Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Four forts. Still no barons.  (Read 1184 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Four forts. Still no barons.
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:28 am »

I've been hoping for nobles to show up for my forts for a while, just because I find dealing with them to be an interesting part of the game.  Ever since .31 came out, though, I haven't gotten a baron. 

I've gotten past the created wealth requirement, exported wealth and population.  I've created tons and tons of stuff, more than satisfying the '25 wood, 25 stone, 10 jewel, 10 cooking, 25 crafting' requirements.  The liason has showed up and talked but no mention of a baron.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Four forts. Still no barons.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:01 am »

I think you have to appoint the baron from one of your own dwarves now.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:31:12 pm »

Yeah, but the option only arises from the liason's visit - as far as I know - and it hasn't happened yet.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »

how many years have passed?  Usually it happens to me after I am over  80 dwarfs and in about year four.

Incidentally don't forget (like I did) that once a dwarf is a baron or baroness, all of the skills that dwarf has learned gets drowned in beer and chalk statue parties.  The noble will work no longer.  So my manager, chief medical dwarf, and book keeper, high master miner and a good mason... did squat.  I had to reassign all of those tasks. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:09:50 pm by Hyperturtle »
igless

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35:07 pm »

Ah, on the other hand, I got my baron at the end of year 2.  We had 40 dwarves and a created wealth of around 120,000 (sedimentary layers/marble along with all the resources) as well as exported wealth around 25,000 after the dwarven caravan.  Of course, I was also cranking out all four stone crafts on continuous repeat as well as constantly chopping trees, making charcoal, smelting ore and forging (along with all the agricultural products and clothesmaking) so there were a ton of jobs constantly going on.

I nominated my bookkeeper to the baron...he wasn't doing much other than keeping track of stocks, and there's three other dwarves with record keeping skill right now.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:54:52 pm »

My understanding from 40d was those jobs had to ordered from the job manager, not the workshop. Try that?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

I always use the manager, so that's not it 8(

This latest one is a very productive fort.  I've got resources flowing out like mad, but no baron yet.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:21:54 pm »

I haven't had one appointed either, nor an offer to choose one, despite that in two different fortresses I could get the king now if I wanted to build a pile more roads.  I never had any problem getting them in 40d and my habits haven't changed.  I do have piles of mayors, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

I've managed to get the baron only once...who died shortly there after in a seige and totally screwed up my nobles screen..

Maybe after you reach the requirements it takes a second visit from the liaison? I.E. the liaison visits and sees you meet the requirements, and leaves to tell the mountain homes, then comes back next year to make the offer? Or perhaps there's a construction requirement for the baron now? I know  I had built a small road to the edge of the map and a series of walls/floors/bridges which I havent really done to that scale on any other fort since.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.