Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re embark in the same location!  (Read 421 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re embark in the same location!
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

I really like where my fortress is right now, is there any way I can start a new embark in the same location if I don't remember where my fortress was.  I want to try doing it again with no traps this time around but I really liked the location because it had plentiful ore, fuel, and flux.  Thanks!

I also don't want to abandon and reclaim the fortress, I would like to start from scratch.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re embark in the same location!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:56:18 am »

Nope

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:09:46 am »

You can do an abandon and reclaim to find the spot of the fortress you liked, and then export the worldgen info (there's some way to do it). Then you can re-gen a world with the same data, and you should get the same fort location and then you can start from scratch. Kind of a roundabout solution, but it does work. At least, so other people say.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:25 am »

is there anyway to reclaim a fort but make the are you work in larger then last time?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:43:22 am »

As Obsneakie mentioned, if you abandon your fortress, there is a way to export your worldgen info, parameters and the exact seed your computer used to generate the world.

If you plug these numbers in exactly, your computer will generate a world exactly identical to your last one, only everything you've done since worldgen ended is undone, and you can now embark there again.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:44:46 am »

By the way, what version? If you liked the site because of plentiful ore/fuel/flux in DF2010, you will find that just about everywhere.

Anyway yeah, the above post shows the nominal way to get a 2nd try on the exact same location (with a wider area if desired). Next time though, make a backup of the save files just after you embark so you have a "try again" point to return to when you want such a second try.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.