Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masochist dwarves  (Read 520 times)

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delve:DF blog
Masochist dwarves
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

Hi a few questions.
I recently had 40 migrants come, I dug a huge, crude bedroom wing near their work area and furnished it. The migrants seem to prefer sleeping on the ground , making them all cranky.

1.Do i have to "hand assign" every friggin dwarf to a burrow before they choose to sleep there? If so, balls to that. I seem to remember from previous fortresses that the midgets would claim their own beds, not happening here.

2.At what point when I refill a pond does it stop evaporating, or does it ever?

3. I refuse to meet any of the mayors demands. I wont even build him a bed, what negative things can this cause?

4. I have had a dwarf recovering from a broken arm for about a year now, do I need to build a "traction bench?", Im assuming thats a medical aide, not some weird mechanical device.

5. my military refuses to carry the arrows I have supplied them, even after I have assigned their ammo, and built them all quivers. what gives.

6. Dwarves refuse to drink for the wells, even though they are only 4 z levels above open water, and designated as "water source" they all say "active"

Thats all for now, thanks for your help!

Delve, tales from my fortress: http://lodestones.wordpress.com
Let me know what you think!

nerpnerpnerp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Masochist dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:15 am »

I can help with a few of these.
2. I think it's either one or two that it evaporates. Certainly anything over 4 will stay full.
3. Well, your dwarves (occasionally ones with the appropriate skill) will get beaten, which isn't a very nice experience, and, of course, your mayor will get an unhappy thought. Once you get a baron/king the Hammerdwarf is gonna start bashing skulls in instead of just a light whipping.
4. The Traction Bench is for broken parts, I believe, but you'll also need a splint or cast.
If you get any dwarves with no health problems that still just sit on their asses just deconstruct the bed they're on - it's a bug.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Masochist dwarves
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »

1.Do i have to "hand assign" every friggin dwarf to a burrow before they choose to sleep there? If so, balls to that. I seem to remember from previous fortresses that the midgets would claim their own beds, not happening here.
They should automatically claim beds.  Do you have the economy turned on?  If so, turn it off .. although it might be too late, as it may be the case that once the economy turns on you can't turn it off.  When the economy is on many of your dwarves may be unable to afford to live in your nice communal bedroom.

2.At what point when I refill a pond does it stop evaporating, or does it ever?
Depends on your climate.  Might be never.  Also, dwarves drinking from a pond deplete the water in it.

3. I refuse to meet any of the mayors demands. I wont even build him a bed, what negative things can this cause?

He'll be unhappy, possibly to the point of tantruming or going insane.  Other than that, nothing, assuming that you're talking about demands and not mandates.  Missed mandates cause random dwarves to get punished.

4. I have had a dwarf recovering from a broken arm for about a year now, do I need to build a "traction bench?", Im assuming thats a medical aide, not some weird mechanical device.

Traction benches are built at the mechanic's workshop.  You need mechanisms, a table, and ropes/chains to make them and once made they are a piece of furniture you build in your hospital zone.  I haven't had any dwarves with broken arms so I don't know how effective they are.  You might also need plaster to make a cast for him.

5. my military refuses to carry the arrows I have supplied them, even after I have assigned their ammo, and built them all quivers. what gives.

Carrying ammunition is buggy right now.  There may be a way to get it to work, but I don't know it.

6. Dwarves refuse to drink for the wells, even though they are only 4 z levels above open water, and designated as "water source" they all say "active"
Wells don't need to be designated as water source zones, but when you press (q) and select the well it should read as active.  Only one dwarf can drink from a well at a time, and the higher above the water the well is the longer it takes (bucket has to make a longer trip), and if the well is occupied other thirsty dwarves will go elsewhere.  Make more wells so.  Better yet, brew booze so they don't have to drink water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.