Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 0.31 military problems and then some more  (Read 876 times)

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF 0.31 military problems and then some more
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:59:02 am »

Hiya!
First of all i'd like to say hello to all of you dwarves out there!
I started playing DF about a week ago and i absolutely love it!
I got the hang out of the most aspects of the game using "The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress",
yet still i have some problems..
My biggest problem i managing military.. how do i make it so they don't get pissed off and murder half of my fortress while besserk?
I read on the wiki that i may be some problem whith dwarves leaving their posts to get something to eat etc..
Maybe someone could lead me to some good tutorial for that..
also how do i manage animals? i know how to train war dogs, but dont know how to manage other animals and how to prevent dogs getting adopted as soon as they stop being puppies..
help  ;)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 0.31 military problems and then some more
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53:25 am »

The tutorials are aimed at the 40d versions of DF and a fair amount of things have changed in the newer version. I'd recommend playing 40d until you're familiar with the basics but as far as military is concerned, leaving your squads on inactive but taking their labours off causes them to train constantly but they will take a break to eat and sleep and as such won't get mightily pissed.

One other tip, as soon as the dwarves are ok at using armor and shields give them real weapons. I tried fighting nasty things with wooden training axes and it didn't go well. Not well at all.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:25:44 am »

thx!
i read i shoud play the older version but i kinda got used to the newest controls and i dont want to miss any new stuff that might be added in new versions (although beindg a newbie i wont even notice but still ;) )
ill try doing another squad now and turn off all their labours as you sugested.. but i'm concerned about them getting pissed off getting something to drink or eat because.. there's almost nothing to drink thanks to those hordes of immigrants i got (curent pop - 82).
also human and elvish caravans doesnt visit my fortress.. not sure why..

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

Certain maps aren't going to have access to certain caravans.  Nor will certain maps have goblin raids.

When you're embarking on a map, press tab a couple times until it gives you a list of the civilizations nearby.  It changes depending on where your cursor is, but based upon the maps history, either all, some, or none of the other civilizations will exist.  Dwarves, however, pretty much will always exist and trade with you.

You just got unlucky (or perhaps lucky, given the abnormal stupidity of stupid elves right now) in not having them as traders.

As far as your military - just keep in mind that the current version is -very- bugged.  It's new, and it's really, really messy.  Toady says he'll get on it soon.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »

Thank you very much for your help guys!
While I was getting into forming some squads for defence my fortress got sieged..
Wow! That was pretty exiting :P
Drawted al my dwarves to defend their home but the couldn't do much..
Of 82 only 3 survived locked in their rooms :P
I'm curious to see if they make it until goblins get bored and leave :D
BTW i just love the game for there is so much to learn about it!

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:33:48 pm »

Oh, crikey... you might be better off just abandoning now, and maybe reclaiming it :S after drafting them, you're likely to have trouble ever getting those dwarves to work again...
Really, the most sensible option for now might be to turn off invaders altogether, or if you're desperate to see an effective dwarven military (that is, one with dwarves that can punch besieging gobbos into the stratosphere... and that equip arms and armour at least better than they seem to at present), try 40d.

As for animals, from the status screen ([z]), you can access a menu that lets you manage which of the (tame) animals in your fortress are available for pet purposes, which ones aren't, and which ones you want butchered (Tip for starting a dairy farm in .31 etc.: don't let your dwarves adopt cows as pets (bulls are acceptable), as pets can't be milked. Same goes for male and female horses and donkeys (yes, also potentially milkable)).

Have fun!
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »

oh well.. now i suppose youre right guys.. i think i'll an older version.. i just went to reclaim my fortress taking military skilled dwarves just to see that all goblins that were on the map switched to friendly  :o
i can't even slaugher them for fun  >:(
too bad.. i kinda liked what i built here..
with this being my first siege, turning it off right now would seem really boring..
nevertheless thanks for again for your help guys..
when i decide on a version for my new game i'll surely come to this forum to bother you for more help  ;D
cheers!