigrants who decided to migrate to my fortress just seconds before an orcish siege descended upon me. All 10x15 tiles of the dining hall floor, smeared in murals of the event.

And I, too, have had mayoral offices dedicated to the exploits of a /previous/ mayor. I'd hate to think if these sorts of images actually impacted a dwarf's unhappiness... I'd almost stop engraving entirely.

Actually, scratch that. I'd set aside an area to do test engravings, and use it to check the "mood" of my engravers before letting them engrave larger areas. That might prevent some of these problems.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:19 pm »

-evisceration-

You can remove floor engravings by constructing floors on top of them and removing the floors afterwards. Doesn't work for walls obviously.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »

The symbol of my home civilization, the Iron Stars, is... a bucket. I have no idea why, but... yeah. Half my walls are covered in buckets!

Other than that, haven't seen anything really bad, though I should probably look around again, now that I've killed some forgotten beasts.

By the way, Dwarves don't get unhappy thoughts from improper engravings, right?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 09:25:45 pm »

I think they only get mad if they see an engraving of something they dislike.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »

I engraved every inch of my mayor's office only to find that next to the heroic engraving of him founding the fortress was an image of him quivering in fear at being surrounded by rats. xD
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »

Best I ever had was a dwarf getting killed by an elf, however, and here is the catch, the dwarf in question was my living breathing mayor.

Looks up the legends and it turns out there was also a dwarf with the same name who was killed by an elf, but still, it was lolful to think my engraver thought he knew the future, or didn't like the mayor.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »

At least we humans don't engrave things or put images of events on our stuff as much as dwarfs do. We'd have murals of presidents being assassinated and such all over D.C. as well as your standard cheeseburgers, Pontiac TransAms, and insects.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

At least we humans don't engrave things or put images of events on our stuff as much as dwarfs do. We'd have murals of presidents being assassinated and such all over D.C. as well as your standard cheeseburgers, Pontiac TransAms, and insects.
I'm hoping my sarcasm detector is wonky today, because I think all of those could be found in a Smithsonian somewhere...
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:17 pm »

Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »

"The Balls of Dignity"? XD

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:38 am »

I had an engraver do six images of my leader looking miserable and surrounded by purring maggots.  That was a bit annoying.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 12:33:31 am »

I embarked a fortress in a hilly area because I knew there was a demon wandering around there, and thought it'd be fun to try to handle it. Sometime later, I had carved out a dorm for all my dwarves, and had my engraver go to work.

By the time he was done, the room was filled with carvings of that very same demon.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:18 am »

I had my mason make a bunch of statues for the dining room, right? He made all eight of them about dead dogs or dogs in the process of being killed by sundry humanoids and wildlife. I nicknamed him "Urist McJerusalem" after that.

Another time, I had an engraver put not one, but two pictures of the same dwarven soldier being killed in battle. Why was it inappropriate? It was in the soldier's mother's room.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 02:58:31 am »

I had a very popular mayor die, which caused some tantruming but I was able to get it under control.

The fortress was large enough that I would simply assign brand new rooms to the nobles when I got a new one, and carve out an additional tomb connecting to the old bedrooms.  This reduced a lot of the hauling jobs to place items in a tomb that belonged to the noble.

So I carved out a new room, made it shiny, carved out a new tomb for the new mayor.

The engravings were mostly about the election of the previous mayor, the artifact the previous mayor had made, the masterful work the previous mayor had done, the previous mayor laughing at goblins making plaintive gestures... and a few about cheese and plump helmets.

So the new mayor's rooms were almost shrines to the old mayor.

'S called having big shoes to fill.   I believe the White House does something similar, but not so much in the bedrooms, no.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 04:34:26 am »

"The Balls of Dignity"? XD

First thing I realised too. Brilliant name.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4