Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Issue (again)  (Read 1534 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Issue (again)
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:46 am »

I am sorry for starting new topic, but i can't possibly find what i need in 690 pages (lol)

I have an issue - military dwarves arenot picking the equipment that i have assigned. In fact my military comander somehow picked up the pick -_- And then he picked up extra iron shield, that was for another soldier. How can i make my dwarves equip exactly what i SAID them to equip?
I tried to disband them, and then giving the soldiers the MINING task. They immediately throw ALL their inventory into different stockpiles, but when i create the squad again and manage their uniform - my Military guy again picks up extra shield for some weird reason. Maybe he is afraid of being attacked from behind? :D
And i have one more question - how do u delete assigned items that dwarf has? It's - m - e - P and i get the list of items, that my soldiers have at that moment, but i can't possibly delete them from the list - only view :( Also i would like to know, how to make civil dwarf to drop some item - is it achieved my Forbiding it, or Dumping?
I am using 0.31.03 graph. version mayday.

nerpnerpnerp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Military Issue (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:16 am »

It depends. At more than 20 dwarves you'll get a noble position called Arsenal Dwarf. This guy will have to sign off all the armor to dwarves and if he is terrible at managerial skills this could take him months. If you have this position, make him the manager and que a whole bunch of jobs for him to do, it should get him up fairly quickly. Bonus points for queing jobs you don't have the workshop for.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »

Equipment is buggy now.  First of all, make sure you have an arsenal dwarf.

Disband your squad entirely -and- go to the nobles list and remove your militia commander.  you have to do both.

Go to the military menu and the equip screen.  From there, check your various commands at the top.  You can select different types of armor.  You can either select -individual- armor pieces (listed as 'specific [item type]) or a general type of armor (breastplate, for example) and a metal to go with it (steel, for example).  This will make that dwarf equip a steel breastplate.  A warning, however - the specific armor pieces is buggy right now as assigned items don't disappear from the list of equippable items.  This can be a pain when you have 40 iron boots to sort through for 10 dwarves, as it's really easy to assign the same boot to two different dwarves.  The best route to go is the 'general metal armor piece' route - the second one I mentioned.  Again, you'll need an arsenal dwarf.

If you, say, wanted your dwarfs entirely equipped in steel, the end result of their equipment list should be :

steel (weapon)
steel breastplate
steel mail shirt
steel helm
steel greaves
steel shield
steel high boot
steel high boot
steel left gauntlet
steel right gauntlet

-Try- and do this all in one go, without ever leaving the military screen once you start assigning eq.  Later changes can be funky.  It might work out fine, and the dwarf will switch out armor for the updated version, or add a new piece.  Or, your dwarf might throw a thong on his head, slap a wooden greave over his crotch and backside, and do the chicken dance.  It's a bit of a risk.

Again, even if you do all this right, equipment is a bit buggy right now.  It might work, it might not.  It also might take -time- to work.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:26:12 pm by Dekon »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:33:34 pm »

And i have one more question - how do u delete assigned items that dwarf has? It's - m - e - P and i get the list of items, that my soldiers have at that moment, but i can't possibly delete them from the list - only view :( Also i would like to know, how to make civil dwarf to drop some item - is it achieved my Forbiding it, or Dumping?

To delete those pesky items from the Pri/Assignments page you have to go back to the equip/view page, assign the dwarf the specific item you want rid of, then simply delete it - this tells the game to delete the item from Pri/Assignments page, and it should get dropped. If there are a bunch of indistinguishable items, you just have to assign and delete them one by one until the item disappears from Pri/Assignments.
 Finally, dumping works as a last resort to separate dwarves from their items - however, if the item is still assigned to them, the dwarf will pick it up again if you unforbid it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:40:29 pm by baruk »

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

Thx for answers - i'll try something. But if i dont have an Arsenal Dwarf? I mean - my population is still under 20 cap (about 15) and i am not going anywhere higher, until I establish some business. Is it necessary having an arsenal dwarf to get through this bug? I mean - it's really weird. When my soldier got a pick, i tried to forbid it through Inv window, but then while killing a horse (i was testing killing option) that soldier didnot use his metal spear, but butchered the horse with pick... :(

Man, and when we will get no-bug-glitch-issue version of DF?)) It's really interesting game, though i play for 2 weeks only, but it caught me pretty well, and it's quite disappointing that there are so much bugs, and u can't really folow the guides to have an interesting play...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:52:26 pm by Aravin »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:53:01 pm »

Thx for answers - i'll try something. But if i dont have an Arsenal Dwarf? I mean - my population is still under 20 cap (about 15) and i am not going anywhere higher, until I establish some business. Is it necessary having an arsenal dwarf to get through this bug? I mean - it's really weird. When my soldier got a pick, i tried to forbid it through Inv window, but then while killing a horse (i was testing killing option) that soldier didnot use his metal spear, but butchered the horse with pick... :(

Dump it, don't forbid. Forbid only stops items getting picked up when they are on the floor

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »

And he will throw it into refuse stockpile? Then if i assign another dwarf to be a miner, he will go to refuse stockpile and take the pick, wont he?

And i got another question - i noticed that even after disbanding the squad and removing baracks, and after former soldiers got rid of their equipment, they still then return to old place and do "Individual Combat Drill" - does that mean, that they will be soldiers forever? :(

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

And he will throw it into refuse stockpile? Then if i assign another dwarf to be a miner, he will go to refuse stockpile and take the pick, wont he?
In short, yes and no.

