Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Stories  (Read 899 times)

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
Dwarf Fortress Stories
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:50 am »

I started a site that I hope will become the best source for the most epic, entertaining, and disastrous dwarf fortress stories. It's in the early stages of development. URL is http://www.dfstories.com/ Any comments or suggestions on this site?
Go read the best Dwarf Fortress Stories

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:48 am »

While I applaud the idea,  I think it would be best that it stay on these forums, so as not to infringe on Toady's domain.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
  • Join the Cult of Toady today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:53 am »

If he wants a site related to DF stories, then let him. It only furthers the cause of promoting the awesomeness that is DF.
Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:40:38 am »

While I applaud the idea,  I think it would be best that it stay on these forums, so as not to infringe on Toady's domain.

I agree for developing stories, but a place for completed stories to be archived would be a good thing: A lot of old stories have screenshots missing because their hosting has expired. There's already a map archive site and a file storage site... So long as the idea isn't to replace the forum as a place for making/posting stories then I think it's ok.

Still, I think this might get better responses in the Community Games and Stories forum?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:08:43 am by Dave Mongoose »

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:43:23 am »

I agree for developing stories, but a place for completed stories to be archived would be a good thing: A lot of old stories have screenshots missing because their hosting has expired. There's already a map archive site and a file storage site... So long as the idea isn't to replace the forum as a place for making/posting stories then I think it's ok.

Still, I think this might get better responses in the Community Games and Stories forum?

True.     My inestimably worthless blessing is now given.

trevdogg100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:50:57 am »

Yes, my ironclad self-hosting would etch the epic stories permanently into history.

I will post in the Community Games forum, and highlight the benefit to screenshots never expiring.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very well appreciated. This is why I love the Dwarf Fortress Community.
Go read the best Dwarf Fortress Stories

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:05 am »

After looking at the site, I'm wondering how you plan to run it?

A blogging system like wordpress isn't really going to be suitable if you want anyone to be able to post their stories: you'd be better with wiki software or even just a searchable database. Rating and/or reviewing stories would also be good.

The frontpage should probably have an introduction to the site and maybe a list of new or highly rated stories (rather than just dropping you into one).

Being picky, it would also be nice if the background image was smaller - 2056 × 3084 is a little excessive!

ASnogarD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:37 am »

You could link stories from the forums, thus players could use these forums but host the stories on the site.
Least that way there is still a connection between this forum and the stories.

The idea of gathering the stories together at one source is intresting, some of the tales told are absolutely hilarious... I love reading them, especially those in a slightly sarcastic tone ...

example: ' ... and I lost a dwarf to a goblin raider, well it wasnt the raider that was the problem as much as the spear that punctured my dwarfs heart ...'