Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Echoes of Imperium (4X Strategy Game)[Not Dead]  (Read 36463 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions+Dune+EFS (An open source multiplayer strategy game)
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:35 pm »

20 provinces per planet, means 20 visits to the recruitment screen - on one planet only. Then each turn when the units are completed, the player will have to move them by hand to form an army.

No matter what system I am going to use, there is no way I'm going to let this happen. The current demo system I've got running is mostly coded, but isn't too hard to change so it's not too big a deal and I'm open to less micro ideas.

Regardless of the specifics I'm thinking a general feel like this....

For every five provinces or so you could easily support a recruitment province. In a planet with 20 provinces, only five of them. Therefore, only about 1/5 of your provinces will even recruit any units at all. Combine that with unit queues and there shouldn't be too much micro going on.

How we stop buildings from needing too much micro:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flash-Armies vs Steady Buildup

Creating armies at "Barracks" vs any province

Let me propose a modification to your idea:

LDiCesare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »

The unit name should be more apparent. Right now it's a bit lost below the description. It should be the most visible thing, top of window, imo, not below the description.
Using only color to distinguish needed resources is bad. Colourblind people can't use that screen at all. This is true of required resources and of spots for buildings/units. The latter isn't that much of an issue as a texture will allow colourblind people to make out what is what. For figures, it's more painful, but showing 3/5 for 3 resources out of 5 needed could do the job and would also avoid players to need to hover over thee resource to get the info.

Also, how are construction times computed? Do you need to pay the whole price now and get the building done later (like forts in dom), or do you pay a bit every turn and accumulate (like shields/hammers in civ for instance).

A repeat building unit button could be useful, along with an automatic move to province XXX button so you don't have to micromanage your recruitment that much.

(I haven't yet read your last post, responding to the previous one).

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2010, 04:49:31 pm »

The name title is pretty weak and I was hoping the dark selection rectangle on the unit that was just selected would suffice. I'll have to tool around with stuff.

Can't I just use color blind safe palette?

Well that sucks. I've actually seen some games have a button in the options menu to switch to color-blind colors so I guess it's still possible, but there aren't a lot of variations to work with.

Color blind people could definitely use the space available section as the last three spots progress from light to dark and they'll always be the same for the last three spots with each province. I can easily have some sort of watermarked texture for available unit spaces to indicate that it's a spaceport slot vs something else. Trying to fit in amount/available on each resource might be difficult. I'm estimating that some of the numbers can get quite big considering how they are shared between many provinces. Either I try something that rounds and does something like 75/1.5k or I do something like having the amount required on the top of the button and the amount available on the lower half.

Repeat unit option is something I want, but don't really know where I should put.

I'm trying to prevent frequent manual unit shuttling. Under the current system each unit cannot move on their own. Only armies can move. I'm also hoping that some advanced system of province defense can help drastically reduce the amount of moving defensive units around. Still, I'm toying with the idea of letting armies automatically either travel from their source of creation, or appear at their destination after some time. I guess I could have them form a temporary army that automatically dissolves after reaching it's destination, but it seems kind of artificial, but so does having units assemble at a destination without technically passing through other provinces to get there.

As for how building progress is computed, you pay up front and it builds incrementally either on a fixed amount per turn, or an amount proportional the factory or industry rating of the area (see above post).

burningpet has graciously decided to throw in a mockup for an alternative way to show the screen:

A user named burningpet was kind enough to take some time an make an alternative mockup that's more similar to the standard unit screen I started out with. You can see it at:

So the main decision is between putting them on two separate tabs, like above, or put them together on one, like below:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:32:19 pm by Lap »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2010, 04:22:45 am »

Burningpet's idea of splitting the info between two tabs is better in my opinion. There's no need to have all that information in one place. And it's got a huge advantage of being much clearer this way.
(and that mockup is sexy)

Back to unit production follies:
I can see where you're coming from, and indeed the system you've already implemented doesn't seem to differ that much from the "IC" one. However, with  units produced in "slots", and only army movement allowed, to assemble a task force, a player will have to either create an army each time he produces a unit, move one army between production provinces and merge the new units, or try and put all the factories he need into a single province. Lots of hassle and general unfeasibility ensues.
With ordering units at the assembly centers(whatever they might be, barracks or HQs or something), a player doesn't have to worry about relocating those units anymore. They all simply appear at the assembly center, moving automatically along the supply chain.
It's actually not necessary to introduce any IC stat at all, the slots could work here pretty well. The main difference is, they should not be tied to the province the factory resides in.
In case of using recruitment centers, the unit/building production screen would have to get split up - only buildings could be constructed at the province, the unit screen would be available at the assembly point(recruitment cntr).

The whole point of the argument is to solve the problem of moving small denominations of units across the planet, when it could be well done automatically.

Regarding "the need to build something" problem - let's try a simple version of the urbanisation system:
(it's more of an upkeep system though)
-A province automatically produces taxes;
-The number of building slots available per province equals the amount of tax(so 10 slots means 10 times as much tax income as from 1 slot province). In a way, each "slot" produces a fixed amount of income.
-The "overbuilding slots" do not count for this purpose(1 slot + 4 over slots give the same tax as 1 slot)
-Each building costs "1_slot_tax_income" to maintain per turn, per each slot the building covers. In a sense, whenever any slot's getting built upon, it stops producing taxes.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2010, 03:12:21 pm »

The idea for the taxes is intuitive and should work well so I'm implementing it right now.

