Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Number of incoming dwarfs  (Read 1140 times)

Ratmamahatma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Number of incoming dwarfs
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:08:58 am »

Hi,
I haven't play DF for some time so sorry if this issue was already handled, or if this suggestion was allready made.
I feel there is quite a problem with the number of new dwarf settlers incoming. You start with 7 dwarfs (if I remember) and that is completely fine as you can create some attachment to every single one of them and is relatively no problem to keep them on check. Than the first immigrants come and there is 14 of them? That's a flood! In the second the spell of seven friend dwarfs is ruined and the busy work grows by 200%! That's insane rise in difficulty and game pace and ruins the game for me.
I myself work as an level designer and I really love DF, but for this issue I can't enjoy this game past the first stage. I would suggest population grown of some 20%. I understand, that experienced players can't wait to have lots of dwarfs, but for me its to big rise in micromanagement and I lose the warm contact with the game. 

Thanks

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
Re: Number of incoming dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:32 am »

True,

I like to have a some border control.

My suggestions is to have the new arrival come as a NPC's like the caravan or the goblins. Then that they can become a member of the fort by an application to the manager or king or someone, where I can accept them or deport them. Perhaps they even travel with the caravans for protection from the wilderness.

"Angry deported dwarfs band with some goblin mercenaries to besiege my fort."
  -Capturing them and doing things to them like I do to my goblins would be fun
We found the zirilid stream

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »

Yes, I agree.  A simple option for whether immigrants are accepted or turned away before entering the game map would be sweet.

Right now I usher them all into a burrow above a bridge, then drop them 10 z-levels to their death and pretend that never happened.  Over and over again, since they just won't stop coming for the first seven dwarves, no matter how low the immigration number in the init.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:23:42 pm by j0nas »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »

To be fair, it's really not your decision to make.
These dwarfs may have traveled hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers/miles (currently, on foot) to reach your fortress.
Refusing them entry is a dick move.

I wouldn't disagree with the option to tell the liaison that you don't want immigrants, but that would only (potentially) stop mountainhome-government-organized parties.  There would still be "defiants" who come despite you.  Maybe the government themselves could even defy your wishes in that regard and send their parties regardless.
That is to say, you do not have absolute control, not even for your own dwarfs.  Why should immigration be any different?

Obviously, most of that is meant for the future, when civs still function after worldgen ends and everything's not materialized out of thin air as soon as it enters your map.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:47:53 pm »

Aren't the worst of the early migrant issues linked to bugs regarding underground architecture? Once those are ironed out, the severity of the early waves should drop off, unless you go crazy with high quality goods immediately.

Also, making migrants better respect the population cap could help, which is also (I believe?) a bug.

Ratmamahatma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:32:08 am »

Thanks for your suggestions and insights.
I really don't want total control over incoming dwarfs, that's not my point. The point is, that current number of incoming dwarfs is unreasonably high. It hurts gameplay. Even from in-universe point of view, who can expect that camp of 7 dwarfs is after a year or so able to host another 14 dwarfs? As for the regulation, it can be a job of major or someone, just like merchant dwarf is handling caravans.
I do want to play DF again and this is really the bigest obstacle for me.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:28:28 pm »

"golly, it sure is empty around here" and then you get the option to trade in goods for reinforcements or soemthing.

Sounds good to me, let most all the migrants come that way.
We found the zirilid stream

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:40:23 am »

I have to agree that the number of immigrants is causing some problems.  In my case it's forcing what I am assuming are mid to late-game level goblin sieges (3+ squads and troll support) plus major infrastructure bottlenecks while I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing and get the basic fort going.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:33 am »

I would really like to have less immigrants per wave with more frequent waves

Simply, when game figures out that 14 immigrants want to arrive, It would be much better to spread them over few months.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:17 am »

Would like to see less immigrants as well, especially the first waves. Been using the init popcap setting to controll it, but I don't really want that much control over it (also, it's a pain to change  :P ).

And if a large fortress crumbles to only a few survivors, I don't think it's much of a problem if you don't get large numbers of them either, at least for a while (I think it works something like this now as well but I'm not really sure)...
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:08 am »

These dwarfs may have traveled hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers/miles (currently, on foot) to reach your fortress.

so when i smush them with a drawbridge instead

more or less of a "dick move"?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:17:53 am »

so when i smush them with a drawbridge instead

more or less of a "dick move"?

Is it phalic shaped bridge?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:15:54 am »

In the US Army, a Captain is leader of about 250 men.
The ancient position of Centurion was a commander of a hundred men.

Supervising two hundred dwarves is a challenge, and to do it well is good exercise.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:25:38 am »

In the US Army, a Captain is leader of about 250 men.
The ancient position of Centurion was a commander of a hundred men.

Supervising two hundred dwarves is a challenge, and to do it well is good exercise.

Are you really implying that anyone that plays DF could command any kind of organization before getting bored and drowning them in magma? Or crashing the entire world? Or raging because they can't find the raws for his soldiers?