Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Echoes of Imperium (4X Strategy Game)[Not Dead]  (Read 36465 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions + Dune (An open source multiplayer strategy game)
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

About trading:
Are you willing to create an open market-sort of mechanics, where each nation decides on the amount of resources they want to buy/sell and at what minimum/maximum price. Then the game would weigh all these "offers" and move goods accordingly. Such trading would go automatically and anonymously, without specifying a recipent. Simply the best price wins.

If NPC factions would be allowed to participate in trade, they should use the same system, placing bids each turn.

Additionally, to reflect trade pacts, each player could sell resources at a fixed price to a specific house.

This would probably work only if the amount of resources available in the game isn't going to be too numerous, as otherwise it could devolve into micromanagement feast.

On general political outline.
This is pretty much a deviation from the standard free-for-all system of most 4X games out there. It's also just a bunch of barely connected ideas at the moment, as I'm still working on tying them all up together in a meaningfull way.

I was thinking of creating a system where each player is a part of already existing republic, as opposed to being de facto autonomous entities like in EoFS.

The central part of the game's political side would be the Senate.

There would be a number of voting options available, among others: deciding on who's going to be a consul(s); branding a faction an enemy of the state; deciding on a minimal contribution to the republic's coffers.

Each house would be required to contribute some hard cash to the coffers each "period". The size of contribution would determine the influence in the senate(voting power).

While each house would be able to own a private army, the main force of the republic would consist of Consular Army - rised and supported from the contribution pool.

No house could attack other any other house without having the senate proclaim the target an enemy of the state.

Lands(planets) conquered by the Republic's Army would become provinces, whose governors would be choosen by the senate.

The governors could choose to keep the provincial income to themselves, at the risk of being dismissed/branded an enemy of the state.

The goal of the game would be to become elected a permanent consul, a de facto Emperor.

Apart from the house's own demesne, no faction would actually own most of the Republic's territory.

(more to come, you get the general idea, I hope)

AI factions.
I thought of introducing a (Dune's)Guild-like faction of Navigators.
These would provide an alternate way of moving troops/goods across the galaxy(the primary being stargates).
By paying a (large)sum of money, a player could get his troops transported to any location in the galaxy within a turn.
Influencing(bribing) the Guild could make other houses unable to use their services.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

About trading:
Are you willing to create an open market-sort of mechanics, where each nation decides on the amount of resources they want to buy/sell and at what minimum/maximum price. Then the game would weigh all these "offers" and move goods accordingly. Such trading would go automatically and anonymously, without specifying a recipent. Simply the best price wins.

I thought of introducing a (Dune's)Guild-like faction of Navigators.
Response:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got a system for incoming messages down and I made a customizable filter so you can choose to ignore things like "production of unit complete at..." type messages or whatever. I also have been doing a lot of client- server stuff and it's really coming together to a playable game. There's not much content, but the framework for the game is getting pretty close.

Here's the things that I can't progress to until more decisions are made:

-Production/recruitment limits per province? How is production determined?

-Is there a limit of buildings per province and is it the same for all provinces?

Fog of War

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:07 am »

I haven't noticed you've been updating the files at googledocs - it still says "last updated on may 6th" or something like that. My bad for posting redundant information then.

As for production limits: I'd say, one legion/unit per factory building. Wouldn't that be enough?

Building limits: if you're going to stick to urbanisation mechanics, then I'd say no limit at all. We'd just need to make the buildings costly or time consuming to construct, to prevent sudden spammage of megacities.
Unless you're going to use the suggested "building slots" mechanics, which while less cool in my opinion, has the great advantage of making it remarkably easy to asess provinces at a glance. Gives rise to easily recognisable "production provinces" and "farming/mining provinces".
In such case make it easy and put limits varying with elevation: mountains 2 buildings, hills 4, plains 6; or somesuch.