Questions on the unit production method you just posted:

1. Does this method include build times or is everything created in one turn?
  a. What happens when a factory is building something and is cut off from the targeted HQ? Does the unit sit in limbo until another HQ is specified?

2. Do units have travel time once created or do they appear at the HQ on completion?
  a. This can create a situation where all the factories are 5 zones away and units are appearing very far away. Does this even matter?

3. Is the target HQ chosen on the start of unit building or on completion?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2010, 03:50:37 pm »

re.1: I think build times can work here without a problem.
re.1a: As I see it, there are at least two ways to handling this. I can't decide on either one myself.
-The production can be simply canceled, be lost completely = simpliest but weird.
-It can be frozen until reconnected with the same HQ, or canceled by the player so that it can be used by a different HQ = more sensible but complicated.

re.2 and 2a: I think it'd be best to make the arrival instantenous(is this a real word or did I just made it up?). (IRW)Armies generally travel very slow compared to how fast the hardware itself can be transported, so I suppose it will be feasible from the logical point of view.
In game terms, it will cause players to build fewer HQ on their planets, as ther will be no real disadvantage to having one in a distant province, gathering from all factories present. I don't know if you'll think it bad or ok.
Alternatively, some additional production time could be added to units produced in distant factories(e.g. 1 turn extra per 5 provinces in supply chain). This will make the farther factories produce slower, which is somewhat weird too.

re.3: At the start. Otherwise it defeats the purpose: the player doesn't need to jump between provinces with factories to set up the production. The HQ itself should be the place where ordering units takes place - a unit production screen would be triggered by selecting an HQ. I'm not sure if we need to have a list of factories with their production slots show there too? Or maybe just a map showing provinces in supply and factories? Or both, or none, or something else?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »

Another question? In this system, there is a strong incentive to having factories produce something all the time. Should idle factories generate some amount of money to offset this?

Also, I think you need to get drunk again so you can get back in the mood and remember your plan to fix the starting location issues.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2010, 04:17:51 pm »

Right, o.k. I knew I forgot about something(apart from the thing I forgot earlier). Saturday comes, so I might just get drunk enough to salvage some ideas from the dark corners of my brain.

As for your question: I don't know, it could work I guess. But wouldn't that just make players build factories everywhere and set them on money production? This could easily devolve into "the need to build" situation.
Perhaps some alternative? I know you don't like high unit upkeep. Maybe something like limited command pool? Only nobles(generals?) can lead armies, and there are only so many of them. How about that?

There are other questions arising: like, what happens when you want to add units to an already exisiting army? Do you need to drag it to the HQ and wait for the production to get finished, or can they be shipped via the supply chain in some way? I don't know.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »

If factories were expensive and they made less money than an empty space I don't see a lot of people building them willy nilly.

burningpet just made some resource icons and I wanted to get some opinions on the style he used.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:31:11 pm by Lap »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »

burningpet just made some resource icons and I wanted to get some opinions on the style he used.
It's like McDonald's: I'm lovin' it.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »

Another GUI mockup done by burningpet to match the style of the resources.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

this looks pretty snazzy, when its done I hope to try it, and if its good I'll get 8-10 of my friends to try it as well :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2010, 10:24:55 am »

Nice, burningpet, nice.

Anyway, here's what I came up with regarding the "initial starting positions on one planet and associated follies" question:

Another thing my beer-soaked brain cells came up with is solving the problem of new world division.

ed: spelling, punctuation etc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:12:21 am by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 08:21:25 am »

Those are some mighty purdy graphics.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

llamavore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2010, 05:46:58 am »

edit: the original post got way too big. here's a summary: it's an idea about how to handle movement and attacks on a risk style map.

arrangement: Each province is not simply one place but has a central area, and one border area per province that it borders. so a province with 2 neighbors has 3 areas, a province with 5 neighbors has 6 areas. If the province has a coast, this adds a coastal area. So a province with 2 neighbors and a coast has 4 areas. these areas don't need to have their own borders they are really just considered directions from the center or corners of the Province.

movement: a unit or unit stack can move from a border area to adjacent border areas or to the center area. From the center area it can move to any border area. to cross into another province it has to move to the border area that borders that province; then it has to move onto the corresponding area on the otherside of that border. (Note that this means that border areas don't span borders, they simply are twin areas on either side of a border.) the unit/stack is then in the other province, and can move to adjacent areas in the province, including move to attack the center area.

notes: all of these areas can have individual names for flavor. this movement model adds strategic depth to a simple Risk style 'puzzle grid', without going all the way to the complexity of a hex or square grid. the terrain along border areas will make some better for crossing than others, which will tend to bottleneck attacks or inspire the use of different units that can deal with certain terrain. This implies that each 'area' or 'land' within a province has different terrain which makes sense; the coded values for what percentage of the area has what terrain can simply be guesstimated and directly put in, no complicated generation. This may influence what you get resource wise from each 'area' ( in fact you could say that naturally harvested resources are just 'forest type resources, plains type resources, mountain type resources' etc. to simplify) and there could be tooltips saying 'this land is slows down movement, this land bonuses attack, this land bonuses footsoldier defense, etc. to help clue in players.

extra: there are also ideas below about bonuses to movement in a unit/stack's home province and counting leftover movepoints as bonuses to initiative, and some ranting about an airspace 'area' and how the imperial government or church or what have you might restrict or unrestrict movement, attack, or settlement in various provinces and oceans, under threat of inquisitor like punishments or rewarding other houses for completing punishment quests against the violators of those mandates. longsummary over. thanks for reading.

original post:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:40:41 am by llamavore »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17