Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Echoes of Imperium (4X Strategy Game)[Not Dead]  (Read 36439 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions + Dune (An open source multiplayer strategy game)
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:21 am »

Are the maps going to be E-W wraparounds, or also N-S?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 11:38:33 am »

Improvement slots could be a very good way to diversify the provinces a bit more. If such a system were to be used I would probably make the tokens for hills, swamp, etc. negatively effect the available space. This could also prevent mountains from becoming super cities, though I'm sure some people would like the option to do so despite exorbitant costs.

Maps wrap around E-W, but trying to make these rectangular maps wrap vertically probably isn't worth it. They would actually wrap North to another distant North;South to another distant South.

To wrap around N-S the maps should probably be more square. Either way rendering wrap around on a 2D plan gets really confusing to players. Having true spherical wrap around really works best if you have a sphere that you can rotate. The only two options I have are to either tile the map image, which looks bewildering, or to just show the map and then give some arrows going of the map to indicate that it wraps around. The game can support any type of wrap around, but I wonder if N-S is too much.

Good news everyone! On a whim I decided to mess around with multiplayer coding, figuring it would be a huge nightmare. In a few hours I created the server-client code and got two games to connect through TCP/IP and pass a full save to one another. So multiplayer almost certainly be present in the initial release.

One thing that concerns me about multiplayer is I have idea how to keep evil hosts from prying at other players turns or changing data. Clients are super safe from other clients or cheating themselves, but I can't think of how I stop someone from changing the server code without clients knowing. I guess I could try checking md5 hashes for both the client and server, but since it's just the file size that is being checked, a good hacker will just end up making their new hacked version the exact same size as before. Any genius ideas for this?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 12:25:41 pm »

Planets don't tipicaly connect N-S, bot flying over the poles should be possible.

For race diversification, perhaps we could moddel the system after Stars! and EotFS? Stars had you chose 1 mayor trait and several minor which togheter determined if you could get certain techs. Besides that EotFS had you chose characteristics for your house which would influence relations, morale and income amongst others. Perhaps a combination of those could work? That way we can make units that are specific to certain mayor or minor traits.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:02 pm »

I just found out about this... I'd say plan, plan, plan, design, design, design but it seems you already know that...

I'll check this out later.

In the meantime, good luck.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »

So I was testing out the multiplayer code a bit more and I decided to benchmark it in a way by doing a little side project. I got kind of carried away, as I often do (which is even how this very project got started). In about five hours I had made this:

Full physics, collision, you can build ships from smaller components and command them to battle it out on a 2D plane. It was super smooth when my friend and I tested it over the internet.

It was actually so successful that it makes me want to include it as a way of resolving space combat. It would of course be optional, as it could bog down multiplayer games. Either way, it's nice to know the multiplayer code works so well and that I can so quickly create a tactical combat system.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:18:46 pm by Lap »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2010, 06:22:16 pm »

Could we use an adapted version of how Stars! handles it's combat? That is, each unit gets to move a certain ammount of squares based upon their speed, witht he one with the highest initiative starting. Each unit has a specific behaviour, which defines who it will attack and if and when it will flee. A similar system could be adapted to have your generals fight out battles during the generation of a new turn.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 06:56:57 pm »

The way Stars! handles combat is fairly similar to how dominions 3 handles combat. Oddly enough, I think it may end up being even more difficult than if human players were in control, which is too bad, because the way Stars and dom3 handle combat works best with the simultaneous turn system.

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »

Glad to see the multiplayer aspect is going well. Hopefully I can get the map editor in a good spot soon and start to check out some of the actual game code.

Just wanted to give a quick update on the editor. I took Davion's suggestion and turned off the warping at the poles (spherical noise versus cylindrical). And he is right, that the spherical noise allows for texturing of a 3D sphere. (Just out of curiosity what did you user to render that rotating sphere, Davion? Blender?) The problem is is that there is no easy conversion/mapping from spherical noise to cylindrical noise so I am afraid it is either/or not both.

So for the time being I am going to externalize the map generation parameters in a map.ini file. That way Davion or whoever else uses it can open up the editor, open up the ini file and then generate a map. Then he could edit the parameters in the ini file and save 'em. Then press generate again and the editor would reload the map parameters.

Any way enough talking. Here are some images. Notice the spherical mapping is turned off. We use cylindrical noise. It wraps at the east/west edges of the map, but not at the poles:

And now we have a province generator. It is not perfect yet, but it can easily be cleaned up outside of the editor in photshop/gimp whatever. It can render the political boundaries with full opacity or about half opacity (or really any alpha the designer wants) as shown below:

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2010, 09:11:59 pm »

Wtf deph. Stop overshadowing me ;)!