Fog of War:
My proposition is this: any ship in orbit ucovers all units and buildings on the planets' surface, unless a "jamming" building(not viable if you're going for just a few building slots per province) is present. In such case, only sending in a spy can yield information on this province. A spy should be able to get caught.
Other than that, armies and provinces should provide some information on the neighbouring provinces and armies - less specific than orbital surveillance or spying, though. Maybe only the size of an army and the number of buildings present?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »

The enemy of the state idea sounds like it should be designed to have a limited impact.  Instead of affecting an entire house, it should only affect one general and his troops or one planet or region or the like.  Using it indiscriminately would backfire.  So if every five turns, you declare a general from a different faction an enemy of the state, everyone will be willing to shrug that off.  But if you target three generals in five turns, keep picking on the same faction, or declare an entire faction renegade, you'll be starting a civil war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2010, 06:08:14 am »

Another option is to make war decelerations limited to ultimatums and, linked to that, casus belli, like in Europa Universalis. If you've got a good reason (An impromptu blockade for example) and the ultimatum is same (No "give me your capitol planet because you assassinated a province governor on a random backwater planet") then the senate could back you in your decision. If the one you're attacking offers you peace on favorable terms (Usually a bit more then the ultimatum and repayment for your losses) the senate will usually back his proposal and continuing the fight will get you into trouble. (Perhaps a vote would be an option for the council decisions instead of an arbitrary yes or no, but that could turn out ugly as well)

A similar method could be used to declare someone enemy of the state, in which case the enemy of the state has to abide by an ultimatum from the senate or everyone else will declare war. Once a specific goal has been reached, usually similar but more severe then the ultimatum, the mark of enemy of the state will be lifted and anyone still in war with him would be honor-bound to accept piece and the offered repayment. If you feel you need a higher repayment you can bring it up in the senate, but taking it yourself could be reason to declare you enemy of the state instead.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2010, 06:33:16 am »

The basic Idea for the Senate I've got at the moment, is that it's composed of, say, 3 senators per player, plus twice as many independent senators as there are players.
The independent senators would be residing on some Byzantium-like planet, and could be bribed/asassinated.

I'm rather inclined not to include any mechanics which would force any player to act in some way. The enemy of the state type of mechanisc would simulate the independent senators' "free" will.

I.e. any human player would be free to attack any other player/entity within the Republic, but doing so without the Senate's consent would brand such a player as a "rebel", and all the independent and unaligned(not bribed enough) senators would vote for him becoming the enemy of the state(which would take away his voting rights and name him as a viable target for Rebublic's army action).

Otherwise, all unaligned senators would always vote NO for branding someone enemy of the state.
(they don't want no civil wars)

Attacking another player/entity wouldn't then automatically trigger other players ganging up on somebody - with sufficiently bribed independent senators, and friends in another house(s), the notion could be turned down.

This way, you'll have total freedom for the players - they can technically attack whomever they want and vote in whatever fashion they desire, while still having a buffer of independent senators to act as the general will of the Republic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2010, 06:38:37 am »

I liked EOFS a lot, despite it's faulty AI, and the bad workings of some gameplay aspects (such as planetary inventories, or game politics). It was a really neat concept.

I also liked Dominions 3 a lot, despite it's faulty AI.

IŽd be interested if you pulled this up
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »

I've prepared a somewhat 'nitty-gritty' political schematic for you to browse.
I realise that I'm writing in a board game-manual style, and I'm not sure if it's laid out clearly enough.

Spoiler: Loooots of text (click to show/hide)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2010, 06:34:56 pm »

I haven't noticed you've been updating the files at googledocs - it still says "last updated on may 6th" or something like that. My bad for posting redundant information then.

Haven't updated it in some time, but it was still in there somewhere, not that I blame you; those things are huge.

The new system for building:

Resources:

Tons more coding got done. The mutiplayer is fully functioning, which was by far the biggest feat yet. The actual seperation between client and server data and the transfer between them is the foundation of the game and it prevents cheating. This was a HUGE step.

It isn't fully featured yet. It transfers data perfectly and can accept an essentially infinite number of players. There's nothing preventing the engine from literally having 100 people playing the game simultaneously on the server I have running right now. Each player claims a faction, makes up a password and begins playing. If the server desires, players can even play multiple factions at once.

The main missing feature is that I haven't completed the scheduler. Hosts are going to be able to determine when their servers process turns. So if you only want your server to process turns every 10 minutes on Friday and Saturday between 8:00pm and 9:00pm you can. By being able to save/load and determine when turns are processed we solve the main problem with these long multiplayer games.

Some other stuff that I've recently implemented:

-Combat Logs (soon to come, combat animations to "play" the combat log for you)
-Better scrollable text boxes for large amounts of text
-Extensive tooltips for units.
-Basic Fog of War
-Basic Building Construction
-Second and third tier resources
-Harvesting/Production estimates
-Estimates of enemy armies (not shown in below screenshot. Need a visual way to represent the size/strength)
-World switching. You can now switch to the galaxy map and then move to any other planet with a double click!

