Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Debate] Using "Googled" information in the hiring process?  (Read 1713 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Debate] Using "Googled" information in the hiring process?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:41:23 pm »

I've received emails from people down in Georgia over how controversial my sermons are. You see, my email address is listed with my name on my schools website since I run a club. I am also of the perfectly similar, even middle name, name as a black Baptist minister down in Georgia. People link one and the other wrongly, and send me hate-mail very occasionally. I find it hilarious, but what if an employment office googled me and hired me based on the other guys credentials? I wouldn't want to waste time losing a job that I was mistakenly hired for.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:19:43 am »

I'd hesitate to use google as a casual method of determing info about someone.  Lots of people have the same name.  Google my name and you get a photographer as the number 1 hit and a pretty racial diverse crowd of people as the others.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »

Your employer is going to check up on what kind of employee you are. He can't just go by your own statements, as many people outright lie. So he might call your references, look you up online, and generally dig a little bit.

If the job is one where security or money is an issue, he might go so far as to get a private investigator to do a background check. Look up your prison records. Your school records. Anything written about you.

In general, I expect that a bank should not hire you if they see that your Facebook is all about you and your gambling problem. A police department should not hire you if your Facebook is all about your collection of explosives and drugs.

That said, you should do the same thing. Check up on your employer as a company for workers' rights abuses and complaints. Check the Better Business Bureau. If the dude is the business owner, like for a franchise or a small business, check out his background online. Prior business activities may show him to be an awful person. Maybe he has a criminal record that you're not morally comfortable with.

But in this economic climate, the supply of jobs (especially decent jobs) is limited, and so you're lucky to get anything. And in general we think of the employer as being the one who can afford to be picky even when there isn't a depression.

For these reasons, it's important to leave your real name, phone number, email, etc off your profile. Without that it's difficult for the employer to find your Facebook profile, but it's also more difficult for long-lost friends to find you. And that's part of the point of social networking sites for some people.

If you decide to put up your name in your profile, then don't put embarrassing bare-ass pictures on it. Or if you do, you have no reason to be upset when someone looks at them and judges you for it. On one hand, your employer has your word that you're a good employee. On the other hand, he has proof that you're a vodka-swilling exhibitionist. In the balance it comes out to a negative for you and he might choose someone else.

In general, I hate the idea tht anyone knows anything about me except what I tell them. I don't want a credit score, or a tax history, or a driving record, or whatever. I want my school to record only that I attended from this month to this month and that I graduated with this degree. If someone wants to know something, they just have to trust that I'm telling the truth. Just for me though, society wouldn't work smoothly if everyone had the luxury of that anonymity. But as an American I'm used to demanding luxuries that I categorically deny anyone else. ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »

Thats if you want to be found.  You can always have 2 separate profiles.

The 'front' with the real name and stuff for the public and the real one without the real name and stuff.

But then, I don't know how much information these social networking track these days... and yea, I just don't use them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 08:54:24 pm »

I just googled my name and apparently there is a pastor with my name in Orange County California
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13:19 am »

Yeah. I just googled my name and didn't recognize anybody on the first four pages. I wonder what would come up if I googled my Social Security number...

2 results, both lists of SSN's from Massachusetts people.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:15:27 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 05:19:56 am »

Googling my name just gives a ton of hits on a body language expert, anything actually about me is lost under all the stuff about him.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 07:03:47 am »

Googling my name doesn't bring up anything.

Googling my email brings up Google Wave, deviantArt and the society bowling page I used to maintain.

If I were hiring I'd probably google people out of curiosity, though. And then judge them based on the weird, weird things I found. Hell, there's a FanFictionWiki entry about me about some abysmal stuff I did back in 2002.

Maybe this is why I can't get a job.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 08:17:47 am »

Lol, I just googled myself. Top was my facebook account. Second was some game I entered in a competition. Third and fourth were some forums and school stuff, but with me giving a polite, witty comment. Big difference from 2 years ago one some girl blogged about how I was a pervert back in school or something :P

Worst thing I found my name on now was on some bug report about companionship, where I foolishly put my real name. Oh, and on some thing about making dating bots.

Anyway, I think it's forgivable. Smart employers all know that the smartest people in the world are fucked up in a way - you'll find some really weird personalities in the top positions. Some party pics are sort of like a badge of honor. And if my employers don't like me the way I am out of work, I don't think they'll like me when they figure out who I am.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 03:05:46 pm »

The trick is, they never need to figure out who you really are. They're entitled to nothing more than your labor.

See, your employer pays you some chump change in exchange for a significant portion of YOUR LIFE. Unless he's paying you enough for you to live in luxury and sin during the other 8 hours you're awake every day, it's hardly an even trade. After all, the value of your life, to you, is effectively infinite because you would trade anything for it.

Or maybe I'm just a selfish ass?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »

Ah, the magic of a "private profile..."
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

To argue that....if your work was unconscious, would it pay less?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 [2]