No matter what happens to this project, even if I fall down a fiery pit of doom and am never heard from again; the project will still be able to produce something of value through your editor. That editor is versatile enough to be used for the entire genre of turn based strategy.

This is the kind of awesomeness that makes me question whether I should try to make planets 3d textured globes instead of 2D maps.

I'm actually really interested in the basic concept behind how your province generator works. Some of the code you use to color whole provinces might actually be really useful for the in game world map. Currently, I just have the cities as the ones being highlighted, colored and manipulated, while the 2d map image shows the static province borders. In short, I have no idea how you colored those provinces "in the lines"

A related problem that hasn't been addressed is how to best solve the problem of how to represent the edge wrapping. I can simply have the map literally wrap around so that if you go really far left the game starts drawing the far east end of the map. The downside to this is that when you scroll out the map looks really weird.

The other option would be to have it just be a map like we would normally see, but with some indicators on the east and west edges that it does actually wrap and that units can traverse to the other side. What would those indicators be if this was the route and how/when would they be displayed?

On a different note I had a breakthrough with a sprite displaying function and I've increased the FPS by about 10x what I was previously inefficiently doing. Hooray!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »

That editor is versatile enough to be used for the entire genre of turn based strategy.
Really... I think I need this editor... (I plan on making a turn based strategy game a lot like this one over the summer). I was planning on making an editor myself BUT if Deph ever releases his (has he earlier in the thread? I might've skipped a few pages...) and it's as powerful as you say...

Anyways, I've been watching this thread since the beginning and think the design has been shaping up really nicely. Especially the multi-player breakthrough you made! I think every game like this needs multi-player features!
Lookin' good, Lap!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2010, 06:48:14 am »

A related problem that hasn't been addressed is how to best solve the problem of how to represent the edge wrapping. I can simply have the map literally wrap around so that if you go really far left the game starts drawing the far east end of the map. The downside to this is that when you scroll out the map looks really weird.
If you're going to only allow E-W wrapping, i.e. a cylindrical representation, then all you need to do is make the maximum zoom-out to show the 100% of map area. The map would only look weird if you'd allow for zooming out more than that, and who needs to see more than the whole map anyway?
In dom3 the wraparound maps seemed weird because these were toroidal(E-W + N-S wrap).

Of course, having each planet become a 3d globe like in UFO would be most awesomesauce. On the other hand, I can't even imagine the amount of work it'd involve.

I think every game like this needs multi-player features!
The point is, as I believe, that this is going to be multiplayer-ONLY game.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:43 am »

You should just have the camera stop when it gets to the borders, and when you zoom out it just shows the entire map, as Il Palazzo said. Just treat it as a wrap around map when moving units comes into play.

Just wanted to give a quick update on the editor. I took Davion's suggestion and turned off the warping at the poles (spherical noise versus cylindrical). And he is right, that the spherical noise allows for texturing of a 3D sphere. (Just out of curiosity what did you user to render that rotating sphere, Davion? Blender?) The problem is is that there is no easy conversion/mapping from spherical noise to cylindrical noise so I am afraid it is either/or not both.

I use Maya, and have that scene in the render set up and saved. That basically means all I have to do is replace the textures that are applied to the sphere, render it (takes a minute or two), and then we'll have everything we need content-wise for a galaxy map or whatever.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2010, 11:36:25 am »

I'm wondering, most if Davions textures look like they could be remade using some combinations of different kinds of noise. Perhaps it would be possible to alter the map generator in such a way that it generates a surface that's similar?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »

I fixed some more bugs in the GUI and made it feel a bit more smooth. I had to do a lot of backend work which isn't very fun since the changes aren't readily noticeable at first. Even less fun was noticing that there was an obscure built in function to enable proper word wrapping and I previously spent a couple hours making and tweaking my own word wrap function. /facepalm

I switched my efforts to making the whole map wraparound horizontally. It was a bigger bitch than I thought because it means I need to draw the same city multiple times to preserve the illusion that the map is actually scrolling. More annoying was making the connection lines and orders between provinces at the edges of the map work properly.

Everything looks pretty good now and the whole map can wrap seamlessly from one end to the other. I'll be moving onto making the message window and army inspector next. Though the GUI is pretty plain at the moment, I might still be posting a video to show what's been done so far.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2010, 02:37:09 pm »

I did some work on the options menu and fiddled around with trying to avoid making players restart their client to change resolutions, but it might be unavoidable.

I'm also working on the army/unit screen that shows the available units in a province and of the armies (groups of units) that are stationed there. If anyone wants to try their hand at a UI mockup of how it should look and how you should be able to place units in armies be my guest.

Il-Palazzo was asking some questions on diplomacy so I'm going to try my hand at that here.

Diplomacy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17