Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any disadvantages to living alongside other civs?  (Read 697 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any disadvantages to living alongside other civs?
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:12:32 am »

I'm considering creating a fortress underneath a human town.  The extra defense would be nice, but are there any negative consequences?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Any disadvantages to living alongside other civs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:49 am »

Not in my experience. You get a load of houses, food, weapons (and crafts and armour to sell) that you just have to unforbid, so they make good temporary rooms for your dorfs, plus the humies will defend you and you can steal their clothes. Deconstructing their houses (make sure you deconstruct the roof, first) can lead to a lot of free wood, too, and the local value can lead to larger migration waves early on.

The only problem I had was that there was a demon living in the human town I embarked to, who occasionally broke a table or door until I dug out channels around him and trapped him on a little mound of dirt.

Of course, beware of aquifiers, as always.

FZE

• Bay Watcher
  • Who are you and what are you doing outside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:30 pm »

What are the dangers of living with aquifers, by the way? I'm always warned about one when I embark on a new fortress but I never have difficulty getting rock.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »

What are the dangers of living with aquifers, by the way? I'm always warned about one when I embark on a new fortress but I never have difficulty getting rock.

You are either insanely lucky, or you have yet to actually dig in the aquifer. Meaning you settled in an area with multiple biomes and dug where the aquifer wasn't present.

Aquifer squares generate water, so if you dig them, till fills 7/7. You can use cave-ins to peirce it, or if the map freezes, you can get a bit creative with that.

Aquifers are lame!

OT: I wanted to do a hermit challenge, with the goal of destroying the human town. I was gonna engineer a cave-in of epic proportions. However, i was playing with dig deeper, the Orcs came in no time. Slaughtered everyone.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:41:26 pm »

I'm considering creating a fortress underneath a human town.  The extra defense would be nice, but are there any negative consequences?

Two things. 

One - more pathfinding/crap, so it might slow you down a bit depending on the human population living above you.

Two - Human towns generally don't sit themselves on sedimentary layers.  Sedimentary layers (white on the embark screen) are what have all your iron ores.  Those and a marble layer make for excellent steel production.  In fact, most rock layers below human towns are -usually- pretty mundane, and won't give you a lot to work with, so you'll be reliant on caravans to bring you crap.