Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Underground Plants?  (Read 3557 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Plants?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 04:11:21 pm »

Just to make absolutely sure - you did add the reaction to the dwarf entity, right?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 04:13:36 pm »

Thank you for the suggestions. As for your points:
1) I have no experience with the workshops (and honestly hardly any with DF), could please you provide the workshop for me?
2) Regenerating almost every time.  Pocket world takes less than a minute to create.
3a) plants are in plants_custom.txt, the blood boils and cave vines are in there too and work just fine, as does the growing and processing of the mithril cotton.  The only errors I have right now are the graphical tiles are solid blocks at the moment.
3b) I've checked and double checked and triple checked.  The only way I can think I'm screwing this up is if I'm referencing the thread wrong.  I'll post the code anyways so that you can make sure I'm not screwing up.
3c) This, I know, works.  I can process the thread into cloth, and that takes the 15000 thread.

I'll try working on those "free" reactions in a moment.  Right now, the code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 04:14:31 pm »

Just to make absolutely sure - you did add the reaction to the dwarf entity, right?

I...I...I...
...sunnovabitch....

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:35 pm »

Quote from: Knight Otu on Today at 04:11:21 pm

I...I...I...
...sunnovabitch....

rofl.....

here is my "test" building.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »

Okay, test results:

Adding the reaction to the entity list didn't solve the problem, but probably helped. >.>
The "Free Mithril" reaction works perfectly, creating wonderful dark-blue metal bars:

The "Free Cotton" reaction failed to worked as well, producing mithril cotton plant threads.

Conclusion:  I think I'm not calling the plant material right, yet I'm calling it right on the production end.  Though, not setting the reaction to the dwarf civ probably didn't help. >.>

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »

The "Free Cotton" reaction failed to worked as well, producing mithril cotton plant threads.

It didn't fail. The reaction clearly says to make that thread...Are you trying to make the cloth instead? Have you been trying to use cloth in the original reaction..?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

Sorry, I mean it succeeded.  Typo.  It originally failed, but when writing up the post I noticed made a typo typing out the reaction and the game was trying to create COTTON_MITHRI threads.  A quick fix in the base raws and a regen because I was too lazy to edit the save's raws too, and it worked.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »

make sure your weavers aren't turning all your thread into cloth then?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:18 pm »

make sure your weavers aren't turning all your thread into cloth then?

Nah, I have no weavers on my embark.  I only made a loom and activated the weaver skill on a dwarf to make sure I was getting the right amount of threads per item (15000).  If it made cloth, I had the right amount of threads, otherwise I would get the "Not enough mithril cotton cloth" error.  Since this test succeeded, I'm pretty sure that I'm making the right amount of threads per "thread" item.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »

Hey Alkyon, if you need any help with the reaction and custom reaction/building/entity listings, I could give you some help, I've had to do quite a bit of playing around with all that.

Whatever you need help with, post it here or my guide (I check my guide as soon as there is an update unless I'm gone)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »

Ah, thank you for the offer.  I'll drop the code in your thread shortly.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »

Alrighty, I get to work on it, most likely as soon as it is there, no one else has made any requests, so I'm looking for work ;)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »

Finally got the damned smelting process worked out...you have to process the threads to cloth, but it works.  I updated the front page with everything I have, including the smelter reaction.  I want to try to make one more plant before I rest on my laurels, a plant that can be processed for fuel on those maps with no/little coal and inconveniently deep magma deposits.  I'm torn between making it another deep plant, or a form of seaweed found on the beaches.

Oh, and GRead, I'd love to steal some of your plants, putting them on the front page for others to see if you'll let me.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:53 am »

Indeed, they should I've been limiting myself with the number of plants right now, instead of creating a million different, high-value versions of subterranean prickle and fisher berries.  However, for flavor you've definitely got some good ideas going.  I wonder if it's possible to limit subterranean plants to biomes?  Good plants under good biomes, evil under evil biomes, and maybe savage biomes too.  Since the underground isn't really affected by the surface, the limitations shouldn't be any more complex than that (like "wet" or "dry").

Well, the idea was to put some more variety in my dwarfs diet, as well as diversifying thread\dye etc. As for the biome limitations, there are [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags attached to the new underground creatures, so they'd probably work for the plants too.

As for using the plants, go right ahead. No sense in leaving them to wallow in obscurity on my hard drive.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »

I think that the cave vines should be set to have a material value of 1, or even 0!

Also, did you try adding [IS_METAL] just after [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:THREAD:THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE] in the mithril cotton?  It would mean though, that you would have bars of mithril cotton.  Some template work may have to be done here.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5