The whole UI is able to support user skins so if you don't like the colors you can change them. I haven't tooled around with any colors at all and am using a generic black and white. I believe I can even support textured backgrounds for the UI, so there are a lot of ways to make it not so plain and boring.

***SCREENSHOT ALERT***

Here's a screenshot of me looking at an army and examining a unit:

In this pic you can see:

As we get closer to the content addition stage I realized that I'll soon be needing a lot of sprites. There's not that many good futuristic sprites out there and I can't count on just ripping all the graphics from other games.

If anyone out there can draw or knows someone who can please let me know.

Holy mother of wtf that's a lot of text Il Palazzo. Who writes that much!? *looks up* Oh right. I need to post this before my browser crashes or something and I cry, but I'll read it over now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:49:45 pm by Lap »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2010, 07:53:39 pm »

(Screenshot broken. Doesn't load for me.)

The simplified building system looks good. The one I've proposed before was going nowhere, I admit.
I'd say skip the reduction of production outputs with increasing number of buildings altogether. It makes little sense in this scale.

I'm not so sure about the resources being shared between planets automatically. It's going to look weird when you need ten turns to move your fleet to the border zones, while all your resources are already there.
On the other hand, it'll be an interesting mechanics in some ways. A player will "raise" an army on a chosen planet(there's always enough recruits to be found on a whole planet), instead of shipping bits and pieces around the galaxy.
For most intents and purposes, resources will act as money, allowing "purchasing" of armies.

Perhaps raising an army could take one turn only, regardless of size and composition(except for spaceships)?
A player would chose the commander, a province with correct infrastructure(fort for infantry units, factory for armour-types), pay the required amount of resources and the next turn an army would be ready.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:58:02 pm by Il Palazzo »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:55 am »

I think there is a very simple way you could make your pooled resources unless blockaded system involve transports.  When you pay for a unit you pay it's resource cost and you pay it's transport cost, the transport cost being the number of merchant vessels you have to commit for a turn to transporting any resources gathered off world.

An interesting effect of this is that if you balance the game accordingly, it could make a system that supports you making advanced units in central locations and making cannon fodder in the boonies.  You could balance it so that advanced units use small amounts of expensive resources (made on different planet types), which it makes sense to ship to advanced production sites before building units.  Lowly troopers on the other hand would use large amounts of crude resources (which can be found on the same planet), meaning that it makes sense to build the training facility where the resources are.

It could even be refined into a multi-tiered system:
Provincial: made from bulk resources, probably all on-world; representing local levies
Core: made from bulk resources, probably all on world, but also requiring a small amount of advanced resources, such as might be shipped; representing professional troops
Advanced: made from small amounts of diverse, valuable resources, probably not found on same world; representing small, high tech cadres
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2010, 02:14:38 am »

I haven't done anything to the post, but a page refresh still shows the screenshot isn't broken.

I haven't implemented any interplanetary resource sharing yet and I'm going to hold off on the idea until I have more time to think about it. I really don't like the side effect that was brought up. That side effect being that it would allow you to build elite units that require rare resources at almost any location in your empire.

There should be distinct differences between border planets and central worlds. Using resources as money kinda seems silly considering we already have money, so I'm just going to try to brainstorm some more solutions here.

-Some sort of trickle system where resource slowly become available to other distant worlds.
-An system where X % of resources are shared to nearby worlds.
-Some sort of expensive production facilities that build more advanced units.
-A system where you can manually send any resources you want through a menu. The resources "disappear" and take X turns to magically arrive based on distance. If the destination planet is blockaded you are given a choice of whether to turn back or try to take losses breaking the blockade. Maybe there would even be a chance to lose some resources randomly to pirates.
-Exact same micro intensive manual loading/unloading as in EFS.
-Some sort of way to create trade routes that queue up movement and loading/unloading orders. These still tend to be pretty micro intensive in games I see them in.
-Resource system as suggested by maniac.

I really don't mind moving around a single transport fleet every so often, but I want to avoid having to micro so many so often. In EFS the transports held enough that one of them could usually support 3 or so planets, but it still required moving it every turn.

Maniac's idea has some merit. One thing I wonder is how it would be possible to lose merchant vessels so they don't just build up infinitely? Maybe this infinite build up isn't so bad because they are expensive or something. Would this system impose any delays to account for resources being transported or would the resources instantly be transferred/deducted. I'm open to this idea, but it needs to be fleshed out more.

