Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Most inappropriate engravings  (Read 10112 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most inappropriate engravings
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:27:50 am »

So I decided to engrave my dining room.

The overwealmingly most popular subject for my engravers turned out to be images of ogres devouring humans.  (There was an ogre civilization in a cave near my embark site, which was repeatedly sieged by a nearby human civilization during worldgen).  Still, it could have been worse (they put the image of a human being devoured by a tentacle demon in the barracks).

What other particularly inappropriate combinations of subjects and locations have your engravers come up with?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most inappropriate engravings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44:52 am »

On a succession fort, I had an engraver start engraving the baron's new quarters.  The engraver put a lot of flies all over the room.  The baron hated flies. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:44 am »

I had an engraver engrave (Alliteration? I should say carve) an image of the expedition leader surrounded by rats, his most hated vermin. Inappropriateness? It was in his luxurious bedroom.

Wouldn't that suck. Every day you wake up to see a great big mural of yourself falling off a skyscraper, or speaking in public, or trapped in a tiny box, or submerged in water, or whatever your phobia was.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »

Not exactly an engraving, but I had to recently relinquish an aspiring metalsmith's artistic privileges (ie, disable labor) after discovering his perverse love of aphid demons (for their bloated appearance). He made eight of ten nickel statues of the things. He's a hauler now.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »

I had a very popular mayor die, which caused some tantruming but I was able to get it under control.

The fortress was large enough that I would simply assign brand new rooms to the nobles when I got a new one, and carve out an additional tomb connecting to the old bedrooms.  This reduced a lot of the hauling jobs to place items in a tomb that belonged to the noble.

So I carved out a new room, made it shiny, carved out a new tomb for the new mayor.

The engravings were mostly about the election of the previous mayor, the artifact the previous mayor had made, the masterful work the previous mayor had done, the previous mayor laughing at goblins making plaintive gestures... and a few about cheese and plump helmets.

So the new mayor's rooms were almost shrines to the old mayor. 
igless

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:20 pm »

Poor chap.  You could at least let him make figurines to sell to the caravan.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »

Poor chap.  You could at least let him make figurines to sell to the caravan.
And waste my precious metal? D:
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:13 pm »

It's already being wasted on STATUES, what's a figurine in comparison?  Gold is pretty and useless and valuable, one season of gold crafts kept my fortress in trading for years.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:29:51 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 12:32:28 pm »

Aphid demons bad?  Are you KIDDING?  I would love to have a dozen statues of aphid demons to line my tombs with instead of these sissy statues of cows, or statues of yeti striking down people that my dwarves have never even MET.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:39:32 pm »

The vast majority of my engravings are about 4 different subjects.

My first mayor and the other dwarves in my fort heaping praise upon her
Symbols of my dwarven government
My fort being founded
Assorted depictions of goblins bleeding out while my dwarves laugh

I think I've built Dwarven North Korea
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:58:29 pm »

The vast majority of engravings are of the fort's founding, the first mayor, masterful engravings, or the HFS I released, due to this being a 40d fort.

However, the trade depot has images of drowning elves, the great wealth of artifacts, and a few of a giant bat carrying away dwarves.
But there's a load of engravings of the flies and spiders that plague the fort. Flies because of the fields of rotting goblin bodies, and spiders that bite people.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 01:08:01 pm »

I never get any good ones.

Dozens of geometrical objects, a lot of political ones, the occasional really nifty bit of cheese.

Oh, and, as I said once before, about a hundred pertaining to "The release of the Demon Fetha Taintclashed from the darkest depths of Kab Ator in 1012 by careless miners," and not a single one of "The rapid, hammer-induced return of the Demon Fetha Taintclashed to the darkest depths of Kab Ator in 1012 by a bored champion."
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24:30 pm »

Not engravings but statues:  on a recent fortress I decided to liven the dining room up with some statues.  The mason decided to make several statues of giant roaches.  I placed them in the dining room anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:41:31 pm »

It's already being wasted on STATUES, what's a figurine in comparison?  Gold is pretty and useless and valuable, one season of gold crafts kept my fortress in trading for years.
I was building the nickel statues to train his metalworking.

1. Build Worthless Statue for XP
2. Melt Worthless Statue for Worthless Metal
3. Build Slightly-less-worthless Statue for XP
Repeat as necessary until he's levelled up and can reliably make ☼Platinum Statue☼s.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

When I was engraving the tombs to honor my fallen, the engravers carved walking elves into the tomb. ELVES!
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4