If you dump stuff, it gets forbidden after being dropped. If you then unforbid it, the original dwarf will claim it again if it is on his Pri/Assignments list. To make sure the pick is available again to miners, you need to delete it from the first dwarf's Pri/Assignments list using my other tip:

To delete those pesky items from the Pri/Assignments page you have to go back to the equip/view page, assign the dwarf the specific item you want rid of, then simply delete it - this tells the game to delete the item from Pri/Assignments page, and it should get dropped. If there are a bunch of indistinguishable items, you just have to assign and delete them one by one until the item disappears from Pri/Assignments.

Quote from: Aravin
And i got another question - i noticed that even after disbanding the squad and removing baracks, and after former soldiers got rid of their equipment, they still then return to old place and do "Individual Combat Drill" - does that mean, that they will be soldiers forever? :(
This is a bug you run into when you disband the military whilst dwarves are training. Not sure how to fix it, you could try putting them back in the military, or perhaps wait for a month first, see if the problem persists.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

If you dump stuff, it gets forbidden after being dropped. If you then unforbid it, the original dwarf will claim it again if it is on his Pri/Assignments list. To make sure the pick is available again to miners, you need to delete it from the first dwarf's Pri/Assignments list using my other tip:

Yes. Thank u for that tip - it worked for me. Partly... the first time i set it, my mil. commander equipped himself as i told him, not taking extra picks or armors, but my second soldier just continued staying and doing nothing. At the second time, it crashed -_- : militia commander, despite all my indications, took extra equipment, and the second soldier continued doing nothing. Could u tell me what did i wrong?

My actions:
1) Using your method, i cleaned all their Pri/Assignments. There is just list of their civilian clothes. And yes, before that, i disbanded them all, and they dropped everything they had. And then create a band again.
2) I began adding specific weapons and armors (cause i got only 2 soldiers and 3 set of armor)
3) I checked the Pri/Assignments list again - everything is alright, then i pressed ESC.
Despite that they had items in their Pri/Assignments list, they just continued "combat drilling" thing. Then i returned to Military, and tried to assign uniform (that consisted of spear, breastplate and shield - there is no specific armor/weapon option in uniforms - while i have 3 iron spear, 3 iron breastplate and 3 iron shield).
After assiging uniform - militia commander ran to get his equipment (and did it entirely correctly), while the second is idling - as i have described higher. Then i closed DF through manager and tried to do everything higher again, and my commander got two set of assigning armor, while second soldier is still.. erh... combat drilling. Naked :D

Please, tell me how to fix it. It's the second day already, that i cant play DF because of military stuff -_-

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:25:18 pm »

Not sure I can fix it, to be honest. However, my military seems to work after a lot of trial and error, so I'll describe what I did, maybe it will help.

I have 5 squads, but only 1 dwarf in each squad (so just 4 militia captains + commander in total) and each squad has their own small 3x3 barracks with "Train" enabled - this setup seems to ensure that they always do "indiv combat training" instead of the interminable and useless "waiting for dodging demonstration".
 The other barracks toggles I suspect may just cause problems - I leave them alone. Squad Eq seems to be evil, stops dwarves from equipping with any items outside the barracks I think, so I leave it untoggled. I haven't bothered with Indiv. Eq, Position or Rest.
 To equip them, I first assigned them the metal uniform, which worked fine for armour (had plenty of steel suits ready), but indiv. choice melee caused problems as half of them decided to grab iron picks, so I assigned specific weapons instead, which they wielded in addition to the picks. Here I eventually figured out how to make them drop the superfluous weapons by assigning and deassigning the specific items.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:27:03 pm by baruk »

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:18:26 am »

Not sure I can fix it, to be honest. However, my military seems to work after a lot of trial and error, so I'll describe what I did, maybe it will help.

I have 5 squads, but only 1 dwarf in each squad (so just 4 militia captains + commander in total) and each squad has their own small 3x3 barracks with "Train" enabled - this setup seems to ensure that they always do "indiv combat training" instead of the interminable and useless "waiting for dodging demonstration".
 The other barracks toggles I suspect may just cause problems - I leave them alone. Squad Eq seems to be evil, stops dwarves from equipping with any items outside the barracks I think, so I leave it untoggled. I haven't bothered with Indiv. Eq, Position or Rest.
 To equip them, I first assigned them the metal uniform, which worked fine for armour (had plenty of steel suits ready), but indiv. choice melee caused problems as half of them decided to grab iron picks, so I assigned specific weapons instead, which they wielded in addition to the picks. Here I eventually figured out how to make them drop the superfluous weapons by assigning and deassigning the specific items.

Man, thx u a lot. I assigned them the metal uniform, then deleted the specific ind. melee choice and added manualy iron spears - and they just go and took everything i assigned. Picked up correctly:D God, now i can play)

I have one more question.
If I want them to drop iron spears, i should have just deassign and they will drop it?
Ah - and when will those goblins come? I mean, if 4-5 soldiers and 2 war dogs are enough to kill off all those thieves and ambushers? Well at least thieves?

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:53 pm »

I have one more question.
If I want them to drop iron spears, i should have just deassign and they will drop it?
Ah - and when will those goblins come? I mean, if 4-5 soldiers and 2 war dogs are enough to kill off all those thieves and ambushers? Well at least thieves?
Yup, deassigning the spears should cause them to be dropped.
 Thieves aren't too much trouble, but ambushes can kill entire fortresses. Having lots of cage traps at the entrance is recommended as a fledgling military can be easily outmatched.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:28:26 pm »

If you, say, wanted your dwarfs entirely equipped in steel, the end result of their equipment list should be :

I've noticed my dwarves will pick up two gauntlets or boots for each slot in the uniform/equipment list so doubles aren't necessary... do they sometimes only pick up one? I thought that only happened if you run short and the last two get snatched up by two different recruits.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.