A problem with the trickle or spreading resource ideas is that they still give border worlds access to some really rare resources and it might be silly to see a super hyper mega fusion robots coming out of the boonies. Currently, the only thing that determines what units you can build is your tech and resources. I haven't thought too much about requiring advanced factories and such. It's the obvious choice that a lot of games choose, but I don't want to choose that method just because it is popular. I'm not against them, I just want to see all the options.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »

I personally favor advanced factories for this game.  There's a strategic trade off because they use up a valuable build spot and because it sounds like construction is a biggish investment.  It fits the setting to have some places hyper advanced and specialized while other places are primitive.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2010, 11:04:27 am »

I personally favor advanced factories for this game.  There's a strategic trade off because they use up a valuable build spot and because it sounds like construction is a biggish investment.  It fits the setting to have some places hyper advanced and specialized while other places are primitive.
Plus, when combined with resources being automatically available on a galactic scale, the players will still need to ship the more advanced troops from more developed regions to the frontier-y ones. If those factories will be expensive, it's unlikely that anyone will put them on outer - more vulnerable planets, just so that he can save a couple turns on troops shipping, neither will anyone waste money on spamming advanced factories on every planet he controls. This way the frontier worlds will be easily able to draft low level troops(build a barracks and you can levy as much militia or basic infantry as the resources let you). Also, blockading a well-developed planet, with high-tech infrastructure would have a sensibly grave effect on it's capacity to churn out tanks and whatnot.

In short, I like the idea too, especially when combined with the galactic resource availability.

As for my slightly overdetailed post on politics, since noone seems to be willing to comment, I assume it was too long/detailed to read/comprehend. Here's a summarized form:

In general, I envision the political side of the game to be the main money sink. Players would have to balance planetary development(expensive to very expensive buildings), house army upkeep(very high troop upkeep cost), duties to the republic(medium-sized contributions to the Republic's coffers, but growing with time) and manipulation of non-player senators(the more invested, the higher chance of success).

I'd like money not to be almost useless commodity, like in EoFS, but be the basis of Player's power.

The main way of getting rich would be to be given one of the Republic's armies to command. Those armies would be built and maintained from the compulsory contributions from all the players, so they could be much stronger than the faction's own.

Players would either make deals among themselves(non-enforced, just the general reputation among other players would be at the stake when deciding to break any agreement), or spend money to "convert" some of the neutral senators to back them up.

Those neutral senators could be "fully converted", i.e. enter "allied" status, which would effectively let the player control associated provinces and troops, as well as gather taxes etc.

The neutral senators would be a representation of all those parts and population of the Republic which are not controlled by players, and so, most of the rules concerning the senate would focus on governing the non-player senators' reactions to player actions.
In other words, the neutral senators would be the general will of the Republic. SPQR and stuff.

Players would be able to interact freely between themselves, making generally unrestricted deals(so the game should be able to facilitate exchange of ANY commodity - from cash to technology to whole planets and units), while the non-player part of the senate would present some much needed resistance to some more radical player behaviour(like resisting declaration of enemy of the state on non-rebelious factions).

The reasonin behind making the political this complex, instead of simply allowing war/peace/alliance/vote for ministry command, as in EoFS, is that having more important, while limited goods to fight for(army command, governorships, senator's allegiance), as well as more ways to pressure other players, and subvert their actions, is more conductive to sparking conflicts, crazy deals and betrayals and backstabbing, which is the best fun there is. Otherwise you'll get just a total war between factions, either with armies or economical.

With the Senate system, players can rise to power, but can be easilly toppled. Players can easily lose their leading position, but are hardly ever removed from game, or denied the ability to influence the events, and eventually regain their status.

Also, a small note re.money.
I'd like to see small denominations. No 5000gp per building constructed, more like 50. 2+ gp upkeep per unit. 100gp to convert a neutral senator, 25-50gp income per planet, etc.
Of course, we'd name it appropriately, instead of credits or gold pieces. Talents or somesuch.

(this is could use tl;dr itself. Anyway, some feedback?)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2010, 02:13:35 pm »

Il Palazzo:

I fear to admit I TL;DR'd your political outline, but I've very limited net access at the moment. Can I safely say that neutral Senators would be behaving/influenced a lot like, well, neutral Senators in that other much-beloved Holistic Studios game, Merchant Prince?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17